F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 325d Loss of power and Cooling Fan going Bezzerk
proTUNING Freaks

05-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
nilz76
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 325d

325d Loss of power and Cooling Fan going Bezzerk

Hi all, just thought I'd mention to all that my car (64 plate 325d) yesterday went into limp mode. Car has only done 12700 miles.

I only drove it home after work and then all of a sudden, I lost power (no faults reported on iDrive). I pulled over and switched the engine off and could hear the cooling fan going crazy. I left it off for 10 mins and then carried on home. Same thing happened again just as I pulled into my driveway.

I rang BMW Sytner to book it in and the BMW Assist service team, stated that an engineer would visit this morning. He did.(I drove the car this morning to work and car seemed fine)

He ran the diagnostic and identified the problem as a faulty EGR. He replaced the EGR and reset the adaptations. I took the car out for a test this lunchtime and seems to be running fine.

Just thought I'd create a new thread just in case this issue happens to anyone else and may prove helpful to someone else.

Thanks all.
(photos of the old EGR attached)
Attached Images

Last edited by nilz76; 05-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Attach photos.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I've had my 328d go into restricted power mode once because it was too hot outside, don't think BMW ever took into consideration one of their cars ending up on the Gulf Coast of Texas in the middle of August when they designed this car. Was quite scary trying to merge on the highway and the car just wouldn't build any boost until the intercooler cooled off
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
I've had my 328d go into restricted power mode once because it was too hot outside, don't think BMW ever took into consideration one of their cars ending up on the Gulf Coast of Texas in the middle of August when they designed this car. Was quite scary trying to merge on the highway and the car just wouldn't build any boost until the intercooler cooled off

That's very interesting. We're you driving it fairly hard before this?

I'm in Raleigh and we get equally hot summers. I guess we'll see how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
That's very interesting. We're you driving it fairly hard before this?

I'm in Raleigh and we get equally hot summers. I guess we'll see how it goes!
Not really, but it was the first and only time it's happened in the 3 years I've had the car, but the temp on the dash was reading 106 with a humidity percentage of 98%, so it was probably pushing the limits with me running the a/c at full blast.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

My 325d (a 2013 car) had an EGR failure at about 15k miles.

The BMW Assist tech came out, stripped the old valve out, replaced it, and I was on my way a couple of hours after the fault happened.

The Assist techs carry a stock of EGR valves, so it would appear to be a relatively common fault - which was confirmed to me by the technician.
He also said that, in his opinion, the best way of avoiding problems in the future was by using the best quality diesel you could. Since then, I've used, almost exclusively, BP or Shell premium diesel.
Now on 45k miles, and no further faults.
Appreciate 0