F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016+ BMW 340i/ix B58 Billet Intake - Gains up to 8 whp
GetBMWParts

06-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #89
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey! Any additional acceleration issues? I had a weird stumble also, but it only happened while the car was breaking in. Haven't had it happen in a while. Also, my car was completely stock.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1259218

I just ordered the intake and should be getting it soon. I hope there isn't any weird issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #90
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
Hey! Any additional acceleration issues? I had a weird stumble also, but it only happened while the car was breaking in. Haven't had it happen in a while. Also, my car was completely stock.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1259218

I just ordered the intake and should be getting it soon. I hope there isn't any weird issues.
So far not yet, I haven't driven the car for more than a 100 miles since the re-install. It could possibly be an issue where the car is still adapting. My car only has 900 miles so it's possible we were/are experiencing the same things.

What made me contact BMS support initially was when I was going up my driveway and the car choked but there could have been multiple factors there too. I will provide more feedback when I drive but it should be fine. It's basically only a air filter.

Also, you might notice this too but the turbo sound from my videos were audible the first time I turned on the car and rev'd it after I installed the intake. Any revs after that does not give the same sound. Maybe the turbo sound plays a factor when the car has been off/cold for a while?

One more thing, anybody got tips on how to take off the 4 metal clips from the stock airbox
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #91
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN
FYI to all

Remove the 4 silver metal clips from the OEM airbox bottom by bending them
down, and then folding them back up, and sliding them down.
See above. It's actually pretty difficult, but I eventually got them all off.

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #92
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post

One more thing, anybody got tips on how to take off the 4 metal clips from the stock airbox
Bend them far in the opposite direction (without breaking their housing), then back up to their resting position. After a few tries of this, you should be able to get them out by simultaneously wiggling them and pushing them down out of their housing.

It takes quite a bit of patience and cursing, but it'll work eventually.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #93
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

Here's a sound clip, taken from inside the car, of mid-RPM cruising. All windows were closed, and the mode was Sport +.

https://soundcloud.com/thus-1/2016-b...mid-rpm-sounds

You may have to turn up the volume a bit, as I recorded the audio file with a low input volume.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #94
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I installed my BMS intake today. Not sure if I like it so far, but I need to give it more then a 20 min drive. The sounds this thing makes is very odd. Full throttle is completely silent, and then when you let off the gas, there is this weird droning sound that lasts for like 20-30 seconds. I thought it was the car next to me at first, but didn't realize it was mine.

Will update tonight after I put a few more miles on it.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #95
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I installed my BMS intake today. Not sure if I like it so far, but I need to give it more then a 20 min drive. The sounds this thing makes is very odd. Full throttle is completely silent, and then when you let off the gas, there is this weird droning sound that lasts for like 20-30 seconds. I thought it was the car next to me at first, but didn't realize it was mine.

Same thing as I was going through. I wanted to pull my hair out! According to BMS, it's sounds that is silenced from the stock airbox.

You can feel the sound as well, right? As werid as that sounds -_-
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #96
davis31b
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450

I have been running my intake for about 250 miles, no weird sounds and love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #97
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think I was a little too quick to judge. Took it out for a nice long drive with my buddy last night and really like how it sounds now. It's still quiet at full throttle, but you can hear a faint whistle from the turbo which was not there before. All in all, a good mod which will compliment my future JB4 and DP!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #98
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I think I was a little too quick to judge. Took it out for a nice long drive with my buddy last night and really like how it sounds now. It's still quiet at full throttle, but you can hear a faint whistle from the turbo which was not there before. All in all, a good mod which will compliment my future JB4 and DP!
Down pipes should really open her up!
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #99
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Down pipes should really open her up!
I'm trying to limit mods because it's a lease, but I sorta can't help myself! Plus, I think it would be easy to sell these parts afterwards when I turn it in (who knows, maybe I'll keep it if the residual stays up there!)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #100
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I'm trying to limit mods because it's a lease, but I sorta can't help myself! Plus, I think it would be easy to sell these parts afterwards when I turn it in (who knows, maybe I'll keep it if the residual stays up there!)
I told myself I would wait 3 months lol. I had a lease before and was able to sell all the mods at 50-60% of sale price, especially the Jb4.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #101
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

I also have a leased 340i. I put the bms intake on it about a week after I got it, and I like it. I agree with the fact that there are minimal changes in sound under WOT, but at half throttle it is very noticeable. This is a relatively inexpensive investment that I would recommend, especially if you have plans on modifying the motor more.

