F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 4-series F32 No Audio / Lost Sound Troubleshooting
proTUNING Freaks

12-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
Mewp
Rep
Drives: F32

Exclamation 4-series F32 No Audio / Lost Sound Troubleshooting

I retrofitted an OEM backup camera recently, and when I reconnected the battery and started the car all sound was gone. No door chimes, radio, CD player, Bluetooth, navigation, nothing. Everything else works just fine, all electronics, gauges, sensors, etc, including the camera. I've searched around the forum and the internet and haven't turned up much, beyond several frustrating "I had this problem and then it fixed itself" discussions.

I saw a post somewhere that said that the head unit may not be sending the signal to the amp to turn on which would indicate a possible CAN bus problem, and I had to tap into the CAN bus to connect the camera so that could be a possibility. However, I was lead to believe that if one thing on the CAN bus failed or caused problems everything connected would fail, and as I said the camera works fine and so does everything else.

I checked the fuses in the front and rear fuse box, or at least what I thought were the correct fuses. I checked everything on the fuse list next to the little speaker icon. If those aren't the correct fuses, what icon should I be looking under?

I've also tried just disconnecting the battery and leaving it for several minutes.

I also tried some YouTube video I found where someone said to turn on the headlights, pull an audio fuse (I pulled 2 in the rear fuse box that were marked with the speaker icon) and then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, but that didn't work either.

I haven't checked the amp itself, since I gather it requires me to completely remove one half of the trunk liner and I'm not able to do that right now.

One other thing, when coding with Esys if I load all of the modules by pressing the "Read SVT" button, an "ASD" module shows up in the list and appears OK and has a little green checkmark next to its CAFD file. However, if I load all of the modules by pressing the "Read ECU" button, ASD does NOT show up. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Any ideas or suggestions of things to try? I'd hate to think I somehow blew up the amp when I wasn't touching it. Eventually I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it (which I'm sure won't be covered under warranty because I was jacking around with wiring and electronics), but that's going to have to wait 'til the new year and I figured I'd poll for ideas in the meantime. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Mewp
Rep

Took the car in for regular service and also had them troubleshoot the sound problem. I told them that it happened after I install the camera, and the maintenance guy was fixated on that as being the culprit. This was also in part because, at the time, I had a "rear camera malfunction" error when I shifted into reverse. After I got the car back I was able to finally fix that problem by using the camera teach process in Rheingold. The maintenance guy couldn't fix the sound issue and suggested I replace the camera module with a newer one, because mine is older (2009, I believe) and was originally installed on a different car. I'm not convinced that's going to solve anything. I updated the CAFD file when I installed it in mine, and I used Esys to browse the configuration and it's properly configured for my model of car. The maintenance guy seemed to think that for some reason the audio was being relayed through the camera module, but I don't think so because I have the HiFi amp that isn't connected to the CAN Bus anymore, and that seems a little ridiculous.

Also, he said "it" was looking ASD, but that my car didn't have that installed. I don't know what he was referring to when he said "it," but he was wrong. As I mentioned in my first post, an ASD module showed up in Esys. I didn't bring it up to him at the time, because I thought maybe it was a fluke since ASD only showed up when I used "Read SVT" and not "Read ECU." Also, when I got the car back I reconnected Esys and, sure enough, "ASD" no longer shows up anymore when I read out the ECUs. So I thought maybe it was a fluke. However, I then removed my trunk interior to get to the amplifier, and, sure enough, there's an ASD module installed.

I tried to disconnect the RADIO ON signal line between the head unit and the ASD module and plug it directly into the amp so the head unit would turn on the amp directly, but that didn't do anything.

My next step is to try to wire the ASD module or amp into the fuse box directly.

If that doesn't work, should I just assume that somehow my ASD module and amp both died? Is there a way I can test them with a voltmeter or something, and how would I do that?

Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
Bmwespendn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320DT E91 Msport 2011

Did u find out ? I have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Mewp
Rep

Finally fixed the problem. Checked all of the existing fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes, paid $160 to have it diagnosed only to be told "it's the camera, replace the camera module," spent hours checking wiring and taking my trunk apart trying to get at the amp and ASD module, and it turns out a damn fuse was missing. Apparently a fuse fell out of the fuse box. It was a fuse in the same connector as the camera module so it must have happened when I was installing the camera, but I didn't notice a fuse was there in the first place so I didn't notice when it was gone. $160 for a fuse. God.

