F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Chassis/ABS Errors!
Studio RSR

07-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Chassis/ABS Errors!

Hi all,

I started having some issues with my F36 today while running some errands. First it started with a chassis stabilization error, then the ABS error start popping up intermittently, and finally when I got home and parked the car, the check engine light came on. This was in the span of about an hour.

I went to AutoZone to use their free OBD scanning service – not sure how accurate that is – but the attached photo was what they found. This is out of my knowledge base, but it looks like it might just be an issue with the right rear wheel sensor, since that's the majority of the codes? Anybody have any clues as to what it could be?

Oh yeah, also when leaving AutoZone, I was going to merge across traffic to get into the turning lane on the other side and when I pressed the gas pedal to accelerate quickly, the car jerked pretty hard, and then after merging, I pressed the brake pedal and it seemed like the pedal slipped down further than usual, so I let off and then pressed it again and it was fine. Luckily there wasn't much traffic or that could have been bad.

I had my oil changed and brake fluid flushed at the dealer about a month or two ago, not sure if that could have something to do with it, like maybe they forgot to put a part back on correctly or something? I just hope it's nothing expensive
Attached Images

07-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I searched Google/YouTube and it looks like it might just be an ABS sensor replacement.
      07-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Update: the ABS and traction control errors went away yesterday afternoon without me having done anything but the check engine light stayed on, and the car seemed to be driving fine through this morning. But I still plan on replacing the ABS sensor since I already ordered it, plus I'm not sure what could have cause the issue in the first place. Maybe the sensor is just starting to go bad? Or maybe it's just dirty?

Though my question is: once I replace the sensor and assuming the errors stay gone, will I need to clear the codes to get rid of the check engine light? I don't have an OBD reader myself, a laptop, or ISTA. Can the auto parts store clear the codes for me?

Also - shout out to FCP Euro! I paid for overnight shipping and there was an error in the warehouse that cause my order to arrive a day late, so they refunded my shipping costs altogether without me having even reached out to them. I've heard great things about them and now I can confirm that they have great customer service!
      07-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
F30-Drew
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i f30

I am experiencing this exact issue. actually just purchased my car and still has the temp tag on it. figured i would jump on here and we can see what fixes the issue. going to pull codes on mine in a hour or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30-Drew View Post
I am experiencing this exact issue. actually just purchased my car and still has the temp tag on it. figured i would jump on here and we can see what fixes the issue. going to pull codes on mine in a hour or so.
Welcome to the forums! Sorry your first post is about this

Oddly enough my CEL went away this afternoon, so now I have no more errors on the dash and the car is driving fine again, all without me having done anything to resolve the issue

I'm curious to see what codes your car gives!
      07-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Final update (hopefully): got the part in today and replaced it. I meant to post a picture of the old sensor with the new one to compare, but I forgot. Below is the old sensor. The end that goes into the wheel hub was pretty dirty and had mud or soot or whatever all over it, so im thinking that was probably what was causing the errors. Either way, I replaced it with the new sensor. The errors on the dash kept popping up and going away intermittently. On my way to my dad's place to do the work, the errors weren't present, so unfortunately I won't know immediately if the issue was resolved by the replacement. If the errors stay gone then I think I'm good to go, but it seems fine so far. Hopefully that's the end of it. Thanks for watching!
Attached Images