F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Battery Drained within 1 hour
ARMA SPEED

02-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
jonmccaw
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i F30

Smile Battery Drained within 1 hour

I charged my battery up to 100% over night and on my way to work (drive time is 1 hour) the battery was depleted by the time I parked it at work.

I've recently replaced the alternator and the battery is only 6 months old. I also bought the full version of CARLY and it found a few items that I need to take a look at but not sure where to start

Here's what CARLY found;

INFO 134A02 Valvetronic servomotor: overload

INFO 135302 Valvetronic Servomotor: components protection, shutdown system

INFO 133B06 Valvetronic system: No adjustment possible

INFO 135706 Valvetronic system: learned lower stop

INFO 216104 MSA Monitoring: Start delay

INFO 21A023 Engine: false start or engine starting without a driver influence

Where do I get the info on all of these error codes so that they can be resolved and perhaps solve the battery drain.

My assumption is that one or more of these has something to do with the battery drain.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

My logic is that, if your battery drained while driving, your alternator is not working... I dont think anything could drain a sufficient amount of power to drain your battery while driving if your alternator was working?

Also low voltage is known to cause a number of issues... so how do you know those were not a result of the battery drain (and not the cause)?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
jonmccaw
Rep

unless the alternator is bad, which I had tested along with the battery while at one of the auto shops in town. i believe it was Auto Zone. there must be something other than that causing the issue.

NOTE: I tested using sport mode while driving and it seems to charge the battery enough so that I don't see the error when parking. So the extra revs must be charging it enough to not lose much power in the battery.

These are the only issues that stay after the battery is at 100% from a charge over night at 10A. charging at 2A leaves me at 60-80% after one night of charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
If Auto Zone tested the battery and it passed, and the alternator passed also, something is seriously draining your battery.

One way to tell if the battery is being drained is to pull the negative terminal off the battery with everything turned off and measure the amperage between the cable and the post. Some amperage is normal with the trunk open (the light is on) but it should not be much. If it reads more than a couple of amps with everything off then that's a problem.
      02-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
jonmccaw
Rep

turns out up by the post for the battery in the engine area, a wire melted / welded itself to the body. The part is not available anywhere in the USA. Have to get it from Germany which means it gets put on a boat and it arrives 2-3 months later. Only alternative is to overnight on a plane. It's still a 2 week wait for the part.

Attached Images

Last edited by jonmccaw; 02-25-2020 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: adding photos
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmccaw View Post
turns out up by the post for the battery in the engine area, a wire melted / welded itself to the body. The part is not available anywhere in the USA. Have to get it from Germany which means it gets put on a boat and it arrives 2-3 months later. Only alternative is to overnight on a plane. It's still a 2 week wait for the part.

maybe also follow that wire and see what it's for and no problems in how it's been ran, something caused that wire to melt and it might just happen again if you replace the parts, or just keep an eye on it after replacing.
      02-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Is it a positive wire? It could have just worn through the shielding and grounded to the frame.

As mentioned above you need to trace it as well and make sure nothing else was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Something caused that! Need to rectify that or you may be back in the same "boat' again.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
jonmccaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Is it a positive wire? It could have just worn through the shielding and grounded to the frame.

As mentioned above you need to trace it as well and make sure nothing else was damaged.
Yes it is a positive wire.

And it did exactly that.. grounded to the frame
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
jonmccaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Something caused that! Need to rectify that or you may be back in the same "boat' again.
My mechanic said it happened back a year or so ago when I replaced the valve cover gasket. This was popped loose when taking all the parts off to get to the gasket.

I wasn't aware that there is a connection between the firewall and the engine that needed to be put back in place.

So, this has been rectified and everything is working MUCH better - including MPG is up from 24 to almost 29mpg

This is due to the lack of cars on the hwy now. But it's an improvement.
Appreciate 0