For future reference:
Fuse 159 (5 amp) powers ASD
Fuse 122 (30 amp) powers the amplifier

If you hate ASD, you can try to jump around it with these pin assignments, the ASD is really just a middle-man that passes on the signals from the head unit. No guarantee it'll work, I haven't tried it, do it at your own risk, etc etc. I did try to move the RADIO_ON signal, but not the other lines so that's probably why that didn't work like I mentioned in my previous post. I'm just giving you the inputs from the head unit to ASD and where they would plug into if you went direct to the hifi amp. This is for an F30/F32, don't know if it'll work on other models that use ASD/hifi amp.

ASD connector -----move to and replace---> Hifi Amp connector
pin 38 (black / red)--------------------------> pin 38 (white / green)
pin 30 (black / brown)-----------------------> pin 30 (white / black)
pin 9 (blue / red)-----------------------------> pin 9 (purple / red)
pin 17 (blue / brown)------------------------> pin 17 (purple / brown)
pin 37 (white / red)--------------------------> pin 37 (brown / red)
pin 29 (white / brown)-----------------------> pin 29 (brown / blue)
pin 8 (grey / red)-----------------------------> pin 8 (green / red)
pin 16 (grey / brown)------------------------> pin 16 (green / brown)
pin 10 (black)---------------------------------> pin 10 (black / purple)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
JhalliM
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Garage List
Bmw 330d f30 with hk

hi I have a bmw 330d f30 with hk sound system. However there is no sound coming out of any speakers. I have switched from the radio, to usb mp3 files and even Bluetooth media on my phone but nothing. Any help on this? the only thing I've done is changed the battery as this other was knackered. I even had my brother try code and reset the cic idrive unit where it came to audio etc but still again nothing. any advice what this could be? does changing the battery have anything to do with it!?

THANKS
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
aslezak
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i

I have the exact same issue after changing the battery on my 2014 320i.
Did you do anything else or just replace the battery? I had to remove the back seat to reach the trunk so I was afraid I pinched a wire to the combox or amp.
But I ran the ISTA+ diags and no faults. Everything tests clean. Extremely frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhalliM View Post
hi I have a bmw 330d f30 with hk sound system. However there is no sound coming out of any speakers. I have switched from the radio, to usb mp3 files and even Bluetooth media on my phone but nothing. Any help on this? the only thing I've done is changed the battery as this other was knackered. I even had my brother try code and reset the cic idrive unit where it came to audio etc but still again nothing. any advice what this could be? does changing the battery have anything to do with it!?

THANKS
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 04:13 PM   #7
penfold2105
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewp View Post
Finally fixed the problem. Checked all of the existing fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes, paid $160 to have it diagnosed only to be told "it's the camera, replace the camera module," spent hours checking wiring and taking my trunk apart trying to get at the amp and ASD module, and it turns out a damn fuse was missing. Apparently a fuse fell out of the fuse box. It was a fuse in the same connector as the camera module so it must have happened when I was installing the camera, but I didn't notice a fuse was there in the first place so I didn't notice when it was gone. $160 for a fuse. God.

For future reference:
Fuse 159 (5 amp) powers ASD
Fuse 122 (30 amp) powers the amplifier

If you hate ASD, you can try to jump around it with these pin assignments, the ASD is really just a middle-man that passes on the signals from the head unit. No guarantee it'll work, I haven't tried it, do it at your own risk, etc etc. I did try to move the RADIO_ON signal, but not the other lines so that's probably why that didn't work like I mentioned in my previous post. I'm just giving you the inputs from the head unit to ASD and where they would plug into if you went direct to the hifi amp. This is for an F30/F32, don't know if it'll work on other models that use ASD/hifi amp.

ASD connector -----move to and replace---> Hifi Amp connector
pin 38 (black / red)--------------------------> pin 38 (white / green)
pin 30 (black / brown)-----------------------> pin 30 (white / black)
pin 9 (blue / red)-----------------------------> pin 9 (purple / red)
pin 17 (blue / brown)------------------------> pin 17 (purple / brown)
pin 37 (white / red)--------------------------> pin 37 (brown / red)
pin 29 (white / brown)-----------------------> pin 29 (brown / blue)
pin 8 (grey / red)-----------------------------> pin 8 (green / red)
pin 16 (grey / brown)------------------------> pin 16 (green / brown)
pin 10 (black)---------------------------------> pin 10 (black / purple)

Thanks I swapped the fuse with one on the end not sure what's not working now. But the sound is fine 🙂
Appreciate 0