F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Hard drive replacement - 2016 435i
proTUNING Freaks

07-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #23
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
I don't think is has something to do with the script. I got it from the bimmerfest forum from the guy who made the script in the first place.

I think the problem has something to do with using QNX in a virtual enviremont. On te bimmerfest forum there is also somebody who has almost the same problem as me. The advice given to him is to use QNX native.
So that is what I'm going to do. Got my old trusty Toshiba (what a coincidence) laptop and I'm now burning the QNX iso on a DVD.

After that I'm going to insert the harddrive I'm going to use in the NBT in the laptop and boot it with the QNX DVD and then run the script again
Sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
Spinnaker
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 F31

Oke looks i have some kind of succes.

I think the script, the virtual machine where all good. The problem looks to be in the NBT unit itself.

I booted a older laptop with a QNX SDP 6.5 DVD. And mounted the harddrive directly in the laptop.
Run the script and after that rebooting the system. After rebooting the system checked with df -h and got the same result as the 2 post before. But after booting you haven't mounted anything anymore so could be normal.
To be sure I started again and instead of running the script I did al commands manually.

First use Fdisk to make te partitions and then did the following commands.
mount -e /dev/hd0

Format with

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t177

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t178

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t179

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t180

mount –t qnx6 –o ro /dev/hd0t177 /mnt/data

mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t178 /mnt/share

mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t179 /mnt/quota/mm

mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t180 /mnt/quota/sys

mount -u -o rw /mnt/data

mkdir /mnt/data/car

mkdir /mnt/data/conn

mkdir /mnt/data/hmi

mkdir /mnt/data/mm

mkdir /mnt/data/nav

mkdir /mnt/data/speech

mkdir /mnt/data/sys

mkdir /mnt/share/car

mkdir /mnt/share/conn

mkdir /mnt/share/hmi

mkdir /mnt/share/mm

mkdir /mnt/share/nav

mkdir /mnt/share/speech

mkdir /mnt/share/sys

After that I just shut down the QNX and put the harddrive from the laptop in the NBT unit and installed the unit in the car. After connecting all the connector and swichting the ignition on. I could here the harddrive spinning.

And Yes succes. I could bluetooth stream music. For the first time since having the car I could copy my contacts from the phone too the phonebook of the car. I was a happy man.
Shut down the car. Went inside and prepared a usb stick with the latest map data next 2022-2. Went back into the car put the ignition on and nothing.
No bluetooh streaming, no phonebook and I couldn't copy the navigation database.

This was exactly why I changed the harddrive because with the old one. Harddrive function would only work 2 out 10 times of using the car.
But now with a brand new harddrive it is still the same

Last thing I am going to do is flash the NBT unit with esys and hope it changes anything. If it doesn't im going to look for a replacement head unit.
Appreciate 1
eff32fl1044.00
      07-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #25
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Oke looks i have some kind of succes.

I think the script, the virtual machine where all good. The problem looks to be in the NBT unit itself.

I booted a older laptop with a QNX SDP 6.5 DVD. And mounted the harddrive directly in the laptop.
Run the script and after that rebooting the system. After rebooting the system checked with df -h and got the same result as the 2 post before. But after booting you haven't mounted anything anymore so could be normal.
To be sure I started again and instead of running the script I did al commands manually.

First use Fdisk to make te partitions and then did the following commands.
mount -e /dev/hd0

Format with

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t177

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t178

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t179

mkqnx6fs –q –b1024 /dev/hd0t180

mount –t qnx6 –o ro /dev/hd0t177 /mnt/data

mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t178 /mnt/share

mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t179 /mnt/quota/mm

mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t180 /mnt/quota/sys

mount -u -o rw /mnt/data

mkdir /mnt/data/car

mkdir /mnt/data/conn

mkdir /mnt/data/hmi

mkdir /mnt/data/mm

mkdir /mnt/data/nav

mkdir /mnt/data/speech

mkdir /mnt/data/sys

mkdir /mnt/share/car

mkdir /mnt/share/conn

mkdir /mnt/share/hmi

mkdir /mnt/share/mm

mkdir /mnt/share/nav

mkdir /mnt/share/speech

mkdir /mnt/share/sys

After that I just shut down the QNX and put the harddrive from the laptop in the NBT unit and installed the unit in the car. After connecting all the connector and swichting the ignition on. I could here the harddrive spinning.

And Yes succes. I could bluetooth stream music. For the first time since having the car I could copy my contacts from the phone too the phonebook of the car. I was a happy man.
Shut down the car. Went inside and prepared a usb stick with the latest map data next 2022-2. Went back into the car put the ignition on and nothing.
No bluetooh streaming, no phonebook and I couldn't copy the navigation database.

