F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2014 435i Drivetrain Malfunction
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
ekto
Rep
Drives: '14 435i

2014 435i Drivetrain Malfunction

Car suddenly lost all power while driving, limped at around 10-20km/h with no response to gas pedal. Entire car was shaking and the engine kept revving a bit while stopped, making the car lurch forward. Exhaust smells like death. Restarting the car results in the same thing happening. Anyone know what the problem is? Spark plugs? Any tips appreciated before I take it in to a shop, thanks.

Obtained a report using bluedriver.
Confirmed codes:
C0300 No description available
B2AAA No description available
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Pending codes:
B2A00 No description available
C0700 No description available

Permanent codes:
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low Bank 1
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What jumps out at me is the fuel pressure. Could be a bad high pressure fuel pump. In any event a shop is going to run their own diagnostic.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      06-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
ekto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
What jumps out at me is the fuel pressure. Could be a bad high pressure fuel pump. In any event a shop is going to run their own diagnostic.
ok, guess i'll look into it. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My thoughts are the same although remote diagnostics are never perfect. The symptoms appear to be consistent with HPFP failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
ekto
Rep

So a quick update... brought it into a local vancouver shop with good reviews, charged me $1k cad for diagnosis and replacement of fuel injector 1. Car ran fine for 30mins then drivetrain malfunction came on while accelerating and car went into limp mode again. This time the engine needs to crank for a couple seconds before starting.

Went back to the shop, they said because the fuel injector leaked gas, gas could have leaked into the engine oil as it smells really bad. Forked out another $250 for an oil change hoping that would fix it.

Now the shop says fuel injector 6 is leaking and needs to be replaced. Didnt get a quote yet but according to before, should be around $500-600+taxes since diagnosis was already done.

I’m at a loss for words as the costs keep piling up. Basically most of the cylinders are misfiring along with fuel high pressure plausibility; fuel pressure too low codes. What do you guys think? Any advice helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekto View Post
So a quick update... brought it into a local vancouver shop with good reviews, charged me $1k cad for diagnosis and replacement of fuel injector 1. Car ran fine for 30mins then drivetrain malfunction came on while accelerating and car went into limp mode again. This time the engine needs to crank for a couple seconds before starting.

Went back to the shop, they said because the fuel injector leaked gas, gas could have leaked into the engine oil as it smells really bad. Forked out another $250 for an oil change hoping that would fix it.

Now the shop says fuel injector 6 is leaking and needs to be replaced. Didnt get a quote yet but according to before, should be around $500-600+taxes since diagnosis was already done.

I’m at a loss for words as the costs keep piling up. Basically most of the cylinders are misfiring along with fuel high pressure plausibility; fuel pressure too low codes. What do you guys think? Any advice helps.
Wow i know there might be some exchange rate but those prices are insane. You probably could have diagnosed that on your own with a scanner and fuel injector 1 is easy to swap.

I wouldn't just keep throwing parts at the car without confidence it is actually the injector(s). It sounds like there might be a deeper issue. We can do nothing but guess without error codes and more information. Are the codes exactly the same as OP?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:47 AM   #7
ekto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Wow i know there might be some exchange rate but those prices are insane. You probably could have diagnosed that on your own with a scanner and fuel injector 1 is easy to swap.

I wouldn't just keep throwing parts at the car without confidence it is actually the injector(s). It sounds like there might be a deeper issue. We can do nothing but guess without error codes and more information. Are the codes exactly the same as OP?
After replacing fuel injector 1 it ran fine for 30 minutes, then they checked the fuel injectors and injector 6 is leaking now. I haven't seen the updated codes but now they're saying cylinder 4 is misfiring so coil pack might need replacing as well? The shop is saying they have to do things one by one to see what the problem is... is this usually the case? I just don't want to replace injector 6 and then have them come back and tell me it's still not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
After replacing fuel injector 1 it ran fine for 30 minutes, then they checked the fuel injectors and injector 6 is leaking now. I haven't seen the updated codes but now they're saying cylinder 4 is misfiring so coil pack might need replacing as well? The shop is saying they have to do things one by one to see what the problem is... is this usually the case? I just don't want to replace injector 6 and then have them come back and tell me it's still not fixed.
How did they "check the fuel injectors" - like with codes, or actually pulling them out? Misfire could theoretically be coil, plug, or injector.