I am very interested in a DP and jb4, but I'm concerned about running into trouble at the end of the lease when returning to stock without the dealer recognizing. Any input? I also am highly considering buying out the lease if the residual value ends up being substantially higher than what they quoted it to be. This wouldn't surprise me considering they are making less and less manuals every year, and this one is a 6MT, fully loaded, with both m sport packages and track handling package. Anyone in the used market for these cars in 3 years looking for a stick will also covet the m sport packages along with it, and willing to pay more.
      06-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #102
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
I also have a leased 340i. I put the bms intake on it about a week after I got it, and I like it. I agree with the fact that there are minimal changes in sound under WOT, but at half throttle it is very noticeable. This is a relatively inexpensive investment that I would recommend, especially if you have plans on modifying the motor more.

I am very interested in a DP and jb4, but I'm concerned about running into trouble at the end of the lease when returning to stock without the dealer recognizing. Any input? I also am highly considering buying out the lease if the residual value ends up being substantially higher than what they quoted it to be. This wouldn't surprise me considering they are making less and less manuals every year, and this one is a 6MT, fully loaded, with both m sport packages and track handling package. Anyone in the used market for these cars in 3 years looking for a stick will also covet the m sport packages along with it, and willing to pay more.
This is what is giving me anxiety too BUT you are worrying about end of the lease. If that's the case, don't be worried. Just take off the mods before you return your lease, but the problem is you are bound to take your car in for service unless you do your own maintenance or you have a CEL that is out of your reach.

Your safest bet is to do intake + JB4 only. In this case, those two mods are easy to install/remove, where as a downpipe can be lot more difficult if you need to take it to a shop to have it removed.

Some people have taken cars in with DP and have had no problems, but some have. So many variables so it is hard to pin point.

THE best case scenario is if you know a mod friendly dealership (or person).

Just my thoughts and opinion. DON'T FLAME ME BRO.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #103
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post

This is what is giving me anxiety too BUT you are worrying about end of the lease. If that's the case, don't be worried. Just take off the mods before you return your lease, but the problem is you are bound to take your car in for service unless you do your own maintenance or you have a CEL that is out of your reach.

Your safest bet is to do intake + JB4 only. In this case, those two mods are easy to install/remove, where as a downpipe can be lot more difficult if you need to take it to a shop to have it removed.

Some people have taken cars in with DP and have had no problems, but some have. So many variables so it is hard to pin point.

THE best case scenario is if you know a mod friendly dealership (or person).

Just my thoughts and opinion. DON'T FLAME ME BRO.
How confident are you though that a dealership will not detect any type of trace whatsoever after having the jb4 installed and returning it to OEM? The intake will be a simple 10 min max fix, with no trace. And I know the jb4 removal is quick and simple, but is it 100% gone? In terms of detection?

Also, I have the RWD model, so from the research that I've done thus far, it is a relatively simple install for the downpipe. I read, on average, 1.5-2 hours.

Anyway, my point is I would be doing all the work myself, with the exception of maintenance. I also have worry free maintenance for the entire lease term. In my opinion, it is worth 3 or 4 hours every 10k miles to return the car to stock (intake, DP, jb4) so the dealer can't tell while changing the oil, brakes, etc. But I'm still skeptical on the simplicity of the DP install, as well as the trace left behind after removing a jb4.
      08-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #104
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive M Sport

Is the oil necessary for this intake? Does anyone use this?

http://www.burgertuning.com/performa...g_oil_kit.html

Is this something we need to do before installing or is it just a cleaning product that you would do after 10k miles?
      08-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #105
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeyh View Post
Is the oil necessary for this intake? Does anyone use this?

http://www.burgertuning.com/performa...g_oil_kit.html

Is this something we need to do before installing or is it just a cleaning product that you would do after 10k miles?
You dont need it before installing, it for use later when intake needs cleaning

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #106
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You dont need it before installing, it for use later when intake needs cleaning
Thanks Mike!
      08-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #107
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeyh View Post
Thanks Mike!
You are welcome

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #108
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Installed!! My goodness this thing sounds awesome!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #109
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkan_340i View Post
Installed!! My goodness this thing sounds awesome!!

Appreciate 1
ErkanTR16598.00
      12-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #110
Nubarsol
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post
Installed the intake, so far the sound *swoosh* is great. When I let off throttle I feel a weird vibration/sound. Hard to explain so I will drive it again tomorrow and pay better attention. I'll give it a few days to see if I will leave it on or sell it. Anyone experiencing some werid vibration/sound when letting of throttle? I left the 4 silver clips and the sponge that sits in the stock bottom filter holder in tact.
Hey there. I installed my BMS intake yesterday, and I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm also getting a weird gurgling vibration sound when I let off the throttle. It vibrates hard enough that I can actually feel. I asked Jon at Burger today about the sound, but he didn't know anything about it. He asked me to try getting a sound clip or a video of it, but because it mostly vibration and very bassy, I'm having a hard time recording exactly what's happening.

Can you please let me know if you had any luck finding more information about this?
Appreciate 0