F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VS Breather kit or Vargas Breather kit?
proTUNING Freaks

09-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

VS Breather kit or Vargas Breather kit?

I was looking on which kit would be better to solve the PCV system from failing and if one needs an oil catch can or not. I was leaning towards the VS breather kit but I do not know if you need an oil catch can or not
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Putting a catch can kit on is never a bad idea. It's clean, out of the way and uses our super popular modular can.

That's in bed with, but different than venting excess pressure, which is what the one way crankcase breather does.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Putting a catch can kit on is never a bad idea. It's clean, out of the way and uses our super popular modular can.

That's in bed with, but different than venting excess pressure, which is what the one way crankcase breather does.

Few questions:
  1. Do you guys have any dyno runs with the breather?
  2. I assume some particles still make it past the filter, wouldn't that get inside the engine bay?
  3. How often does this filter need to be replaced or washed?
  4. Wouldn't one just get this or a catch can, instead of both? Or is the benefit additive because this breather reduces the pressure, while the catch can grabs all the oil?

Last edited by vektorprime; 09-19-2021 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #4
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Does the Vargas one way breather kit just vent out oil fumes? I was told it vents out oil fumes so you'd be smelling oil and having the potential to have oil spill out if it isn't installed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorprime View Post
Few questions:
  1. Do you guys have any dyno runs with the breather?
  2. I assume some particles still make it past the filter, wouldn't that get inside the engine bay?
  3. How often does this filter need to be replaced or washed?
  4. Wouldn't one just get this or a catch can, instead of both? Or is the benefit additive because this breather reduces the pressure, while the catch can grabs all the oil?
A catch can is an air/oil separator. This is different than a breather. A catch can pulls oil out of the PCV vapor. A breather just allows more venting of crankcase pressure.

Most of the dyno's we've done on any platform we work on have been done with breathers. Don't expect any power change by itself.

You can wash the filter as often as you like, but it's not something you need to do regularly. Luckily removal and reinstallation take a couple of seconds if this is something you are interested in doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:28 AM   #6
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I have the breather on my 540i and have had it for about 6 months now. I've never had issues with combustion smell in the cabin, around the car, or oil residue on the underside of my hood or on the engine cover. I've only cleaned it 1 time so far and it was barely dirty.

Off topic:
I wish I could get the OCC, but VTT doesn't make a bracket for the G30 540i. I know there's quite the market for it for the 540 as well. Chris, can you guys get this done? All we need is a bracket, everything else will fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:59 AM   #7
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Ross Racing Performance solution can come with a catch can.

https://www.rossrperformance.com/pro...lete-version-1
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What is up with these companies getting rid of proper PCV operation, removing crankcase vacuum, coupling the high and low side systems which should always be separated into one, and calling it an upgrade? That kit is nothing but a VTA modification. Modern turbocharged vehicles NEED crankcase vacuum under varying circumstances to function correctly. If you want to add a CC to the low side it's a great idea, same with the high side. Taking the low side, and coupling with the high side while getting rid of crankcase vacuum at idle, cruise, and decel is not an upgrade...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #9
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
What is up with these companies getting rid of proper PCV operation, removing crankcase vacuum, coupling the high and low side systems which should always be separated into one, and calling it an upgrade? That kit is nothing but a VTA modification. Modern turbocharged vehicles NEED crankcase vacuum under varying circumstances to function correctly. If you want to add a CC to the low side it's a great idea, same with the high side. Taking the low side, and coupling with the high side while getting rid of crankcase vacuum at idle, cruise, and decel is not an upgrade...
Works well for everyone that's using it.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0