F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front end wobble noise over small bumps at low speeds
Studio RSR

12-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #23
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

I've owned my 2015 335xi for around 3 months and I've continuously noticed something that sounds like a low rumble at low speeds even on smooth appearing roads but worse on cracked roads. I had a BMW service tech drive it with me aboard and he says i't normal.

Personally, I feel it's the original run-flats. My tires are about due for replacement and I'm buying Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires within a week or two. These are NOT run-flat so we'll see if the change helps the rumble problem. I'm carrying a 12V inflator and Slime now.

I'll report back to this thread with results.
      12-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
I've owned my 2015 335xi for around 3 months and I've continuously noticed something that sounds like a low rumble at low speeds even on smooth appearing roads but worse on cracked roads. I had a BMW service tech drive it with me aboard and he says i't normal.

Personally, I feel it's the original run-flats. My tires are about due for replacement and I'm buying Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires within a week or two. These are NOT run-flat so we'll see if the change helps the rumble problem. I'm carrying a 12V inflator and Slime now.

I'll report back to this thread with results.
I'm running the AS3's. They're going to blow those shitty run flats out of the water. You'll be so happy.
      12-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Update-
Went with the bmw technician for a test ride and demonstrated the sound.
2hrs in the garage and a diagnosis that the control arm bushings had failed. As still under warranty they are planning to replace the control arms unit but will have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts in.
Will let you know if this solves my issue of clunky noise over road imperfections at low speed that resolves at high speed and changing shocks did not clear it up.

Last edited by KRS_SN; 12-07-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #26
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Update-
2hrs in the garage and a diagnosis that the control arm bushings had failed. As still under warranty they are planning to replace the control arms unit but will have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts in.
Will let you know if this solves my issue of clunky noise over road imperfections at low speed that resolves at high speed and changing shocks did not clear it up.
That's great news. Thanks for updating us! Look forward to hearing if it's the issue. I hope it is.
      12-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Hopefully that fixes it, unfortunately for us CPO folks that doesn't look to be covered. I am kind of interested in the steering rack fix with that plate and three bolt holes (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544879) Although these symptoms don't seem to exactly match mine.

CPO Terms
Suspension

Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs);
control arms and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers
(dampers); tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves; trailing arms, thrust struts; wishbones.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #28
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Hopefully that fixes it, unfortunately for us CPO folks that doesn't look to be covered. I am kind of interested in the steering rack fix with that plate and three bolt holes (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544879) Although these symptoms don't seem to exactly match mine.

CPO Terms
Suspension

Ball joints; [COLOR="red"]bushings[/COLOR]; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs);
[COLOR="Red"]control arms[/COLOR] and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers
(dampers); tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves; trailing arms, thrust struts; wishbones.
I've seen this before. I asked my dealer about it and he said he didn't know anything other than it would cost $60 to get from Germany. I found it for cheaper, so I'm going to bring it to my dealer and ask them to install it. Assuming it's not too expensive...
      12-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #29
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Quote:

CPO Terms
Suspension

Ball joints; [COLOR="red"]bushings[/COLOR]; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs);
[COLOR="Red"]control arms[/COLOR] and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers
I've seen this before. I asked my dealer about it and he said he didn't know anything other than it would cost $60 to get from Germany. I found it for cheaper, so I'm going to bring it to my dealer and ask them to install it. Assuming it's not too expensive...
Control arms or the steering rack fix? If it's control arms for me I'll just buy new ones and pop in some camber adjustable bushings, knock two things out at once.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #30
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CPO Terms
Suspension

Control arms or the steering rack fix? If it's control arms for me I'll just buy new ones and pop in some camber adjustable bushings, knock two things out at once.
I bought the steering rack fix. I'll give it a shot.
      12-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #31
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Not sure if this is related but wanted to share in case...

Anyone with related info/opinion please share.

I just ordered a set of Meyle HD sway bar end links, for the front.

In photos... they appear to be much more stout than the OEM links. At 64k miles, I figure the front links are tired anyway. Wont hurt to have fresh links. Also simple to install.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #32
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Not sure if this is related but wanted to share in case...

Anyone with related info/opinion please share.

I just ordered a set of Meyle HD sway bar end links, for the front.

In photos... they appear to be much more stout than the OEM links. At 64k miles, I figure the front links are tired anyway. Wont hurt to have fresh links. Also simple to install.
Do you have the rumble noise like we do? This could be good, especially with each of us trying something different.
      12-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #33
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CPO Terms
Suspension

I bought the steering rack fix. I'll give it a shot.
Latest updates to that thread seem to say just tightening the existing one fixes it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #34
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:

CPO Terms
Suspension

Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs);
control arms and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers
But aren't you still in the OEM 4/50, or are you barely out of the 4 years or over the miles?

BMW Certified Pre-Owned: Covers you for 1 year with unlimited vehicle miles, after the expiration of the 4-year / 50,000 mile
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #35
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

If he has a 2014, it could have been purchased in 2013, like mine.
      12-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #36
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:

CPO Terms
Suspension

But aren't you still in the OEM 4/50, or are you barely out of the 4 years or over the miles?

BMW Certified Pre-Owned: Covers you for 1 year with unlimited vehicle miles, after the expiration of the 4-year / 50,000 mile
Nope, sold Nov 2014. Just ended a few weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #37
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

Besides changing out of the Run-Flat tires next week, I've scheduled a complementary inspection buy BMW to occur just before my warranty expires in several weeks. I'm worried about the control arms (bushings) being worn and causing this rumble. In any event I'm going to leave a note on the steering wheel that morning to bring the situation to the service tech's attention. If nothing else, this will give me piece of mind.
      12-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #38
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
It took 3 visits. 1st visit they replaced the shocks. 2nd visit bulkheas trims etc. Next visit scheduled next week for control arm bushings. (Still don't know if the rumble will settle as it could still be sway bar bushes).
Unless you book it in specifically saying there is a problem they are likely to report all is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #39
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
Besides changing out of the Run-Flat tires next week, I've scheduled a complementary inspection buy BMW to occur just before my warranty expires in several weeks. I'm worried about the control arms (bushings) being worn and causing this rumble. In any event I'm going to leave a note on the steering wheel that morning to bring the situation to the service tech's attention. If nothing else, this will give me piece of mind.
Let us know what happens!
      12-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #40
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Mine has same issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #41
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Well... BMW said nothing is wrong with my car...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #42
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Well... BMW said nothing is wrong with my car...
It's unfortunate, but although it's annoying, it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
      12-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #43
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Update-
update.
dealer changed the control arms it made F ...all difference. so the hydrobearing and control arm and bulkhead trim all changed but knocking sound remains.
took it to an indy who put it up on a ramp and showed me the noise. he is certain it is the steering rack or steering rack arm.
wtf 4 trips to dealer and indi diagnoses it in 5 minutes.
so have to now book it in again for 5th time!
Appreciate 1
Korvo368.00
      12-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #44
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

So I have an F22 and dealt with a similar issue but don't know if they're related. I had my car in service on 3 occasions and finally got it figured out. First visit, couldn't replicate. Second visit, lubed some suspension components and blah blah blah it's fixed. Nope, sound still persists. The third visit they had the car for 8 days and basically stripped everything down trying to find the cause. It ended up being a hood hinge of all things. The sound seemed to come from a suspension component but it was a hood hinge of all things.
Appreciate 1
Korvo368.00