F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dyno issues
GetBMWParts

06-19-2023, 11:47 PM   #1
321eurotuner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Dyno issues

What’s everyone’s work around to getting your RWD car to cooperate on the dyno?

Today I had my 2018 340i rwd on a Dyno Jet. We did a baseline run 2 months ago before I installed my upgraded turbo and it did fine in Roller Mode. No issues.

Today, I put the car in roller mode except it would cut at 4200 rpm every time. We tried having the hood open, closed, Sport +, DSC Off, roller mode. I even took it off the dyno to drive it around to clear out the ABS/brake fault and it was fine. No codes or errors. Back on the dyno and the same thing.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:48 AM   #2
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321eurotuner View Post
What’s everyone’s work around to getting your RWD car to cooperate on the dyno?

Today I had my 2018 340i rwd on a Dyno Jet. We did a baseline run 2 months ago before I installed my upgraded turbo and it did fine in Roller Mode. No issues.

Today, I put the car in roller mode except it would cut at 4200 rpm every time. We tried having the hood open, closed, Sport +, DSC Off, roller mode. I even took it off the dyno to drive it around to clear out the ABS/brake fault and it was fine. No codes or errors. Back on the dyno and the same thing.

Any ideas?
I recently got my car dynoed and had "successful" dyno runs as in I was able to fully get through the RPM in 5th gear. The problem I was facing was the 2048 torque limiter which basically held back power throughout the powerband and while my tuner tried to fully disable that soft limiter the car ended up cutting around similar rpms 3500-4500rpms.

For the future you should ask the dyno operator to set the dyno in AWD mode if its a dyno jet. At that point I think the hubs need to be locked? Or you need a tow hook. That should completely eliminate any problems and should run at your tune's power level
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
321eurotuner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

I was reviewing my baseline GoPro videos which were filmed from inside the car and saw that the speedometer was showing 0mph. If I remember correctly, yesterday it was showing a speed. I’m thinking that the car wouldn’t go into dyno mode? It still doesn’t make any sense to me based off everything that we tried. Under partial throttle the car had no issues going to 6000 rpm. Once it was under load it would cut at 4200. On the street, no issues.
Appreciate 0