F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > cic to nbt upgrade
Studio RSR

05-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino05 View Post
I'll probably have to buy one from you guys , this one seems like to much work . I will have to save up since I wasted money on this one
No worries, just let me know. It will take a week to source and prep one for you
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #24
Blueyzfr169
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 335d F30 XDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino05 View Post
Wow do I just wasted my money , so your saying I cannot use this unit for navigation on my car ?
I've just got an NBT Evo and it has a blue GPS connector. I've mounted the GPS aerial on the bar behind the dashboard clocks and it works very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #25
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

I have a CIC system and I am happy with it. The NBT while better, is not a lot better to go through the hassle. If I wanted to retrofit the latest, what would I need. Is it even possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 02:56 AM   #26
mdcagil
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 3.20i ED LCI

Guys.
I also want to upgrade to hu_nbt. Looking at eBay. There are many options but their backs are different. Do you know what are the differences?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #27
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

I am in the same boat as Tim, except I have the HK sound system - 2013 335 M-Sport with CIC.

What reasonable options are there for people such as us in terms of upgrading the CIC? It seems like:

1) NBT upgrade is harder and more expensive (Stve can you comment on just how mch?)
2) Android 10.25" units are buggy and support is spotty
3) Apple carplay is useless for people like me with an Android phone

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You're going to need to take the amp trigger wire and tap it to the fuse because the NBT is not going to know how to turn on the amp. Also, you'll need a new USB and Bluetooth Antenna as those are currently connected to the Combox. Also note that your AM/FM antenna wires are different so you will lose AM radio.

Once you disable the combox, you'll also have to terminate the most loop so that DTC messages and Service Internals can show up properly on the instrument cluster. Also, your microphone will need to be disconnected and you'll need to run it to pins 17 and 22 on the quad lock as that too also goes to the combox currently.

We usually don't recommend this retrofit due to the amount of work involved. HU_ENTRY to NBT is much easier as HU_ENTRY is wired exactly like an NBT due to the combox not being present.

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #28
cshawkeye
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I am in a similar boat, same year car with the older iDrive system. I have the older NAV system and iDRive system and I wanted to see what I would have to do to upgrade my unit to one of the newer iDrive systems. It just sucks that I should have wait a few more months for the 2014's to drop but got a killer deal on my car in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:58 AM   #29
Andrei_UK
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d 2013

Quote:
If you get the ATM emulator as well as the Can Filtering harness, you should be ok. I don't think anyone else here has used an ATM emulator as of yet so you will be the first to find out
I have retrofit my BMW F20 2013 car came with standard HU , I retrofit with NBT EVO 2 ID6 aftermarket ATM witch activate SatNav and slot for GPS
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #30
HaugF30
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30

Quote:
You're going to need to take the amp trigger wire and tap it to the fuse because the NBT is not going to know how to turn on the amp. Also, you'll need a new USB and Bluetooth Antenna as those are currently connected to the Combox. Also note that your AM/FM antenna wires are different so you will lose AM radio.

Once you disable the combox, you'll also have to terminate the most loop so that DTC messages and Service Internals can show up properly on the instrument cluster. Also, your microphone will need to be disconnected and you'll need to run it to pins 17 and 22 on the quad lock as that too also goes to the combox currently.

We usually don't recommend this retrofit due to the amount of work involved. HU_ENTRY to NBT is much easier as HU_ENTRY is wired exactly like an NBT due to the combox not being present.

Hi, i have recently installed a NBT HU in my Pre Lci F11, i used the Pre Lci retrofit kit from bimmerretrofit but i got no sound in my system, i know this is a 5 series car, but do you think it will be the same? have you done a installation in a 5 series car?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #31
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaugF30 View Post
Hi, i have recently installed a NBT HU in my Pre Lci F11, i used the Pre Lci retrofit kit from bimmerretrofit but i got no sound in my system, i know this is a 5 series car, but do you think it will be the same? have you done a installation in a 5 series car?
Do you have Hi-Fi or Harman Kardon?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #32
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you have Hi-Fi or Harman Kardon?
Oh i forgot to mention, i have Hifi 676 which is FA coded to the NBT_HU

It doesn't matter if i disconnect everything from the Combox or not, still no sound.

