F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Dealer Ran up Miles While Servicing- Recourse?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
joshvt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Dealer Ran up Miles While Servicing- Recourse?

Last week I took my 16 F31 in for service. It's going out of warranty in March so I wanted to get a few things checked out (occasional tailgate malfunction, brakes) along with the regular service and a new tire...

I dropped it off on Wednesday and had scheduled a loaner. The service guy asked if I was ok if they needed to keep it for a few days b/c they are backed up. They gave me a nice G30 msport loaner so I was fine- told him to take their time. He checked in every day and said they were working on it. Friday he calls at end of day and tells me I can pick up on Monday.

So this afternoon I go to pick it up. All fine except on the way home I notice I only have 3/4 tank of gas. I had filled it up the day before and it was F when I dropped it. Drive home is about 9 miles. I get home and look at the invoice. Mileage in: 24603. Mileage out: 24605. Mileage parked in my garage 24658. take out the 9 miles it took me to get home and the car has +/-44 unaccounted for miles on it- and used 1/4 tank of gas- seems like a fair assumption they weren't driving like grandma. Needless to say, I am pissed. Wish I would have noticed this while still at the dealer, but since I didn't I immediately call the service guy. He is super apologetic, but has no explanation. I ask for a manager- same thing. He is looking into it and supposed to talk to the service foreman tomorrow. They have promised to do whatever it takes to make it right- not even sure what that is...

This is am F31 with track package that I bought with the intention of keeping for a while. It's been garaged and well cared for, adult driven, etc. The main thing I am interested in is knowing that the car was not abused. I have heard the computer documents launch control usage (mine has never been launched). Does anyone know how much history or other driving data the computer stores? Is this something I could request the dealer print to show me? Or is it something they could tamper with and I should seek to get from a different source? The whole situation sucks b/c I actually like the dealer, have always had good experiences and this is just such a letdown... Advice?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
If it's only a nine mile drive, I would have kept the car. My dealership is 60 miles away and I would have brought my car back home. That way I know these kind of things won't happen.

I also really like my dealership and trust them. I just trust myself more.

Sounds like you had a pretty nice car to drive though!!
      02-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
SpecialK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

You said that they did work on the brakes - there could have been a noise issue or something else after their install, and they needed to drive the car to diagnose. Maybe they used your vehicle to train a new tech. Who knows? Most small print on service documentation states that miles may need to be put on your car for any number of reasons. Maybe they mistyped the mileage on the form when the car was taken in...

Honestly, I wouldn't complain about ~44 miles. The most you'll likely get from them is your fuel tank topped off next time the car is in for service or repair. At the end of the day, it's a mass-production BMW, not a limited edition car that loses x amount of value per mile driven.

Lesson learned - have them request approval should they need to drive the car more than around the parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Id guess they had the car idling for some time and had to do some test drives (including hard stops) for the brakes and everything else. That would easily consume more fuel for the 44 miles mentioned above. I wouldn't necessarily think that they were out there drag racing your f31 or something.

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0