F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 N55 PWG Custome tune - Help needed
Extreme Powerhouse

09-15-2022, 02:19 AM   #1
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i RWD

Exclamation F30 N55 PWG Custome tune - Help needed

Hello guys,

my name is Simon and I am new at this forum.
I live in the northern part of Italy.
My car is a BMW F30 with the N55 engine and PWG Turbo.
The car has the following modifications:
Turbosystems Stage 1 turbo - slighlty smaller than PS2
Dorch Stage 1 HPFP
Pure Turbos Inlet
Wagner Tuning DP with 200 cells catalyst
Do88 Intercooler (slighlty bigger than Wagner Evo 2)
Stock coils
NGK97506 plugs gapped to 0,0022
Fuel 100 RON - which is 94 octane
8HP Auto Trans (XHP Stage 3 flash)

I am mainly tracking the car, so I requested a custom track map with a smooth power output and no torque spikes which are stressing the components a lot.
Power expection:
450-460HP on the crank. Torque limited to 600Nm at the crank

So I went to well known german tuner, called Truepower Software.
To make she story short:
It took us around 22 revisions to have the car somehow running.
Here a link to a datalog:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v22-ohn...32-33-34-35-36

As you can see huge timing corrections and huge overboosting issues after the gear change.
Truepower said that this is a normal behaviour of the N55 engines and that nothing can be done.
After this statement I stopped working with him, as in my opinion he had no idea what he was doing.

So I searched a new tuner in the web/facebook/insta.
I found DocVuTuning. After reading a lot of positive feedbacks I decided to go with him.

I sent him my current logs and he replied immediately, telling me the issues are tuning related.

Already the first revision I received from him, solved the overboosting and timing corrections but the car felt a lot less powerful on the top.
In total it took us 5 revision to have the car running good.
Here a log of the two last revisions:
Rev4:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/revisio...=0&data=3-5-20
Rev5:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/log-166...og=0&data=3-20

By checking the logs you can see that the car is now building up more boost on the low rpm. Which also means more torque on the low rpm and which is not so good on the race track.
Furthermore you can see that the boost on the top rpm is quite low and dropping heavily. He also lowered AFT target from 12.15 to AFR 11.8

I requested to DocVu a smoother power output with less torque on the botton and more power on the top to achieve a better power output over the entire rpm.

He replied and said that this is already the best he can do. Any further change will only stress the engine and provocate overboosting issues and timing corrections.

So I did again an internet research and I found a really interesting post from a guy which did a custome tune with David Shoup.

After reading the whole post (23 pages) I decided to contact him.
I sent him the logs from Truepower and from DocVu Tuning.

He replied the following:

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the detail on your car. It appears neither one of these tuners are very experienced on the N55 PWG platform. Your issues are tuning related and can be solved easily.

The N55 PWG has several issues specific to its ROM's that many tuners new to them dont understand. Also, the PWG boost control is very tedious to learn - many cheat and use commanded wastegate but since it forces your boost control to become open loop, it no longer changes to various conditions and the car has poor driveability.

Ive spent countless hours tuning PWG N55's and know them very well. If you need any help with your tune, please let me know

He also said to me that the Dorch Stage 1 HPFP is quite small and that the cant ensure that we can hit the requested power of 450-460HP at the crank.

David:
One critical item id like to mention before we move further - the dorch stage 1 pump is very small.

Sincerely speaking I am really unsure how to move on now.
Should I stay with the DocVu tune or should I go with David?

So any recommendation/help from your side is appreciated.

PS. Apologies for my bad english

Cheers

Simon
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 05:33 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithF30 View Post
Hello guys,

Dorch Stage 1 HPFP
Pure Turbos Inlet
Stock coils

I am mainly tracking the car, so I requested a custom track map with a smooth power output and no torque spikes which are stressing the components a lot.
Power expection:

To make she story short:

As you can see huge timing corrections and huge overboosting issues after the gear change.
Truepower said that this is a normal behaviour of the N55 engines and that nothing can be done.
After this statement I stopped working with him, as in my opinion he had no idea what he was doing.

I found DocVuTuning. After reading a lot of positive feedbacks I decided to go with him.

I sent him my current logs and he replied immediately, telling me the issues are tuning related.

Already the first revision I received from him, solved the overboosting and timing corrections but the car felt a lot less powerful on the top.
Rev4:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/revisio...38;data=3-5-20
Rev5:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/log-166...&data=3-20

By checking the logs you can see that the car is now building up more boost on the low rpm. Which also means more torque on the low rpm and which is not so good on the race track.
Furthermore you can see that the boost on the top rpm is quite low and dropping heavily. He also lowered AFT target from 12.15 to AFR 11.8

I requested to DocVu a smoother power output with less torque on the botton and more power on the top to achieve a better power output over the entire rpm.

