F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > RW Carbon fitment issues, how is their exchanges?
ARMA SPEED

07-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
RW Carbon fitment issues, how is their exchanges?

Hi everyone, recently just joined the forum!

I recently purchased from RW Carbon a front lip for my 340i. Upon reading many positive reviews of RW Carbon, I decided to buy my lip from them. When it arrived, I had it installed at a shop and the lip is very off. The shop said that they literally had to force the lip in, and the double sided tape wouldn't stick properly to the bumper and eventually just came off (they were scared to use adhesive glue after) so they just ended up just using screws.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with their exchanges? Are the fitment much better the second time around?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I doubt they'll take it back or exchange after it has been installed and modified/drilled. Might have better luck selling it. Did the shop remove the bumper or installed it while on the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Wow.. looks awful - I would definitely demand a return or at least exchange.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

thats why i went with the PP front lip instead. the carbon is too stiff and they have had nothing but fitment issues. because you installed it they will never take that back. Im glad you posted this fitment in close detail though so others know not to buy that piece from them.
      07-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Grimreapa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Call them and show them the fitment
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Damn RW was on point for my LCI 335 and e92 M3 pieces! The fit was perfect! Are you sure that is pushed all the way onto the bumper?
I would absolutely show pics and return that lip
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:03 AM   #7
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Was checking RW Carbons return policy and they said that "If the product has been installed, the product is yours, unless there is a fitment issue". I had this installed by a shop and there is a fitment issue, so I should be eligible for a refund I believe. I contacted RW Carbon and it has been 3 business days, no response yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:04 AM   #8
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Damn RW was on point for my LCI 335 and e92 M3 pieces! The fit was perfect! Are you sure that is pushed all the way onto the bumper?
I would absolutely show pics and return that lip
If I push it in with a lot of force, it would still show most of the white of my bumper, so I don't think pushing in would work. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:05 AM   #9
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
I doubt they'll take it back or exchange after it has been installed and modified/drilled. Might have better luck selling it. Did the shop remove the bumper or installed it while on the car?
Bumper was removed and then the front lip was installed
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
DavidC@PRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 White 528i

it intrigues me every time i read a post like this how the shop who did the installation would go "hmm, it doesn't seem to fit right, let's screw it on anyway and tell the customer after the fact" ... my perspective is that the finger is too often pointed to the product (obviously, there's something wrong with the fitment of this lip) but why did the shop not raise a red flag?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC@PRO View Post
it intrigues me every time i read a post like this how the shop who did the installation would go "hmm, it doesn't seem to fit right, let's screw it on anyway and tell the customer after the fact" ... my perspective is that the finger is too often pointed to the product (obviously, there's something wrong with the fitment of this lip) but why did the shop not raise a red flag?
I understand your perspective on this. However, I had this done at a shop that I always go to. So I know the people working there. I had it installed to see how it would fit free of charge. As you can see, the fitment was horrible so I had it removed after. The shop did raise some red flags but I guess it was my bad on the part where I told them to try it anyways.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
RW Carbon has still not responded to my request for a refund. I sent the email out on July 26th. Every review I have seen says that they respond very quick. I double checked to see if I sent it to the wrong email but it is correct. To me it seems like they are avoiding this situation, so I initiated a Paypal claim. Will update on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
DavidC@PRO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzen621 View Post
RW Carbon has still not responded to my request for a refund. I sent the email out on July 26th. Every review I have seen says that they respond very quick. I double checked to see if I sent it to the wrong email but it is correct. To me it seems like they are avoiding this situation, so I initiated a Paypal claim. Will update on the situation.
Thank you for sharing your perspective. It is a rather tough predicament. Try calling them. Squeaky wheel gets the oil
      08-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Evil_ss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328 M

I actually had my mirror caps bubble up after 6 months, but they did send me new ones out.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Does RW make these parts?
Or are they outsourcing at a markup like most of the vendors on these forums?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
DavidC@PRO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0Chill 335i View Post
Does RW make these parts?
Or are they outsourcing at a markup like most of the vendors on these forums?
Just wanted to point out a potential misunderstanding.

Many of the brands today contract with manufacturers to create branded products.

For example, Sumitomo (which probably many people have never heard of) is the manufacturing group for Dunlop & Falken. We recognize those 2 brands, but yet may not be familiar with Sumitomo group.

Another example is that Apple contracts with Samsung to make their display screens. This is more widely known since both companies are huge and are all over the news.

