F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HU_ENTRY to HU_ENTRY NAV for bigger screen?
proTUNING Freaks

03-31-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

Long have I wanted to swap out my HU Entry to NBT for the bigger / high res screen but as of recently a new thought popped into my head. Since I cant upgrade to a bigger screen with my current HU Entry for the "stretch" reason, what if I retrofit the cheaper Entry Nav box solely for the ability to retrofit the larger screen (or bimmertech vivid screen)? This would be a lot cheaper (obviously have less features) than the NBT.

Thoughts? Potential issues? Where to source the Entry Nav box and what additional NAV components would I need? Possible to do this without needing NAV?

Pics for attention.

Current:

Goal:

Stretch Issue if 8.8" is plugged into HU Entry:

Last edited by cdwalls; 04-01-2019 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwalls View Post
Long have I wanted to swap out my HU Entry to NBT for the bigger / high res screen but as of recently a new thought popped into my head. Since I cant upgrade to a bigger screen with my current HU Entry for the "stretch" reason, what if I retrofit the cheaper Entry Nav box solely for the ability to retrofit the larger screen (or bimmertech vivid screen)? This would be a lot cheaper (obviously have less features) than the NBT.

Thoughts? Potential issues? Where to source the Entry Nav box and what additional NAV components would I need? Possible to do this without needing NAV?

Pics for attention.

Current:

Goal:

Stretch Issue if 8.8" is plugged into HU Entry:
If u decide to go nbt route I have a complete set up for sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i 2015

Have you thought about getting those Android screens which are a lot cheaper and more feature-packed? I know there are some issues (I read all 100+) pages before I got mine, but tbh, I only want to use Google Maps in it and Spotify (also YouTube when I'm showing off with my friends) and so far, everything works perfectly. I got the AvinUsa 10.25" and among all things about my entry level car, it is what everyone notices first so I'm pretty happy about it. 😊 I used to have the 6.5" and I also don't have a nav so once I got it replaced, everything just looks great.
Attached Images

Last edited by newbimmer2019; 04-02-2019 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmer2019 View Post
Have you thought about getting those Android screens which are a lot cheaper and more feature-packed? I know there are some issues (I read all 100+) pages before I got mine, but tbh, I only want to use Google Maps in it and Spotify (also YouTube when I'm showing off with my friends) and so far, everything works perfectly. I got the AvinUsa 10.25" and among all things about my entry level car, it is what everyone notices first so I'm pretty happy about it. 😊 I used to have the 6.5" and I also don't have a nav so once I got it replaced, everything just looks great.
I don't have an android device , only Apple
      04-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I also use an iPhone X. The screen is Android though, but if I want, I can mirror the iPhone's screen to it through phone link (a feature of the screen), but I don't see the point in doing so cause it already has a built-in maps (or Waze if ypu wanna download it). Anyway, just suggesting, cause it worked for me. Retrofitting an oem screen though is better if you wanna go all original of course, eitherway, tell us what you got once you've installed it. I'm sure your ride is gonna look 10x even better.
Appreciate 1
cdwalls701.00
      04-01-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also use an iPhone X. The screen is Android though, but if I want, I can mirror the iPhone's screen to it through phone link (a feature of the screen), but I don't see the point in doing so cause it already has a built-in maps (or Waze if ypu wanna download it). Anyway, just suggesting, cause it worked for me. Retrofitting an oem screen though is better if you wanna go all original of course, eitherway, tell us what you got once you've installed it. I'm sure your ride is gonna look 10x even better.
Interesting. Did you have to cut your dash to fit? Looks good
      04-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Did you have to cut your dash to fit? Looks good
Nope, everything fits perfectly. It's also plug and play, just a matter of removing the original and plugging in the new screen. However, the cables were a pain to remove so I gave up trying to do it myself and had someone do it for me (as I'm not really that familiar with electronics). It was pretty straight forward though, I was just afraid of breaking something if I pull too much.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

When was your car made? Your menu looks more like HU_ENTRYNAV than the older HU_ENTRY. Are you sure you have HU_ENTRY?