This was exactly why I changed the harddrive because with the old one. Harddrive function would only work 2 out 10 times of using the car.
But now with a brand new harddrive it is still the same

Last thing I am going to do is flash the NBT unit with esys and hope it changes anything. If it doesn't im going to look for a replacement head unit.

There's no need for work like that. Way easier method available for NBTEVO headunit.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #26
SOFLouie
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: 4'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenadam View Post
  • Obtain QNX SDP 6.5 ISO and download to your PC
Did you somehow manage to get a license key, official or otherwise..
Or did you use it as a live CD?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #27
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Running it as a Live CD works perfectly well for NBT HD prep. That's all I've ever done with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #28
SOFLouie
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: 4'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Running it as a Live CD works perfectly well for NBT HD prep. That's all I've ever done with it.
i figured as much
eitherway, i have an old license, and the VM runs a time offset of -10 years
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:12 AM   #29
Spinnaker
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 F31

I haven't had much time to continue with project harddrive.
My wife drives the car and she tells me that harddrive function are working sometimes only not the navigation. The usb pen drive with next 2022-2 is plugged in and when the harddrive function work it will ask if you want to update but it will never start copying.

The only improvement compared to the old original hard drive is that the IDrive system doesn't reboot anymore.

I will try next weekend to flash the NBT with esys and the latest pszdata. I don't know if it will make a difference because at my work I can use the original ISTA next so I have already updated the car to the latest I-step a few weeks ago.

I this all doesn't make a difference I will look for a NBT evo 4 unit. That is the most easy replacement I just want the NBT system to work every time I use the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #30
donjuan020
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
There's no need for work like that. Way easier method available for NBTEVO headunit.
Please give me information.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #31
donjuan020
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30

Could you please share an acronis image of a prepared disk.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #32
Mileage712
Rep
Drives: 2015 435iConv, 06 325xi

Garage List
replacing hd in harman kardon

Quote:
I looks like the harddisk isn't locked. I looked at fdisk again and it had really strange partitions with DOS in front of it instead of QNX6.

So started all again and made the 4 partitions as per instructions on the bimmerfest forum. after that saved and quit. Then did the format commands. All went well.

But then I made a fault. Instead of using "mount –t qnx6 –o rw /dev/hd0t178 /mnt/share" I used RO instead of RW. Also did this for the other partitions. Only 177 should have been done with RO.
But now when I do enter the right command with rw I get the following message. see attachment.
I then deleted all the partitions in Fdisk, made them again did the format commands again. But keep ketting the same fault.
I have a feeling I need to wipe the disk a start again but don't know how to do that.

preferably I would like to do this proces with the script. but QNX in virtual box doesn't regonize my fat32 usb stick. So when i enter cd /fs/usb0 it doesn't find the file/dir
I got a drive but when I try to run the create_hdd.sh -i it fails to mount the partitions I created. Given I could not get the 200GB and ended up with a 500GB drive the geomtry of the disk gives me +1 on the partition sizes. Nothing I've tried in recalculations changes that. I think it will work if I can get the filesystems to work. I'm going to try the commands you show in the screen shots.

One thing I'm wondering is if the head unit itself is hard coded to not work if the filesystems are slightly different in size?

Any info would be great. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 08:38 PM   #33
ghostal_n
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
I'm having trouble gaining access to QNX. The current version is 7.1, and I have applied for the 30-day evaluation license, but they have not gotten back to me on it yet. I have also seen that since 6.6, extra steps are required to create a live cd image. Any chance you or someone else here might be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #34
ghostal_n
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostal_n View Post
I'm having trouble gaining access to QNX. The current version is 7.1, and I have applied for the 30-day evaluation license, but they have not gotten back to me on it yet. I have also seen that since 6.6, extra steps are required to create a live cd image. Any chance you or someone else here might be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks
Disregard, I got it straight!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #35
MachOne
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd 2009

Hi friends, I seek your help, I am constantly confronted with error 1.

The T180 partition does not seem to be able to be created.

I use a native pc with the QNX 6.5.0 live cd.
A Toshiba HDD that supports all smart attributes is installed in the pc.

I assigned the rights using chmod:

chmod +x create_hdd.sh
chmod 755 /dev/hd0

but that doesn't change anything.

I don't know how to calculate the cylinders, if any of you can help me, thank you very much
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #36
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Run fdisk and if I remember rightly it’ll tell you how many cylinders the drive has somewhere in the lower right of the window. Then just edit the script to change the end cylinder specified (I think yours is set to 60801) to whatever fdisk says it is for your drive.

