F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil leaks from excessive blow-by
Extreme Powerhouse

08-30-2022, 07:34 AM   #23
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Ive done DIY work on several dozen Diesels (friends and my own) from VW's, Fords, BMW's and literally see this residue in all of them. A little oil does tend to get into the charge pipes and every intercooler i've replaced also has a few spoonfuls pooled in.

This is essentially a very minor boost leak letting out slight oil vapour. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but your best chance at fixing would be to clean the seals between pipes and re-fit. I very much doubt your CCV/PCV is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:43 PM   #24
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
CCV pressure measured? Am I doing this right?

I found the BMW SIB to diagnose crankcase pressure. It seemed like all they do is connect a manometer to the oil filler cap and measure the pressure at idle. I made my own out of a spare cap and a manometer from Amazon. When I drilled the hole in the cap, I made sure pressure was getting through to the other side of the cap and it wasnt a dead end.

Connected the high-pressure hose to the cap adapter, left the low pressure side open and exposed to ambient pressure. Zeroed the manometer, ran a 3-minute measurement with the engine at idle. It averaged out to -1.6 mBar.

Going by the SIB it's in spec, but did I do this right?

EDIT: Above was with a cold engine. After running the engine up to temp, the average over 3 minutes as -0.6 mBar.

Last edited by capt_slow; 09-01-2022 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4016.00
      09-01-2022, 08:39 AM   #25
szczepan162
Rep
Drives: f31

Thanks for image
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 01:32 AM   #26
Jaime211
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d gran coype

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
I found the BMW SIB to diagnose crankcase pressure. It seemed like all they do is connect a manometer to the oil filler cap and measure the pressure at idle. I made my own out of a spare cap and a manometer from Amazon. When I drilled the hole in the cap, I made sure pressure was getting through to the other side of the cap and it wasnt a dead end.

Connected the high-pressure hose to the cap adapter, left the low pressure side open and exposed to ambient pressure. Zeroed the manometer, ran a 3-minute measurement with the engine at idle. It averaged out to -1.6 mBar.

Going by the SIB it's in spec, but did I do this right?

EDIT: Above was with a cold engine. After running the engine up to temp, the average over 3 minutes as -0.6 mBar.
What pressure should a b47 engine have?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:24 AM   #27
apson83
Rep
Drives: F31 320d

Hello buddy, did you find the problem of oil in the intake? I have the same thing
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:59 PM   #28
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Welp, after 9 months and 9K miles later, I think the problem is back. I noticed faint traces of oil coming from the turbo-intercooler pipe and started looking for signs of a PCV problem again.

Oil residue leaking out of intake 9-month old intake pipe

Faint traces of oil leaking from seams of 9-month old valve cover

Consider I know what to look for this time, I tried some other things while the engine was idle (cold and warm). There was enough pressure to cause the unseated oil cap to dance around, and enough to blow a paper towel sheet around.

What are the chances the CCV broke again?
Brought this up to the dealer again. Sadly, they diagnosed both the intake leak and the valve cover seeping as normal. Crankcase pressure was within spec. Cleaned it, drove 10 miles, and shipped it. Obviously, it wasn't covered under the last legs of my BMW extended warranty and was on the hook for the diagnostic charge.

Can anyone have a peek at their intake and see you have the same spots as mine? A more recent pic looking up from the bottom of the car.
      12-30-2023, 08:43 PM   #29
ssf556
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

I will look at mine tomorrow. My car is white and I noticed what I thought was excessive black dirt in weird places under the hood. It had 20,000 miles on it when I bought it and I just thought that it was a lease and nobody ever cleaned under the hood. Maybe some of that was from blow by? I have since done an engine cleaning and have not seen any of that black return on the white painted areas. Will check tomorrow.