F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carly transmission reset
Extreme Powerhouse

11-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Carly transmission reset

Hi all has anyone reset the transmission adaptions on a bmw f30 using the Carly app did it make a difference and for the better or the worse I have just recently bought my car and just wondered if it was worth doing so it can " learn" my driving style rather than the last drivers way of driving.
Thanks Matt.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH94 View Post
Hi all has anyone reset the transmission adaptions on a bmw f30 using the Carly app did it make a difference and for the better or the worse I have just recently bought my car and just wondered if it was worth doing so it can " learn" my driving style rather than the last drivers way of driving.
Thanks Matt.
Are you talking gearbox adaptation values, or the sub function of continuous driver influenced adaptations?

My understanding from ZF data, resetting gearbox adaptation values require a specific 'teach-in' process, which include a set driving sequence with the laptop linked to read values, until the new values are all logged. Any values left at 'zero' in the teach-in process means it isn't complete.

This is the sort of comment on how important it is, to relearn the values. BTW, this is not describing driver adaptations, but GEARBOX adaptations.

Quote:
DISCUSSION:
The 845RE, 8HP45, 8HP70, or 8HP90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission uses a sophisticated shift algorithm that includes learned information so that the shift quality remains excellent even as the transmission wears. This learned information is recorded in memory cells referred to “Adaptation Memory Cells”. Each applied clutch records the amount of time it takes to fill the clutch (Fast Filling Counter/Filling Time) and the amount of pressure (Filling Counter/Filling Pressure). The adaptation memory cells are set to zero (0) on every new transmission (new in vehicle and/or replaced for service) and when the transmission control module is replaced for service. In addition, the adaptation memory cells are set to zero (0) when the transmission control module adaptation memory cells are cleared using the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool. Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the transmission shift quality may not meet the customers expectations.
All the data I've read, nowhere does it state driver adaptations are stored. They are real-time 'continuous' adaptations. Yesterday's driving doesn't control today's gearbox behaviour.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 11-11-2018 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I'm personally not convinced that there's any driver "learning" at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

All it says on the website is it resets learned adaptions, "if you buy a used car you can now reset and adapt to your driving style" so it is a little confusing and doesn't give much information
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      11-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I'm personally not convinced that there's any driver "learning" at all.
BMW have not claimed the gearbox learns anything, as many seem to interpret it. In fact they have stated in technical data in the past, that nothing is stored, begins afresh each start. In fact, simply moving the shifter to M/S breaks any current condition/driver adaptations. It's the easy way to 'wake' a gearbox which has adapted to a particular programme, like driving in slow, light load traffic conditions with low rpm gearchanges.

Driver influenced adaptations are only one function of 'continuous' gearbox adaptation. Condition/environment adaptations (bends, hills, etc.) are just as active as the driver influenced adaptations, both working on the fly.

The gearbox adapts to driver inputs, such as how we use the brakes, (brake evaluation), throttle (kick-fast) and steering inputs (fast reactions).
Appreciate 1
Wills28654.50
      11-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
K7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 340i|18' BMW 650i

I've tried it with my Carly. I'm not familiar with any of the technical specs of the transmission but I did notice a difference..a big difference.
Over the last couple months my car started to feel sluggish, the reset made my car feel normal again.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7 View Post
I've tried it with my Carly. I'm not familiar with any of the technical specs of the transmission but I did notice a difference..a big difference.
Over the last couple months my car started to feel sluggish, the reset made my car feel normal again.
Good to know nothing bad happened I may give mine ago I wonder how long the car is in the learning mode for though
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
K7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 340i|18' BMW 650i

No nothing bad happened..other than getting a speeding ticket because I missed how it used to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good to know nothing bad happened I may give mine ago I wonder how long the car is in the learning mode for though
Don't follow what you mean "how long is the car in the learning mode?" Driver adaptations are in real time, constantly being re-evaluated.

Quote:
The TCM evaluates driving style and current conditions and compares this data to stored shift programs. The TCM controls transmission shift operation dynamically, by choosing an appropriate strategy.
Look at it this way, who drives the same style all the time? Get on an open road and the shift strategy responds to changed conditions and driver inputs, within seconds. Back off and you notice it re-evaluates the shift strategy to a more relaxed program, again within seconds, or a few changes. Have another change in style, (a bit of right foot) and it responds with appropriate shift patterns.

Next day it all starts again, drives off the same each day, until you set up the style you currently drive. It is not remembering the way you drove the day before and then taking days to re-adapt to something different. That's not the way adaptation works.

As I've already said, gearbox adaptation and values is something completely different, requires specific re-learn/teach-in procedures.
Appreciate 1
Wills28654.50
      11-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Quote:
Thanks Matt.
I did mine last month before going to Germany and it seemed a lot smoother. MPG improved too even with a lot of autobahn speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
Quote:
Thanks Matt.
I did mine last month before going to Germany and it seemed a lot smoother. MPG improved too even with a lot of autobahn speeds.
Did you do it through Carly or a different method ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Not sure but on my old E90 330D you could reset by turning the car on and pressing the gas pedal down to the floor for 30 or 60 seconds ( not starting the engine just turning the ignition on )

Afterwards the car felt different, the gearbox lag would disappear and car would change gear different.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
Not sure but on my old E90 330D you could reset by turning the car on and pressing the gas pedal down to the floor for 30 or 60 seconds ( not starting the engine just turning the ignition on )

Afterwards the car felt different, the gearbox lag would disappear and car would change gear different.
Did you try a placebo too?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #14
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you try a placebo too?
Say again ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Don't follow what you mean "how long is the car in the learning mode?" Driver adaptations are in real time, constantly being re-evaluated.