My thought is that i also need Most Loop on the Fibre optic comming from the Combox, what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #33
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It doesn't matter if i disconnect everything from the Combox or not, still no sound.

My thought is that i also need Most Loop on the Fibre optic comming from the Combox, what do you think?
hmmm, Hifi is via most on the F10 if I'm not mistaken. Did you move the black and green optical cable from quad lock over to the Bimmerretrofit harness?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #34
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
hmmm, Hifi is via most on the F10 if I'm not mistaken. Did you move the black and green optical cable from quad lock over to the Bimmerretrofit harness?
Yes i did, i also put a most loop connector to the lines which were previously connected to the Zgw.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #35
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes i did, i also put a most loop connector to the lines which were previously connected to the Zgw.
I would say at this point that the head unit is not coded to the proper amp. Did you VO code the NBT?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #36
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would say at this point that the head unit is not coded to the proper amp. Did you VO code the NBT?
It is Vo Coded with the 676 Code for the 676 Hifi system yes, i took the FA list from the car and Vo coded it into the NBT_HU.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #37
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is Vo Coded with the 676 Code for the 676 Hifi system yes, i took the FA list from the car and Vo coded it into the NBT_HU.
Only thing I can suggest is to bridge pins 13 and 15 on the quad lock together and that should power on your diversity antenna and presumably the external amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:48 AM   #38
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Only thing I can suggest is to bridge pins 13 and 15 on the quad lock together and that should power on your diversity antenna and presumably the external amp.
Hehe, i just found this thread, before i saw your answer

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post23711925

Yes this must be the reason i guess, just find it strange that Bimmerretrofit didn't know about this
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #39
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Yep, connected a wire from Pin 13 to Pin 15 at the Bimmerretrofit ENbt adapter's Quadlock and voila, i got sound from the system again

But i got a coupple of other problems, anyone know what to do?

I have coded the Oelstand in Fdl, but the meter is grey and is showing only a few percent at the bottom.

The other problem is that then i try to set the setting of the tailgate in the idrive, the setting goes down again, kinda like those 80's Equalizer meter's, is there something i have forgotten to Fdl code here?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #40
Franklinc
Rep
Drives: F10 528 LCI

Quote:

Per my know USB and BT are connected to Combox, what did you do to make them work in NBT? what would happen once combox is disconnected?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #41
jayd1000
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
I am in the same boat as Tim, except I have the HK sound system - 2013 335 M-Sport with CIC.

What reasonable options are there for people such as us in terms of upgrading the CIC? It seems like:

1) NBT upgrade is harder and more expensive (Stve can you comment on just how mch?)
2) Android 10.25" units are buggy and support is spotty
3) Apple carplay is useless for people like me with an Android phone

Thanks
I got the same dilemma, i got 2012 f30 with CIC hu with basic setup, no nav, no Bluetooth just aux and usb in centre armrest. I`m debating going down NBT retrofit or do I just get 10" android screen with it all built in. Anybody got pros /cons for both ideas??

cheers,

Jason
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #42
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd1000 View Post
I got the same dilemma, i got 2012 f30 with CIC hu with basic setup, no nav, no Bluetooth just aux and usb in centre armrest. I`m debating going down NBT retrofit or do I just get 10" android screen with it all built in. Anybody got pros /cons for both ideas??

cheers,

Jason
I'll probably have an AVIN 1025 Android unit (1.5 years old) for sale soon. I think I'm going to order a NBT EVO retrofit from bimmertech. If you're interested.

-NVE
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #43
1998fordexp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcagil View Post
Guys.
I also want to upgrade to hu_nbt. Looking at eBay. There are many options but their backs are different. Do you know what are the differences?

I am doing the retrofit Steve was talking about. I got an NBt unit that did not have XM. That was important to me so I am getting rid of my NBT for one that has XM. If you are looking for a nav unit, this one is great. In good shape. From 2016 x5. Can easily be coded to your vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 12:40 PM   #44
TheoneLT83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i and e92 330d

Garage List
Hello, can any one can help me how to make my rear view camera work on nbt evo? I had CIC
Appreciate 0