I point this out because I think misunderstandings run rampant on forums where everyone and their grandma has an opinion without any consideration for the potential damage theirs words can do. There are lot of baseless opinions on the internet so I just wanted to bring some awareness to that.

This is definitely not an attempt to criticize or justify or defend, but having been in the business world in a different arena in the past, things aren't as simple as they may seem.

I don't even know why I got into all that, as I have no clue if RW Carbon does simply rebrand already existing products, or do they actually contract with manufacturers to make their products, but I just thought the blanket statement you made about "most other vendors" is just a tad unfair. It's like saying "does anyone know if Aaron has 9 toes? cause most other Aaron's on this forum has 9 toes" hahahaha

I hope this response isn't taken with offense, but with lightheartedness as it is initially meant to be more informative than controversial

I also would like to know if RW manufactures their own products?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC@PRO View Post
Just wanted to point out a potential misunderstanding.

Many of the brands today contract with manufacturers to create branded products.

For example, Sumitomo (which probably many people have never heard of) is the manufacturing group for Dunlop & Falken. We recognize those 2 brands, but yet may not be familiar with Sumitomo group.

Another example is that Apple contracts with Samsung to make their display screens. This is more widely known since both companies are huge and are all over the news.

I point this out because I think misunderstandings run rampant on forums where everyone and their grandma has an opinion without any consideration for the potential damage theirs words can do. There are lot of baseless opinions on the internet so I just wanted to bring some awareness to that.

This is definitely not an attempt to criticize or justify or defend, but having been in the business world in a different arena in the past, things aren't as simple as they may seem.

I don't even know why I got into all that, as I have no clue if RW Carbon does simply rebrand already existing products, or do they actually contract with manufacturers to make their products, but I just thought the blanket statement you made about "most other vendors" is just a tad unfair. It's like saying "does anyone know if Aaron has 9 toes? cause most other Aaron's on this forum has 9 toes" hahahaha

I hope this response isn't taken with offense, but with lightheartedness as it is initially meant to be more informative than controversial

I also would like to know if RW manufactures their own products?
No offense taken. I said what I did because it's true. The vast majority of the vendors on forums do not do any R&D or manufacturing. They buy the same parts you can find on eBay or AliExpress and mark them up for sale. Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that if that's the business you're in. I'm just asking whether or not RW does this as well. I'd like to know because I was interested in a few of their parts, but won't purchase something that isn't original if it's just a marked up copy.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
DavidC@PRO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0Chill 335i View Post
No offense taken. I said what I did because it's true. The vast majority of the vendors on forums do not do any R&D or manufacturing. They buy the same parts you can find on eBay or AliExpress and mark them up for sale. Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that if that's the business you're in. I'm just asking whether or not RW does this as well. I'd like to know because I was interested in a few of their parts, but won't purchase something that isn't original if it's just a marked up copy.
Totally man, I get where you're coming from. Sometimes it feels good to know that you have the OG louis vuitton rather than a replica

I wrote what I wrote, because I'm curious how you would know if a vendor is rebranding ebay or alibaba parts or if they are doing their own manufacturing?

Is that an assumption? or do you ACTUALLY know how these vendors do business? Just curious is all.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #19
bmwzen621
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I had to open up a Paypal claim to get RW Carbon to respond. It took them so long that I purchased an OEM front lip from BMW. I am sending them back the lip in exchange for a pair of carbon fibre mirror caps + refund of the difference. Hope these mirror caps don't bubble like the previous poster stated, haha
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #20
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
My research and trial and error efforts so far have led me to the following conclusion.

Carbon fibre splitters and especially diffusers are difficult to get OEM fitment unless you spend $$$$.

With the cheaper ones you need to take off the bumper and try to "mold" it to fit the carbon piece. Even then it's not perfect. Bumper needs to come off due to it being more flexible than the splitter/diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

if you end up selling it ill take it off your hands, its pretty easy fix
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #22
FutureDesignCarbon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Conversion

The shop screwed up the install. This set up is a very tight fit, it needs minimum of 2 person to install it properly.

is the driver side fitment ok? if it is, the guy probably started on the driver side, and just say "F it" when he realize the poor fitment on the passenger side.

the correct way of installing the 3rd lower piece is to make sure the position is good, and ALWAYS start from the middle.

if you need help to get the shop to fix what they screwed up, PM me.
Appreciate 0