I have used the exact same 500GB MQ01ABD050 drive and my drive had 60800 cylinders, so it might just be that yours is 1 too high. All I changed in the create_hdd.sh file was:

HDD_SIZE_200GB=60800
DEF_DATA_200GB="177 /mnt/data rw 52374"
DEF_SHARE_200GB="178 /mnt/share rw 2201"
DEF_MEDIA_200GB="179 /mnt/quota/mm rw 6057"
DEF_DEBUG_200GB="180 /mnt/quota/sys rw 169"

I also changed it to start from cylinder 1 to cylinder 0 by changing rSTART=1 to rSTART=0, but I don't think this is necessary. I've had no problems doing it though. You're very nearly there

Last edited by Zheez; 11-17-2022 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #37
MachOne
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd 2009

and well in the meantime I solved.

indeed I had forgotten to put rstart=1 on rstart=0.

after modifying the script again, it totally worked for me.

I post my script here you can see that I modified this line like this, I don't know if this has a negative impact but in any case the script still works as it should

HDD_SIZE_500GB=60800

I solved my problem thanks to the intervention of a guy on another forum but a big thank you to you because you put me on the same track and I will have solved it here no matter what.

We agree that from now on I can install the HDD in the NBT without fearing anything?

I would like to add that the HDD model HGST is also supports all the attributes necessary for the NBT.

I have another question, I have the old 200gb HDD, obviously it must be encrypted, when I put it in the pc, I don't see it appear under QNX, I wanted to try to remove the security but there it is It's beyond my skills, already it doesn't appear, it's going to be difficult.

am I going to have to buy a sata cable and opt for the method plug into the NBT?

Last Edit:

Well finally it is the HDD which is HS, after having plugged it into an external box, I realized that it does not start. it will go to the trash can.
Attached Files
File Type: txt create_hdd.sh.txt (19.4 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by MachOne; 11-17-2022 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #38
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Convertible

Just putting it out there, but any of you guys out there who know what they're doing could possibly make some easy side-cash selling these ready to go drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 04:48 PM   #39
rigz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Downloaded QNX 6.5 iso, and used VMware to boot QNX. Connected a 500gb HDD that I salvaged from an old laptop, used fdisk to delete the partitions already on it, and used the script to create the QNX partitions.

Everything completed successfully, HDD seems to spin up when connected to the HU, but still no Bluetooth, nav, or other stuff that stopped working when my old HDD died.

Disconnected the new 500GB HDD from the HU, and hooked it back up to the computer, but it looks like it’s locked now.

I have a few other HDDs I can mess around with, any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 07:44 PM   #40
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigz View Post
Downloaded QNX 6.5 iso
would you happen to know where I could download the same? or can even share it via google/onedrive?

edit: think I found it here: http://www.qnx.com/download/feature....rogramid=23647 is this the one?

Last edited by Fezza; 01-04-2023 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #41
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes that should be good. File qnxsdp-6.5.0-x86-201007091524-nto.iso is exactly the same one I've used to prep new drives.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:37 PM   #42
rigz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

That's what I've been using.

I tired flashing it to a USB drive, but couldn't ever get it to boot. I also dug out an old USB CD/DVD burner from the closet, and burned a CD. I tried booting from the CD on a few computers, and it would start to load QNX, but then fail to continue booting after asking to load drivers that I didn't have. VMware, and VirtualBox both worked perfectly. After booting with VMware or VirtualBox, the hardest part would probably be calculating the cylinders. Easiest solution is to use a 500gb drive and the numbers on the 1st page.

I haven't been able to try any other hard drives after I locked the first one. Cars in the shop. Ran through an extremely rough patch of road a few nights ago, like a crater in the middle of the street. Killed the tire, bent the rim, f'ed up front strut assembly, bearing... it was pretty bad. Trying to see if the city will reimburse me; even half the cost would be nice. Anyway, hoping to try another hard drive in a few days when I get the car back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
would you happen to know where I could download the same? or can even share it via google/onedrive?

edit: think I found it here: http://www.qnx.com/download/feature....rogramid=23647 is this the one?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 11:45 AM   #43
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Convertible

Has anybody tried or had success cloning the old drive to new?
I'm guessing my drive has bad sectors, which may very well defeat the whole point of cloning. But I would gather it's easier (if it WOULD work) to do then build the drive from new.

Also, I'm mostly a Windows guy. How do these steps differ if I have a Linux VM I can do all of this from?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 06:00 PM   #44
Grandmaster_E
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Hi all! Thank you all for the info

I have a failed hard disk as well. I've ordered the 500 GB Toshiba disk mentioned in this tread. I have a couple of questions.

Does the first post procedure work for the NBT non-EVO version as well? The labels in the photos reads 'NBT EVO'.

And in the create_hdd.sh script, do I need to change the following?

Code:
MAC_ADDRESS=FFFFFFFFFFFF
BTMAC_ADDRESS=FFFFFFFFFFFF
NBT_SERIALNUMBER=FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Thank you.
Appreciate 0