EDIT: See the pictures in the following post to see the difference:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...04&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
When was your car made? Your menu looks more like HU_ENTRYNAV than the older HU_ENTRY. Are you sure you have HU_ENTRY?

EDIT: See the pictures in the following post to see the difference:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...04&postcount=2
I have HU_ENTRY i just grabbed a random image from the internet
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
CDawg
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White III

bump

Im also looking to do this same upgrade, I Have the hu_entry currently with the combox in the trunk. Has anyone done something similarly? My goal is to have the larger display mainly, not so much the full NBT 5/6 features.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #12
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdavey View Post
bump

Im also looking to do this same upgrade, I Have the hu_entry currently with the combox in the trunk. Has anyone done something similarly? My goal is to have the larger display mainly, not so much the full NBT 5/6 features.
Hu entry can't be coded for the bigger screen if it came with 6.5

You would have to upgrade to nbt or newer
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

I went for the genuine bmw upgrade, simple fitment and then bought this adapter off amazon https://amzn.to/2KbvHnv then bought bimmercode and done it through that to change the resolution sizes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
CDawg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
Hu entry can't be coded for the bigger screen if it came with 6.5

You would have to upgrade to nbt or newer
Is it possible to go from my current HU_ENTRY CIC 6.5' with combox to the HU_ENTRYNAV NBT 6.5'

from this

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 5791
Size:  102.9 KB

to this

Name:  X2TiyRm.png
Views: 5341
Size:  360.8 KB

Then eventually get an 8,8' screen? Purely for the upgraded look, no Nav/apps required..

Last edited by CDawg; 04-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: edited info
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it possible to go from my current HU_ENTRY CIC 6.5' with combox to the HU_ENTRYNAV NBT 6.5'

from this

Attachment 2287224

to this

Attachment 2287225

Then eventually get an 8,8' screen? Purely for the upgraded look, no Nav/apps required..
Yes you would need nbt with or without nav
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
CDawg
Private
Rep

Would the process be the same, ie. remove and install, terminate MOST at combox, re wire USB and re were microphone and code?

Would BimmerCode work for an install like this?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #17
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would the process be the same, ie. remove and install, terminate MOST at combox, re wire USB and re were microphone and code?

Would BimmerCode work for an install like this?
there are dozens of threads archived on going from cic to nbt. Just find one and there are step by step guides and exactly what you need to order
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
2014 328xi (totaled)  [0.00]
If you're going to do all the work to change from HU_Entry to HU_EntryNAV (change headunit, change screen, code car), I would HIGHLY recommend just going full out and upgrading to NBT EVO. I just retrofitted my car that came with HU_Entry and its a WORLD of difference.

This being said I don't think you can even upgrade HU_Entry to HU_EntryNAV, or at least not easily. The reason the Entry > NBT evo swap works relatively smoothly is because the combox isnt needed anymore and the gps and wifi antennas live under the dash because the new ones are so small. HU_EntryNAV needed the combox and the gps and radio hardware lived in the sharkfin on your roof. So this might be even more difficult if you need to change those components as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #19
Adem8654
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 320i

Hey guys I need help and i cant make a thread yet idk how im new but I have one question, I have a 320i 2014, and it seems that I have an ENTRY (not ENTRYNAV) NBT system, would i be able to still get an 10.25 android screen for NBT with no issues? or would I have to do something to the headunit?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 03:51 AM   #20
kevvxm
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hi! Is it possible to upgrade for ENTRYNAV to NBT EVO? Do I need to get the evo with gps wire if I already have connected drive?

Also, do I lose the ConnectedDrive after this unit swap?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:47 PM   #21
Hannah1193
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sedan

Quote:
What year was your car? I also have an ENTRY and have been told that no screen will fit my 2013 for some reason so I’ve been tryna find someone who’s done it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:10 AM   #22
F30tron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 320D

Did you get this resolved? I'm looking to replace my 2012 6.5" ENTRY HU System with an android unit. The seller wants photos of tge connection before commiting to an answer on whether it works or not. Just need to know whether it's a 4 pin or 6 pin connector. I'd pull it apart but it's so tight I don't want to risk breaking it.

Also do the android units keep functionality for oil level and tpms monitoring.
Sorry if that's a simple question.
Appreciate 0