He replied and said that this is already the best he can do. Any further change will only stress the engine and provocate overboosting issues and timing corrections.

So I did again an internet research and I found a really interesting post from a guy which did a custome tune with David Shoup.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the detail on your car. It appears neither one of these tuners are very experienced on the N55 PWG platform. Your issues are tuning related and can be solved easily.

The N55 PWG has several issues specific to its ROM's that many tuners new to them dont understand. Also, the PWG boost control is very tedious to learn - many cheat and use commanded wastegate but since it forces your boost control to become open loop, it no longer changes to various conditions and the car has poor driveability.

Ive spent countless hours tuning PWG N55's and know them very well. If you need any help with your tune, please let me know

He also said to me that the Dorch Stage 1 HPFP is quite small and that the cant ensure that we can hit the requested power of 450-460HP at the crank.

David:
One critical item id like to mention before we move further - the dorch stage 1 pump is very small.

Cheers

Simon
I wouldn't characterize the Dorch Stage1 as "quite small". I have a buddy tracking his M2 with a Dorch1 and an E50 tune. He's hitting 500hp.

Below is a link to the Dorch website that shows its flow and performance expectations. If you truly need more HPFP flow you can add a Dorch lift kit for +49% more.

https://dorchengineering.com/product...1-hpfp-upgrade

I did not see a LPFP upgrade in your mods list. Are you still using the stock LPFP? Here's a good video. I'm using the Precision Raceworks Stage 2.5v2 LPFP which uses the Walbro 535.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

You are right, I have the stock lpfp installed.
As the car is my tracktool, I do not want to achieve the maximum possible power.
I just want to have a safe and reliable tune. So if I am hitting 450HP at the crank I am more than happy.

Btw what u think from the logs I posted?

best regards

Simon
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

You dont need a LPFP for pump gas, so dont worry about that. I highly doubt you will have issues with DS1 on pump gas, either, especially with a mostest tune that doesnt run maximum boost at low RPM.

With respect to the tuner, my understanding is that PWG is notoriously hard to tune, much harder than EWG. I think harkes can give good input here as he went through the same thing?

The timing in rev5 log looks good but boost and load look pretty far below target.
Appreciate 1
harkes1075.50
      09-16-2022, 01:33 AM   #5
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yesterday we have been able to do a few more revisions (DocVu)
Here a link to the datalogs:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/rev-6?log=0&data=3-20

Boost curve looks a lot better now. Still needs some finetuning, as it is not 100% smooth. But for 90% we are good.

After gear changes slight overboost.
I think this is also the cause of the timing corrections, maybe also due to throttle closures.
Compressor after p-d KW and compressor base KW are showing as a value 0. Which is strange?

Tonight we will do a few more revisions,I hope he is able to fix it. I feel so bad guys :-(

I will keep you posted.

Thx
Simon

Last edited by SithF30; 09-16-2022 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 03:25 AM   #6
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Hello guys,

Dorch Stage 1 HPFP
Pure Turbos Inlet
Stock coils

Power expection:

To make she story short:

Rev4:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/revisio...=0&data=3-5-20
Rev5:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/log-166...og=0&data=3-20

Hi Simon,

David:

Cheers

Simon
I could have told you that about TruePower... He tried on my PS2 PWG also - and failed. You need PureBoost - Fabian Baum - he is your guy! BUT, be prepared for 15-20 revisions. I requested exactly the same as you. Less torque down low for a "NA" feeling car that has peak power above 6k. With my tune I get 500hp/630nm crank (98RON + meth).

Here my Datazap logs - THERE ARE MANY! https://datazap.me/u/harkes Look for the 98RON + Methanol for custom tune logs. Others are different OTS logs.

Last edited by harkes; 09-16-2022 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 03:32 AM   #7
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Yesterday we have been able to do a few more revisions (DocVu)
Here a link to the datalogs:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/rev-6?log=0&data=3-20

Boost curve looks a lot better now. Still needs some finetuning, as it is not 100% smooth. But for 90% we are good.

After gear changes slight overboost.
I think this is also the cause of the timing corrections, maybe also due to throttle closures.
Compressor after p-d KW and compressor base KW are showing as a value 0. Which is strange?

Tonight we will do a few more revisions,I hope he is able to fix it. I feel so bad guys :-(

I will keep you posted.