Look at it this way, who drives the same style all the time? Get on an open road and the shift strategy responds to changed conditions and driver inputs, within seconds. Back off and you notice it re-evaluates the shift strategy to a more relaxed program, again within seconds, or a few changes. Have another change in style, (a bit of right foot) and it responds with appropriate shift patterns.

Next day it all starts again, drives off the same each day, until you set up the style you currently drive. It is not remembering the way you drove the day before and then taking days to re-adapt to something different. That's not the way adaptation works.

As I've already said, gearbox adaptation and values is something completely different, requires specific re-learn/teach-in procedures.
That doesn't sound like learning Pete - just an algorithm responding to inputs in a predictable fashion.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #16
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Say again ?
Well, I meant how can you be sure you weren't imagining the improvements? When we expect things to be better they often are. It's human nature and it's called the placebo effect. Tablets with nothing in them except sugar make people feel better if they're told they are painkillers.

I've suffered from the same problem in the past with cars - such as believing that posh diesel in my old 330d made the engine less clattery (it didn't), that 98 petrol in my 335i noticeably improves mpg (it doesn't), that greasing the steering column or fiddling with the tyre pressures in my Z4 improved the steering twitchiness (it didn't). It took time for me to realise the truth.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:00 AM   #17
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did you do it through Carly or a different method ?
Using the Carly app
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #18
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Seems to be that the Carly app doesn't reset the transmission in the way of it needing relearning using a certain sequence of driving as I don't have the time or skill to perform that procedure

Matt.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't sound like learning Pete - just an algorithm responding to inputs in a predictable fashion.
Many users have the wrong interpretation of driving style adaptation, as if the car learns your style and any other driver has to put up with that style, until in some future time it has "re-learned" a new style. Driver influenced adaptation is often stated as continuous evaluation or assessment, the analysing of data, and then acting on driver inputs.

The ZF 8-speed uses the ASIS platform.

Quote:
ASIS Adaptive Shift Strategy
The 8HP is also equipped with ASIS (Adaptive Shift Strategy), which mirrors the driver’s mood within seconds, sharpening up response during quicker driving then slipping seamlessly into a more economical regime when the driver resumes a more relaxed approach. The Curve function prevents shifting when cornering and the Fast-Off function measures the rate of throttle release, anticipates further requests by the driver for high power (such as when contemplating an overtake), then holds the gear, if necessary. If the driver requests a downshift when the vehicle is traveling too fast, the transmission will remember the request and make the shift when the speed drops to an appropriate level.
We note "mirrors within seconds". BMW's own data for the ZF8 says; "Driver type adaptation offers a temporary adaptation of the basic map".

For example, accelerator influenced adaptation.

Quote:
Fast depressing of the accelerator pedal

This function can change the basic map depending on the speed with which the accelerator pedal is depressed. For this reason, the determined accelerator pedal value is compared with threshold values that are saved in the control unit. This comparison leads to a temporary modification of the basic map.
Again, note it's a temporary modification, or adaptation.

I'm not getting what the 'reset' is actually doing, I suspect it's the old 'chestnut', around throttle adaptation defaults. It's certainly not gearbox adaptation values, we don't want to be messing with those, without valid reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #20
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Seems to be that the Carly app doesn't reset the transmission in the way of it needing relearning using a certain sequence of driving as I don't have the time or skill to perform that procedure

Matt.
Don’t know what the sequence is. I just reset using Carly then drove around in the car. As I said iit was and still the s smoother. MPG improved probably due to gears not been held as long before it changed up.
The gearbox is still smoother now with at least 3,000 miles on it since it was reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #21
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I meant how can you be sure you weren't imagining the improvements? When we expect things to be better they often are. It's human nature and it's called the placebo effect. Tablets with nothing in them except sugar make people feel better if they're told they are painkillers.

I've suffered from the same problem in the past with cars - such as believing that posh diesel in my old 330d made the engine less clattery (it didn't), that 98 petrol in my 335i noticeably improves mpg (it doesn't), that greasing the steering column or fiddling with the tyre pressures in my Z4 improved the steering twitchiness (it didn't). It took time for me to realise the truth.
Ok got it.

I can honestly say it was different. My biggest issue with my E90 was the crap gear change. It was my first automatic and wasn't sold, in fact I was gutted that a VW with 200K miles on the clock was smoother than my BMW at the time

I had the gear box oil changed and new gasket set fitted during the process for £500 by a BMW independent garage. It was that bad for me and my OCD

I can honestly say that doing this changed the gearbox, it would go back to its old ways fairly quickly, like few days/weeks

In the end the crappy gearbox and brakes forced me to sell the car.

The F30 8 speed gearbox is totally different and what the E90 should have been for me
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can honestly say that doing this changed the gearbox, it would go back to its old ways fairly quickly, like few days/weeks
Using the old press the throttle for 30+ seconds method, is not resetting the gearbox adaptations, or any learned gearbox behaviour, it's more a recalibration of the throttle position.

As you say that soon changes again, hence why some users perform the function (if it works for them) quite regularly.
Appreciate 0