F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Handling Improvement - Springs/Coilovers/Camber Plates/Control Arms/Sway Bars
ARMA SPEED

09-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60martin View Post
Thank you for the suspension insight.

Considering the coilovers, is there a reason as to why you would recommend KW variants over the Bilstein. Being in the budget range for PSS10s, a direct comparison from a cost perspective (without EDC, ~$2,000) would be the KW v2. Comparing the two, Bilstein has compression tuning in addition, mono tube compared to twin, and can be purchased through fcpeuro (for potential lifetime replace, need to do some more research). Would you say that the KW v2s are better than the PSS10s for my application? If so, why? I'm not entirely opposed to v2s as they are cheaper and I understand that the rebound and compression tuning can be slightly overkill for street application dialing.

Regarding the sway bars, will adjustable end links need to be purchased as well or will the OEMs pair well with the H&R Kit?
(https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...it/72878-3~hr/)

And for the sway bars, I have been looking into either Wiechers-Sport or KC Design Strut Braces. Do you have any experience with either of these brands by chance?

Once again thank you for all the information, it was very helpful.
If you are considering KW V2, I suggest to consider KW V3 which offer independent adjustment of compression and rebound setting. For precise suspension tuning, this feature is invaluable.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      09-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
midxotic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340ix  [9.50]
I'm aware that from a function standpoint the KW v3 and Bilstein PSS10 are most similar (with both compression and rebound tuning). But considering the ~$400 price increase from the PSS10s, are the v3's worth it over just going with the Bilstein route and saving the difference for other suspension upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #25
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I'm aware that from a function standpoint the KW v3 and Bilstein PSS10 are most similar (with both compression and rebound tuning). But considering the ~$400 price increase from the PSS10s, are the v3's worth it over just going with the Bilstein route and saving the difference for other suspension upgrades?
all things equal, KW rides better for street than Bilstein and I prefer KW design and construction slightly better.

with Bilstein B16, compression and rebound are adjusted simultaneously with a single knob located underneath the damper, so it's easy to do but not as precise. here is a nice thread on B16...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1147467

with KWV3 you have a rebound knob up top and compression on the bottom that can be adjusted independently and is a more precise and "truer" way of setting the balance between compression and rebound. however access to the rear top knob would be difficult after installed.

if you're confident that you'll find a rebound setting without too much fuss and you're not the type to mess around with things continually, i'd go KW for it's ability to set the compression and rebound balance precisely. however if you're the type to constantly mess around, adjusting the Bilstein B16 single knob is so much easier, but understand that the adjustment is basically a soft to firm ride thing and the compression/rebound balance is not really tuned.
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
      09-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
The Bilstein B16's are really stiff. It's a poor setup. Their biggest problem is overly stiff front springs that effect everything else. "Monotube" is not a feature that I would apply much weight to when comparing products at this high level.

KW has a reputation for being high quality and the best riding by far. Their setup between dampers and springs is excellent.

I would choose KW V3 over V2 to obtain the additional compression adjustment. But I'd also choose KW V2 over Bilstein B16. I've ridden in cars with both and I'd choose the KW ride every time over the B16. Big improvement.

FCP's warranty isn't a factor to me with parts that last this long and have great support/warranties from their manufacturers. These types of products I buy from Kies. Their customer service and knowledge is excellent.

If you are balancing budget, I'd suggest holding off on sways initially. (The labor is too expensive to make a poor sway bar size choice.) Install the KW V2/V3 along with the Kies/VAC Upper Control Arms (for XDrive) that I mentioned earlier. Those two are the most noticeable changes. The steering improvement is incredible. Then drive it to tune the dampers the way you like.

Springs are the biggest determining factor in the optimal size front and rear sway bars. So see how the KW springs feel and how much body roll you are seeing.

SWAY BARS:
My XDrive stock sways were Front 21mm and Rear 12mm. The H&R's are probably the heaviest available at F28mm/R20mm. But there are also rears available at 15mm, 16mm and 17mm for additional fine tuning. Remember to only use solid sway bars since hollow can snap. And if they have any adjustment holes, typically the outside holes are for street use. Stock end links are fine.

STRUT BRACE:
I'm very familiar with Wiechers and KC strut braces. I've had both. Get the Wiechers aluminum bar. It has an adjustable, removable crossbar which is important for engine servicing. One piece bars sometimes don't fit well and force the removal of the strut tower bolts for service. They are stretch bolts that aren't designed to be removed/reinstalled often. They are expensive to replace.

Here's a video showing installation of KWv3 and Kies/VAC control arms on a 340i XDrive.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 3
midxotic198.50
cfm56d7b5876.00
      09-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #27
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The advice from johnung could not be worded any better.

"Install the KW V2/V3 along with the Kies/VAC Upper Control Arms (for XDrive) that I mentioned earlier. Those two are the most noticeable changes. The steering improvement is incredible. Then drive it to tune the dampers the way you like."

Directly from KW V3 description:

"With compression and rebound stage damping, that can be set separately and independently of each other, the damper setup can be customized to your personal driving preferences or vehicle changes such as weight, tire characteristics, or altered vehicle rigidity. True performance optimization is only possible with this unique, patented system. For example, this allows the compression damping force to be increased and get more grip from the tires, to improve cornering behavior and reduce squat without simultaneously altering the rebound stage damping which is optimally matched to the spring rate – a scenario which results in reduced grip and the associated loss of performance."

This explains why it's so valuable to have independently adjustable compression and rebound cycles.
Appreciate 3
johnung4525.00
midxotic198.50
      09-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #28
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Hey OP. When I got my 340i thp, my first focus was to change the handling dynamics. Havent even touched any tunes or hp boosting bolt ons yet.

So far, what I've done is -

Dinan shockware + springs + bumpstops

This alone has decreased a ton of bodyroll, and made the car far less bouncy.

Today, I'm having VAC upper and lower control arms installed and I think it will greatly improve the road feeling and turn in.

If you have the adaptive, I'd definitely check out the dinan option
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #29
midxotic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340ix  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
Hey OP. When I got my 340i thp, my first focus was to change the handling dynamics. Havent even touched any tunes or hp boosting bolt ons yet.

Today, I'm having VAC upper and lower control arms installed and I think it will greatly improve the road feeling and turn in.

Thanks for the insight. Standard suspension here so I was planning on diving right into coilovers. Let me know how the VAC Control Arms feel, definitely on my immediate list.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post

Thanks for the insight. Standard suspension here so I was planning on diving right into coilovers. Let me know how the VAC Control Arms feel, definitely on my immediate list.
Yeah coil-overs may be the move. I've also heard the m performance suspension is solid as well. I'll post back once I get the car back
Appreciate 1
midxotic198.50