Thx
Simon
Dont feel bad. Between all my 3 tuners I have done +120 revisions (incl some experimenting). PWG is a BITCH. What seems really difficult is to increase WGDC with rpm so boost does not taper off on top. The ign corrections post-shift - learn to live with it... My tuners was not able to resolve that.
      09-16-2022, 03:46 AM   #8
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

If you want an NA feeling car then this load target (load req) is not correct. You want it to be flat or even better slightly increasing with rpm. But really difficult to control this as the turbo want to make power "down low".

https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/rev-6?l...a=3-5-13-20-44
      09-19-2022, 01:17 AM   #9
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good morning Harkes,

thx for the details you shared. The funny thing about truepower is, that is was recommended by a guy which was driving a M135i PWG...

Yesterday I received a new revision, here the logs:
4-5-6th gear
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/rev-9?log=0&data=3-5-20

4th gear:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/rev-9?log=1&data=3-5-20

It is getting better, at least in my opinion.

The tuner would like to test the MHD+ custom boost control feature today.
No idea what it is :-)
I will keep you posted guys
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:55 AM   #10
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I could have told you that about TruePower... He tried on my PS2 PWG also - and failed. You need PureBoost - Fabian Baum - he is your guy! BUT, be prepared for 15-20 revisions. I requested exactly the same as you. Less torque down low for a "NA" feeling car that has peak power above 6k. With my tune I get 500hp/630nm crank (98RON + meth).

Here my Datazap logs - THERE ARE MANY! https://datazap.me/u/harkes Look for the 98RON + Methanol for custom tune logs. Others are different OTS logs.
I already spoke to Fabian.
After sending him the latest log and the logs from Truepower, he said that he is not interested in tuning the car. In his opinion, the issues are hardware related.
And I am 100% sure that the hardware is ok :-)

best regards

Simon
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:32 AM   #11
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
I already spoke to Fabian.
After sending him the latest log and the logs from Truepower, he said that he is not interested in tuning the car. In his opinion, the issues are hardware related.
And I am 100% sure that the hardware is ok :-)

best regards

Simon
Try post a Stage0 log
      09-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Try post a Stage0 log
Will do so!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #13
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

update guys.
I am now with Pureboost...and what should I say. He really knows what he does. Currently on revision 13. car is running incredibly good already. Still some slight overboosting issues after the gear change. But nothing wild
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #14
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Glad to hear. Thought he declined to tune you? What changed his mind?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 12:46 AM   #15
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

He thought that the car had an hardware issue. As the first two tuners havent been able to tune it correctly.
current revision is V15
Link to the log:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v15-pur...=0&data=3-5-19
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #16
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
He thought that the car had an hardware issue. As the first two tuners havent been able to tune it correctly.
current revision is V15
Link to the log:
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v15-pur...=0&data=3-5-19
Looks clean!
      10-01-2022, 10:15 PM   #17
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Very good to hear it finally workes out for you. That says all about PWG. Might only be a handful of tuners that can do PWG for F-series. Pureboost (Fabian) is one of them 👍
      10-02-2022, 03:04 AM   #18
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

BTW

Log is looking GREAT! Good response from that turbo. No timing corrections under load and especially no post-shift corrections. What octane?

MAF is reading 375g/s. A rough calculation put you at 375 *1.25 = 468 crank HP

Last edited by harkes; 10-02-2022 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #19
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thx Harkes!
I am running on 98RON right now. So I am quite happy with the result.
Yesterday I was on the racetrack (Imola) and I did 130km on it.
Car runs incredibly good. We just have some boost creeps in 6th gear.
But Fabian is already fixing it.

best regards

Simon
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #20
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Thx Harkes!
I am running on 98RON right now. So I am quite happy with the result.
Yesterday I was on the racetrack (Imola) and I did 130km on it.
Car runs incredibly good. We just have some boost creeps in 6th gear.
But Fabian is already fixing it.

best regards

Simon
Yes I saw your red F30 in a FB post from Pureboost hammering down the straight! Wild high speed track. Any logs from the track?
      10-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #21
SithF30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Harkes,

yes that was me.First time at Imola.
I just have some short logs.
We are having some boost creeps in 6th gear.
So thats the last thing he needs to fix :-)
Link to the logs:
V15
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v15-boo...og=0&data=3-19
V15a
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v15a-bo...og=0&data=3-19
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:22 AM   #22
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Hi Harkes,

yes that was me.First time at Imola.
I just have some short logs.
We are having some boost creeps in 6th gear.
So thats the last thing he needs to fix :-)
Link to the logs:
V15
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v15-boo...og=0&data=3-19
V15a
https://datazap.me/u/sithf30/v15a-bo...og=0&data=3-19
Yes I can see that WGDC is all over the shop in 6th. I am sure Fabian will get that fixed