F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Strange smell when stopped after driving
Studio RSR

09-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Strange smell when stopped after driving

Lately, I've noticed a strange smell in the cabin when the car is stopped after driving for some time, both when turning the car off and when left running (like at a stop light).

It's kind of difficult to describe, but the closest smell I think of is the smell of asphalt during construction. At first, I thought it smelled somewhat electrical but did not see anything under the hood that appeared to be melting/having an issue and no warning lights have come on, which I imagine they would have by now if there was an electrical issue.

There is a lot of road work that is done in the area I drive through (I have never seen a city do so much road work), which kind of backs up my asphalt-like smell.

Also note that if I stop the car and get out I don't smell it anywhere on the exterior, only the interior. Is it possible that a chunk of asphalt or splatter of tar or something was picked up somewhere and is stuck in the vents that would be the cause for the smell? I am truly stumped. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Lately, I've noticed a strange smell in the cabin when the car is stopped after driving for some time, both when turning the car off and when left running (like at a stop light).

It's kind of difficult to describe, but the closest smell I think of is the smell of asphalt during construction. At first, I thought it smelled somewhat electrical but did not see anything under the hood that appeared to be melting/having an issue and no warning lights have come on, which I imagine they would have by now if there was an electrical issue.

There is a lot of road work that is done in the area I drive through (I have never seen a city do so much road work), which kind of backs up my asphalt-like smell.

Also note that if I stop the car and get out I don't smell it anywhere on the exterior, only the interior. Is it possible that a chunk of asphalt or splatter of tar or something was picked up somewhere and is stuck in the vents that would be the cause for the smell? I am truly stumped. Any ideas?
Prolly an oil leak, similar happened to me.

For me it was the valve cover gasket.
But if you haven't done your oil filter housing gasket, that one goes first !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post

Seems obvious, now that you mention it. The smell just didn't scream oil to me immediately. I have already replaced the OFHG so I think it's likely the oil pan gasket. I do most basic maintenance myself but have the car looked at by an indie every so often. Last time they mentioned there was some oil seepage from the pan. They said not a big concern but something to keep an eye on. Maybe it's gotten worse, although IDK if a leak at the pan would cause the smell. I'll check the VCG too

Last edited by Itogliano; 09-13-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post

Swung by my mechanic on my way from work yesterday. He had an open rack so we were able to do a quick inspection. VCG leak confirmed
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Swung by my mechanic on my way from work yesterday. He had an open rack so we were able to do a quick inspection. VCG leak confirmed
Did he estimate the cost of replacing it?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
Did he estimate the cost of replacing it?
Yeah. He said they recommend replacing the whole valve cover due to age/mileage. That came out to ~$1300. If you opt for a mechanic to just do the gasket, you can subtract the cost of the valve cover itself, which is about $450-500, but you run the risk of having to pay for double labour if it turns out the VC is warped or cracked. He said I shouldn't have a problem DIYing though, it's fairly straightforward.
Appreciate 1
jsouth112.00