F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Is it called paint correction if its on vinyl or would it be called vinyl correction?
Studio RSR

12-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
eric.creates
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Thumbs up Is it called paint correction if its on vinyl or would it be called vinyl correction?

Hey guys!

Fairly new to detailing, I wrapped my car in Vvivid Charcoal Satin and Vvivid Carbon Fiber for the roof in March of this year. The roof wrap looked amazing, almost as good as my friends M4 (real) carbon fiber roof. But as time went by, the sun really ate it up. Wrapping your car is not cheap and I did not want to pay someone again to re-wrap the roof just to have it get like this again. I did some research online but could not find anything specific to my situation so I decided to do some trial and error. I picked up Jay Leno's Garage Gold Series line, it comes in 3 steps. Step 1 is the compound (most aggressive), step 2 is the polish (a little aggressive), step 3 is the finishing polish (least aggressive).

the before, it was super rough to the touch. I tried using a waterless spray to clean off any dirt on top but it stayed looking the same

I used a microfiber towel and some elbow grease. I don't own a machine..

Looks like step 3 did a decent job, I could still see some imperfections. If you look at the left side of the image you can still see a little layer of gunk.

Step 2 did a good job, I did not see any layers left of gunk compared to step 3. I probably can use step 2 all around.

Step 1 cut through all the gunk pretty quickly, did not have to use as much elbow grease compared to step 2 & 3. Doesn't look like new new but looks soooo much better.

I was not expecting much, after all, vinyl is just a really big sticker and it does not have the same properties of paint. I also do not own a machine so I had to do everything by hand with a microfiber towel. I am probably triggering a lot of you with my lack of knowledge but any feedback is appreciated. I also recorded a video of the testing, check it out and let me know what you think.

Last edited by eric.creates; 12-07-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Good work! That's a nice improvement.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You can polish just about anything. You can even polish a turd, though why anyone would want to have a polished turd I can't say.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
JDTX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You can polish just about anything. You can even polish a turd, though why anyone would want to have a polished turd I can't say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
      12-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Looks 1000 times better than your before picture! A machine with the proper pads will go a long way, wait for an ebay discount sale and grab yourself one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Vinyl is very soft and has a low melting point, so machining it would require a low speed buffer and a very experienced operator.
Appreciate 0