F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Portable Jump Starters - Any recommendations?
GetBMWParts

03-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Portable Jump Starters - Any recommendations?

With the car not being used currently and sat on the drive I've been looking at getting once of those portable power pack jump starters. If mine's left for a week without being driven the battery pretty much always goes flat.

I've got a CTEK charger that's great but would like one of these too as an option to get started and moving in a hurry.

Has anyone got one they might be able to recommend? Has to be able to start a 3.0 petrol. Was looking at something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTECK-1800...s%2C152&sr=8-9

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
BR27
Private
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
With the car not being used currently and sat on the drive I've been looking at getting once of those portable power pack jump starters. If mine's left for a week without being driven the battery pretty much always goes flat.

I've got a CTEK charger that's great but would like one of these too as an option to get started and moving in a hurry.

Has anyone got one they might be able to recommend? Has to be able to start a 3.0 petrol. Was looking at something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTECK-1800...152&sr=8-9

Thanks!
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to replace the battery? It sounds as if it's on its way out, only mine doesn't get started for over 3 weeks sometimes and always starts fine.

It seems a waste of money if you end up replacing the battery in the not too distant future. Of course if you have other uses for the jump pack, then that's a different story and I shall shut up!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTECK-1800...s%2C152&sr=8-9

Thanks!
I have two. Both were sent for free to provide amazon reviews( do not ever trust amazon reviews!). Didn’t have a chance to use it in practice but both claim to be able to start 3l engines.

The two I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flylinktech-20000mAh-Portable-Waterproof-Flashlights/dp/B07N4P8529/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=imazing+portable+car+jump+ starter&qid=1585590922&sprefix=imazing&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0855G3WZN?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR27 View Post
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to replace the battery? It sounds as if it's on its way out, only mine doesn't get started for over 3 weeks sometimes and always starts fine.

It seems a waste of money if you end up replacing the battery in the not too distant future. Of course if you have other uses for the jump pack, then that's a different story and I shall shut up!

Cheers.
The battery's fairly new. I'm now in my 14th year with the car and it's never held a charge if not driven for a week to ten days. Just one of its quirks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
The battery's fairly new. I'm now in my 14th year with the car and it's never held a charge if not driven for a week to ten days. Just one of its quirks!
I know very little about cars and slightly less about electrics but that sounds like a fault to me.

I won't charge you for that
Appreciate 2
Scoobyd1954.50
Broncho2311.00
      03-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I've got one of these and it works well :

DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter, Emergency Battery Booster Pack with Dual USB Charging Outputs, LED Flashlight and Compass (Black/Yellow)
More information: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BF08H..._jxKGEb4TMFMZE

Unfortunately it's currently unavailable on Amazon. If you look for units with a similar/better mah rating and peak amperage, chances are it'll be fine. If it can jump a 330d it should be fine with a lower compression petrol unit.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1954.50
      03-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
BR27
Private
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers.
Ah sorry, I thought you were taking about an f-series, not an older vehicle.

There's so much excellent buying advise from the guys on here, I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction, although just be prepared to spend twice as much as you hoped to. Good luck with your purchase
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1954.50
      03-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction, although just be prepared to spend twice as much as you hoped to. Good luck with your purchase
Very true... the one I linked to is £56.99. I'll be lucky to get change from £200 now after posting on here!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Very true... the one I linked to is £56.99. I'll be lucky to get change from £200 now after posting on here!
Well I was going to suggest putting the E46 in the garage as a weekend car and get a nice reliable run about for the week where the battery doesnt go flat, say a nearly new 440i. About £24k should get you a really nice one...

(not forgetting the £200 for the jump pack for the E46...)
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1954.50
      03-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Well I was going to suggest putting the E46 in the garage as a weekend car and get a nice reliable run about for the week where the battery doesnt go flat, say a nearly new 440i. About £24k should get you a really nice one...

(not forgetting the £200 for the jump pack for the E46...)
I think £56.99 to £24,000 (+£200) may be a new record even for this place!
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2020, 02:05 AM   #11
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I tried my 600A Amazon vine review one last night on the 1.2 Qashqai in Aldi's carpark after it failed to start. Was useless, it just discharged instantly and did nothing. Had to use jump cables in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:55 AM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

One thing to bear in mind with these jump packs - they may be able to deliver a high peak amperage but they obviously have a limited amount of total energy.

They can do their job if the engine turns over and starts 'first' time, I.e. if the engine and ignition system (if there is one) are in good health, but they are going to struggle if the engine needs to be cranked for several seconds.

The same applies to the extent of the remaining charge in the vehicle's main battery. They will probably do their job if the main battery has just dipped below the required charge for starting, but may not work for (say) a 3L diesel when the main battery is totally discharged.

I make sure I have the boost pack and jump cables (with a large sectional area) in the boot to cover most eventualities.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:11 AM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I had an E46 330ci, never had a problem with it not starting after being away on holidays, think you’ve got a battery drain issue somewhere if your battery and alternator are in good condition.
Appreciate 0