F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rim and Tire Help
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
suey95
Registered
5
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Rim and Tire Help

Hey all, I'm looking at buy new rims and tires for my 2016 328i xDrive.

Rims I'm looking at: https://pmctire.com/en/wheels/fastwh...deport-30.tire

Tires I'm looking at: https://pmctire.com/en/tires/micheli...4y-139845.tire

I'm a noob to this. Wondering if those tires would fit well on those rims, and if I will experience any rubbing on a stock car?

Rims are 18x9.5 30mm offset.
Tires are 255 35 r18

Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
United_States
1756
Rep
3,026
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suey95 View Post
Hey all, I'm looking at buy new rims and tires for my 2016 328i xDrive. Rims I'm looking at: https://pmctire.com/en/wheels/fastwh...deport-30.tire Tires I'm looking at: https://pmctire.com/en/tires/micheli...4y-139845.tire I'm a noob to this. Wondering if those tires would fit well on those rims, and if I will experience any rubbing on a stock car? Rims are 18x9.5 30mm offset. Tires are 255 35 r18
they'll fit and won't rub, however with some poke and 25" diameter tires increasing wheel gap, it will look slightly goofy unless you're lowered a lot.

if you're not lowering, the same wheel in 18x8.5 ET30 with same tire in 235/45/18(26.3"dia.) would reduce the unsightly x-drive wheel gap some, has a flush fitment and will look better, imo. the 8.5" width face may be less concave than 9.5", though.

if you go with your original planned setup, be sure to post some pics

.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 01-22-2021 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
suey954.50

      01-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
suey95
Registered
5
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
they'll fit and won't rub, however with some poke and 25" diameter tires increasing wheel gap, it will look slightly goofy unless you're lowered a lot.

if you're not lowering, the same wheel in 18x8.5 ET30 with same tire in 235/45/18(26.3"dia.) would reduce the unsightly x-drive wheel gap some, has a flush fitment and will look better, imo. the 8.5" width face may be less concave than 9.5", though.

if you go with your original planned setup, be sure to post some pics

.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not lowered currently. I've always liked the look of wide tires, so I thought this might look good. But I'm positive you know more than me, so I will take that into consideration haha.

I could get the same rims with a 40 offset, now if I'm understanding offset correctly, would that stick out less? Would I maybe have rubbing issues at that offset?

I'm trying to go for a more aggressive look, so I thought 9.5 would be better than 8.5. Open to looking at other options though.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
United_States
1756
Rep
3,026
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suey95 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm not lowered currently. I've always liked the look of wide tires, so I thought this might look good. But I'm positive you know more than me, so I will take that into consideration haha. I could get the same rims with a 40 offset, now if I'm understanding offset correctly, would that stick out less? Would I maybe have rubbing issues at that offset? I'm trying to go for a more aggressive look, so I thought 9.5 would be better than 8.5. Open to looking at other options though.
with 9.5" at ET40 the inside rim lip and tire will rub the strut. minimum offset for a 9.5" width up front is ET35. i'd say an 18x9" ET32-35(ET30 at the lowest) with 255/40/18 is what you desire.

EDIT...alternatively, if you run staggered, you can do 18x8.5 ET30, 18x9.5 ET40 with 235/45/18 front, 265/40/18 rear or OEM size 225/45/18 front, 255/40/18 rear

.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 01-22-2021 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
suey954.50

      01-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
suey95
Registered
5
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
with 9.5" at ET40 the inside rim lip and tire will rub the strut. minimum offset for a 9.5" width up front is ET35. i'd say an 18x9" ET32-35(ET30 at the lowest) with 255/40/18 is what you desire.

EDIT...alternatively, if you run staggered, you can do 18x8.5 ET30, 18x9.5 ET40 with 235/45/18 front, 265/40/18 rear or OEM size 225/45/18 front, 255/40/18 rear

.
I was trying to steer away from staggered, just because it seems slightly impractical for awd, and will be more costly in the long run. But maybe it isn't that expensive long term?

I guess next question, if I get my original setup, I will have some poke. If I decide to get a widebody kit (who knows, I have dreams and the car is still new to me lol) then it wouldn't look as silly eh?

And if I went with original setup, would 255/35 or 255/40 be better? Like I said before, I'm kinda a noob with tires and even after hours of research they still confuse me.

Appreciate you man
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
United_States
1756
Rep
3,026
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suey95 View Post
I was trying to steer away from staggered, just because it seems slightly impractical for awd, and will be more costly in the long run. But maybe it isn't that expensive long term? I guess next question, if I get my original setup, I will have some poke. If I decide to get a widebody kit (who knows, I have dreams and the car is still new to me lol) then it wouldn't look as silly eh? And if I went with original setup, would 255/35 or 255/40 be better? Like I said before, I'm kinda a noob with tires and even after hours of research they still confuse me.
there are many members here with x-drive and staggered setups. obviously you can only rotate across the axle, if non directional tires, but whether it's impractical or not, is subjective. it may be a pinch more expensive long term but nothing substantial.

you original setup will poke and have large vertical wheel gap. i'd use 255/40/18 because it's OEM diameter, less wheel gap than 255/35/18 and your odometer will accrue normal. with 255/35/18 it accrues a small percent more than actual mileage traveled, if you care.

255 with ET30 will poke, though it can be reduced by adding a pinch more negative camber.

widebody kit on a 328 4cyl? personally, i would never, but it's your car and you're free to do as you wish.
Appreciate 1
suey954.50

      01-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
suey95
Registered
5
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
there are many members here with x-drive and staggered setups. obviously you can only rotate across the axle, if non directional tires, but whether it's impractical or not, is subjective. it may be a pinch more expensive long term but nothing substantial.

you original setup will poke and have large vertical wheel gap. i'd use 255/40/18 because it's OEM diameter, less wheel gap than 255/35/18 and your odometer will accrue normal. with 255/35/18 it accrues a small percent more than actual mileage traveled, if you care.

255 with ET30 will poke, though it can be reduced by adding a pinch more negative camber.

widebody kit on a 328 4cyl? personally, i would never, but it's your car and you're free to do as you wish.
Okay, so large vertical gap, which could be fixed if I lowered the car slightly, correct?

I will go with 255/40/18 then, thanks for clearing that up.

And as for the widebody kit, I have no idea haha. I like that look, but we'll see what the future holds.

I think I'll go with the rims I posted, with 255/40/18, and see how it looks. I do want to lower, but I live in Canada and the roads aren't always great + so much snow
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
18x9.5, f30, rims, tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST