F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Water meth injection for cooling
proTUNING Freaks

05-19-2020, 03:42 AM   #1
2rbolag
Private
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Water meth injection for cooling

I'll be running the dorch s2 pump and I'd like some personal input from those running wmi for strictly cooling and valvetrain "cleaning".

So since supplemental fuel is not my biggest concern, is a upgraded controller still something that's crucial or can the bms wmi kit without a upgrade from say aquamist hfs4 or torqbyte still a must have or not?
Appreciate 2
Supr3me552.00
      05-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Following. I'm on Dorch Stage 2 E50 and Pure800 and have said I won't go the meth route but definitely curious why/when people decide to include it and what all would be included.
Is there a certain PSI or power level that you think it's important to consider it?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Does the DME try to run closed loop lambda under load? Or does it go open loop above a load threshold like all other ECUs? I'm still looking for a good primer on how the DME works, if anyone has any suggestions. I've poked through the maps and def files on github, but they're not well-commented.

I'm planning on eventually running injection too and that would be my primary concern, since adding a step change in fueling under load could have unintended consequences. I'd like to run at least one ~30 micron nozzle in front of the turbo to improve its efficiency. I live in Denver and the elevation is still a killer for turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogram View Post
Does the DME try to run closed loop lambda under load? Or does it go open loop above a load threshold like all other ECUs? I'm still looking for a good primer on how the DME works, if anyone has any suggestions. I've poked through the maps and def files on github, but they're not well-commented.

I'm planning on eventually running injection too and that would be my primary concern, since adding a step change in fueling under load could have unintended consequences. I'd like to run at least one ~30 micron nozzle in front of the turbo to improve its efficiency. I live in Denver and the elevation is still a killer for turbo cars.
Yo I'm in Broomfield. Have we spoke before?
I'm not sure how meth would impact us. We're oxygen limited up here at elevation. Meth is typically used for cooling and additional fuel, but if that's the route you're taking, then by all means.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
kilogram
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Yo I'm in Broomfield. Have we spoke before?
I'm not sure how meth would impact us. We're oxygen limited up here at elevation. Meth is typically used for cooling and additional fuel, but if that's the route you're taking, then by all means.
Yeah, we've spoken before in IMs, I'm over by Ball Aerospace, I just don't get out much ..

I'm thinking more in terms of the fact that we only get 91 octane here, and there's some overhead to be found in terms of compressor efficiency with PCI. I don't plan on tuning beyond 91 octane, but I'd like some safety net for hot days. We're also very low humidity here, and while the MAF can adjust for changes in density to some degree, it can't adjust for humidity. And lower relative humidity means we actually get a bit MORE oxygen per unit of mass flow than the MAF would account for (O2 content can vary by as much as 18% WRT humidity). I've seen it in a few different MAF cars that tend to run leaner up here than down in the swamps of the midwest. Not an issue if the DME runs closed loop lambda under high load, but I'm pretty new to these cars and don't know how that works just yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, we've spoken before in IMs, I'm over by Ball Aerospace, I just don't get out much ..

I'm thinking more in terms of the fact that we only get 91 octane here, and there's some overhead to be found in terms of compressor efficiency with PCI. I don't plan on tuning beyond 91 octane, but I'd like some safety net for hot days. We're also very low humidity here, and while the MAF can adjust for changes in density to some degree, it can't adjust for humidity. And lower relative humidity means we actually get a bit MORE oxygen per unit of mass flow than the MAF would account for (O2 content can vary by as much as 18% WRT humidity). I've seen it in a few different MAF cars that tend to run leaner up here than down in the swamps of the midwest. Not an issue if the DME runs closed loop lambda under high load, but I'm pretty new to these cars and don't know how that works just yet.
Right, couldn't remember haha. We just had a big BMW cruise on Sunday from 120th to Lookout Mountain. Shoulda joined us!
You're right next to me lol. I'm right across from 1st Bank Center!

I know you mentioned you don't plan on going past 91, but have you thought about experimenting with ethanol? That would help solve the octane issue. There's a shit ton of E85 stations near us. I've been running the Stage 2 E30 map for a few weeks and my logs (and car) feel great. Could take you on a (masked) ride along. My AFR tapers down to low 13's around 5k rpm, and I assume into the upper 12's (couldn't log that high on public roads) in the higher rpms.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
kilogram
Private
Rep

Quote:
Right, couldn't remember haha. We just had a big BMW cruise on Sunday from 120th to Lookout Mountain. Shoulda joined us!

I know you mentioned you don't plan on going past 91, but have you thought about experimenting with ethanol? That would help solve the octane issue. There's a shit ton of E85 stations near us. I've been running the Stage 2 E30 map for a few weeks and my logs (and car) feel great. Could take you on a (masked) ride along. My AFR tapers down to low 13's around 5k rpm, and I assume into the upper 12's (couldn't log that high on public roads) in the higher rpms.
Interesting. I had an MR2 Turbo that ran E85 when we moved here from MN 8 years ago. Back in MN, we had E85 stations on practically every corner and it was a buck a gallon cheaper than regular unleaded. Here's it's more expensive than premium (or was, anyway) so I sold the car about a year after we moved here because finding E85 became too much of a pain in the ass. Maybe that's changed? The only one I knew of nearby was the Hill/Sinclair down on Ralston. Are you running BM3 or MHD?

Ride along might be a good idea. Things are crazy right now (moving to Reunion at the end of June. It's the middle of nowhere, but who can say no to a 4 car garage) but maybe later in the month? I'd be interested to see how another tuned B58 feels..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I had an MR2 Turbo that ran E85 when we moved here from MN 8 years ago. Back in MN, we had E85 stations on practically every corner and it was a buck a gallon cheaper than regular unleaded. Here's it's more expensive than premium (or was, anyway) so I sold the car about a year after we moved here because finding E85 became too much of a pain in the ass. Maybe that's changed? The only one I knew of nearby was the Hill/Sinclair down on Ralston. Are you running BM3 or MHD?

Ride along might be a good idea. Things are crazy right now (moving to Reunion at the end of June. It's the middle of nowhere, but who can say no to a 4 car garage) but maybe later in the month? I'd be interested to see how another tuned B58 feels..
Within a 10-15 minute drive, there's probably 3-5 E85 stations near me. Kum & Go is consistently E70. Alta was E90, but now they're back to shit E60. Hill on Ralston is always E85 since they mix it themselves. Kum & Go is about $1.69 per gallon for ethanol, so not too bad. My mpg only dropped a 1-2mpg after switching to E30.

With the way CO's housing market is, I don't blame you. Affordable (somewhat) + 4-car garage = middle of nowhere. Otherwise that's an $800k+ home haha.

Dude for sure. bmw22915 is local too and has a BigBoost Stage 3 on his 440. Slide in my DM's whenever you want to setup a ride along since we're so close.
Can't remember if I asked, but if you're on social media, the local BMW groups are hella active.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I have a heavily modified 440i that I would be more than happy to do a ride along with.

G.Newt and I are close to you and both have tuned B58's
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Run Logs. If IATs are high and not coming down, then additional cooling is needed.

Water meth works great but if you're only worried about cooling, just spraying water works too.

More advanced controllers have better fail safes and control over the spray. So you can ramp up how much you're spraying based on boost/rpm vs it just being an on/off switch. Basically it gives you more capability to fine tune how it's used.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0