Doing things one by one isnt unreasonable generally speaking, but it sounds like they are just throwing parts at the car (maybe just based on a DME code) without actually confirming issues. I am not there though... so maybe they are, but it seems strange that they seem to be chasing their tail fixing one thing only to have another pop up.

How many miles are on the car? Are you comfortable with DIY? If its high mileage and you are, it probably would be most cost effective to just DIY the injectors, coils, and plugs if you are convinced that is the issue. It would likely cost less than having them fix a few random coils and injectors, then you have old parts mixed with new parts and if they really are failing the others could go in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
ekto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
How did they "check the fuel injectors" - like with codes, or actually pulling them out? Misfire could theoretically be coil, plug, or injector.

Doing things one by one isnt unreasonable generally speaking, but it sounds like they are just throwing parts at the car (maybe just based on a DME code) without actually confirming issues. I am not there though... so maybe they are, but it seems strange that they seem to be chasing their tail fixing one thing only to have another pop up.

How many miles are on the car? Are you comfortable with DIY? If its high mileage and you are, it probably would be most cost effective to just DIY the injectors, coils, and plugs if you are convinced that is the issue. It would likely cost less than having them fix a few random coils and injectors, then you have old parts mixed with new parts and if they really are failing the others could go in the near future.
Yeah, they're pulling out the injectors based on photos they provided, and see that injector 6 is now leaking. How should shops usually confirm the issues? Mine looks like they are throwing parts at it to try and fix, and then another issue comes up.

odomometer's reading 50k km which is around 31k miles as I don't drive it that much. The big problem is I'm not comfortable with DIY and don't want to risk breaking something else as I'm not too familiar with coils/injectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How should shops usually confirm the issues?
Using diagnosis tools like ISTA-D that it seems the shop you're using doesn't have.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #11
sean2648
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

The shop you're using is milking you for money / doesn't know what they are doing too well.

They SHOULD be able to narrow down the misfires to coil, plug, or fuel injector - diagnostic tool or not. If you were comfortable with DIY you could too. And then replace based on that, not just throw random parts at it hoping they will fix the issue.

$250 for an oil change is crazyyyy

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:56 AM   #12
sachin103
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

Quote:
Car suddenly lost all power while driving, limped at around 10-20km/h with no response to gas pedal. Entire car was shaking and the engine kept revving a bit while stopped, making the car lurch forward. Exhaust smells like death. Restarting the car results in the same thing happening. Anyone know what the problem is? Spark plugs? Any tips appreciated before I take it in to a shop, thanks.

Obtained a report using bluedriver.
Confirmed codes:
C0300 No description available

Pending codes:
B2A00 No description available
C0700 No description available

Permanent codes:
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low Bank 1
They should narrow down the cause of the misfire by exchanging the plug, seeing if it goes away, exchanging the coil, seeing if it goes away, lastly exchanging the fuel injector. Whereas it is possible for both or all three of these systems to fail it is highly unlikely. Therefore they should not be throwing in random parts and they should properly narrow it down. Honestly I feel like this shop that you are going to is way overpriced and they are ripping you off. If you're not comfortable repairing yourself I would highly recommend going to a different shop. Oil changes should NOT cost $250!!
      06-28-2020, 03:02 AM   #13
ekto
Rep

thanks for the suggestions everyone. injector 6 has been replaced as well as all spark plugs which were pretty cheap. Car seems to be running fine now. Prices were on the high side, but I wish that we had the same prices that our American neighbors do.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions everyone. injector 6 has been replaced as well as all spark plugs which were pretty cheap. Car seems to be running fine now. Prices were on the high side, but I wish that we had the same prices that our American neighbors do.
Glad you got it sorted.

Not sure how much shopping around you did when selecting a shop, but even with conversion rates, the prices you mentioned seem extraordinarily high. I'm not familiar with Canadian pricing for such things in general, but $250 for an oil change, even in CAD, seems crazy. The shop you went to just might be a particularly expensive one.
      06-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #15
bshoemaker0512
Registered
Rep
Drives: BWM 435i

2014 435i drivetrain malfunction warning

Hello, i know this may be years later but i am having the same issues, my local mechanic cannot seem to duplicate the issue, it has happened to me twice, when i start the car it shakes, no acceleration and i get the drivetrain malfunction warning. I then turn the car off, wait a few minutes, restart and it seems to be OK, it will get me home. I do notice the car shakes a little when driving and the idling is not ideal. The mechanic states scan DME for faults and data, found the same 2 faults have returned, they contacted tech support, next step will be to replace the eccentric shaft & bearings, eccentric shaft servomotor, harness to DME, 50/50 chance this is the issue and cost will be 9-10k - he also stated the 4351 has a very complicated engine, anyone else come across this? only has 56k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #16
F32_Sierra
Mechanical/Automation Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshoemaker0512 View Post
Hello, i know this may be years later but i am having the same issues, my local mechanic cannot seem to duplicate the issue, it has happened to me twice, when i start the car it shakes, no acceleration and i get the drivetrain malfunction warning. I then turn the car off, wait a few minutes, restart and it seems to be OK, it will get me home. I do notice the car shakes a little when driving and the idling is not ideal. The mechanic states scan DME for faults and data, found the same 2 faults have returned, they contacted tech support, next step will be to replace the eccentric shaft & bearings, eccentric shaft servomotor, harness to DME, 50/50 chance this is the issue and cost will be 9-10k - he also stated the 4351 has a very complicated engine, anyone else come across this? only has 56k miles
which two faults are they?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 11:09 PM   #17
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

All: jumping onto this thread. My 2014 335i exhibited this same behavior on a long freeway trip this past week, and the car stranded me. Thankfully we were in two cars. We had it towed to the closest dealership about 100 miles away (luckily, our destination), and they diagnosed a failed fuel injector. We had previously replaced 3 ignition coils, so I had money on that being the issue.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
he also stated the 4351 has a very complicated engine
All BMWs have very complicated engines. That's the price paid for maximum performance from minimum displacement. It's why my 2 liter BMW bitch slaps the 3.5 liter Nissan I had before it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #19
spiff56747
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6 speed

Quote:
WTF? Your post is a few months old but,,,, they should be able to tell for sure if it's the valvetronic system before spending that much. I had the motor, shaft, oil nozzle, and 1 injector (due to exceeded torque) replaced, and the code I had was

133B04 - Valvetronic system ; no adjustment possible.

They have to do additional testing after getting that code though to be sure if that's the issue, using a test plan.

There can also be another related code

133E10 - Valvetronic system: deactivated , adjustment fault too frequent

The engine is complex, one factor for that is it uses the intake valve timing for controlling the throttle, thank the Germans for this "innovation" The older engines in the 90s for example did not have valvetronic and some did not even have Vanos... less power but avoided issues like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 05:53 PM   #20
Chris Z
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2014 335i

Having the same issue on a 2014 335i
Had the car diagnosed at bmw told me needed to replace all injectors and I did. Replaced Spark plugs Like a week before Car is having rough idle and shaking while putting the car in drive car stops shaking a lil in park
Codes:
P0301
P0303
P0306
Swapped spark plugs to see if that was the issue same cylinders misfired bought new delphi coils and replaced the misfire cylinders still misfiring. Engine won’t even start anymore just cranks like it’s not getting fuel.
If anyone could help been dealing with this issue for a month and tried to get another diagnostic but won’t be for another 2 weeks
Appreciate 0