F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Race Chip
proTUNING Freaks

03-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
nbay89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xdrive Coupe M sport

Race Chip

Any experience with Race Chip? Specifically the GTS Black. Loving the idea of 75 hp gain and up to 20% improvement in mpg. Any input is appreciated. Adding the CTS intake and M performance exhaust very soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

genuine do your car a favour and rather go with MHD or BM3 which are flash tunes that are far superior and safer in every way to a racechip.

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 2
harkes1077.00
nbay8970.00
      03-06-2020, 12:09 AM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Wow never even heard of that thing until now... but yeah, just get BM3 or MHD. The MPG claim seem suspicious also...

Also, skip the intake a get a charge pipe instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:32 AM   #4
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbay89 View Post
Any experience with Race Chip? Specifically the GTS Black. Loving the idea of 75 hp gain and up to 20% improvement in mpg. Any input is appreciated. Adding the CTS intake and M performance exhaust very soon.
gaining power with less mpg
      03-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
btetier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i M-Sport

Dont get an intake or the race chip. both are useless. get Bootmod3 (BM3), a charge pipe from VRSF, and a bigger intercooler. those are basically necessities when you want to go faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Race chip is a fine tune, reliable and safe.

That being said the MPG claim is false. I have also noticed that they exaggerate their gains.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 4
      03-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Read the FAQ.

https://www.burgertuning.com/pages/f...vs%20RaceChip?
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

That being said the MPG claim is false. I have also noticed that they exaggerate their gains.
Sorry, a little off topic but generally speaking, do you get better gas mileage with a tune? I was honestly expecting a downturn in MPG, due to the added power but it actually has gone up... :

I figure it was all in my head but I gathered factual proof, so there's that..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sorry, a little off topic but generally speaking, do you get better gas mileage with a tune? I was honestly expecting a downturn in MPG, due to the added power but it actually has gone up... :

MPG is heavily dependent on driving habits, among numerous other factors of course. But all else being equal (same car, same hardware, same tire pressure, etc), driving habits can have a huge impact on your actual MPG. I would suspect this is probably the main explanation - a lighter foot given that increased power at a given throttle %.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

MPG is heavily dependent on driving habits, among numerous other factors of course. But all else being equal (same car, same hardware, same tire pressure, etc), driving habits can have a huge impact on your actual MPG. I would suspect this is probably the main explanation - a lighter foot given that increased power at a given throttle %.
Everything remained the same, including my daily chores, so there is no mental bias.

I just had noticed I needed to go less frequent the pump, then I started taking notice, which then indicted that the MPG readout increased from roughly 18 average to mid-20s, after weeks of the same exact driving style, as pre-tune.

Logically, I believe your explanation is accurate because now that the power tip-in is more front-loaded, I don't have to step on the pedal as much, to achieve the same pull as before, thus, less demand/use of gas.

So weird, if I didn't notice this for myself and anyone claim an improvement in MPG, I would of strait up called BS but seeing is believing.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      03-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Everything remained the same, including my daily chores, so there is no mental bias.

I just had noticed I needed to go less frequent the pump, then I started taking notice, which then indicted that the MPG readout increased from roughly 18 average to mid-20s, after weeks of the same exact driving style, as pre-tune.

Logically, I believe your explanation is accurate because now that the power tip-in is more front-loaded, I don't have to step on the pedal as much, to achieve the same pull as before, thus, less demand/use of gas.

So weird, if I didn't notice this for myself and anyone claim an improvement in MPG, I would of strait up called BS but seeing is believing.
Yup, bolded part above is what i meant (not mental bias). For example i know when my car is cold, i feel like i am barely even touching the gas pedal. I am very conscious of letting the car warm up before i lean into it at all, and i feel like this requires more conscious effort to control pedal input after the tune than before.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The "mileage increase" is just the computer being fooled most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
What’s the deal with the gas mileage claims? JB4 competitors often make false claims of “improved fuel economy” using their tuning systems. It is not possible to improve fuel economy using MAP sensor tuning and generally speaking more horsepower requires more fuel to support it. So what is the basis of these claims? It all comes down to how fuel economy is measured by the factory computer in some vehicles. Since RaceChip and other simplistic MAP clamp tuning systems apply a preset boost increase at all times regardless of gas pedal position or operational mode, some vehicles base their internal mileage reading off this full time bogus signal resulting in higher than actual mileage displayed in dash. If you measure economy using your trip meter in dash you’ll discover not that fuel economy has increased but rather that RaceChip has simply made the internal gas mileage reading inaccurate. The JB4 on the other hand generally does not negatively affect the economy readings in dash, and while it’s always true that making more power requires more fuel, with the JB4 you’re only using more fuel when racing around under heavy throttle making more power. Fuel economy during normal driving with the JB4 enabled is unchanged.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
The "mileage increase" is just the computer being fooled most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
What's the deal with the gas mileage claims?
The MPG did factually improve, it's not manipulation.

Stock engines are tuned to produce a good balance between fuel economy and power for the specific vehicle model, for which the customer the company hopes to attract.

However, there also legal considerations given that regulate a vehicle's emissions standards, which intentionally prevents the vehicle from running more efficiently, without a air pollution trade off.

Aftermarket tuners don't have to follow such smog guidelines, so they can optimize the boost, timing, air to fuel ratios, ect. to emphasize a more efficient power output, over a balance (i.e legal) emission standard, from the factory mapping.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The MPG did factually improve, it's not manipulation.

Stock engines are tuned to produce a good balance between fuel economy and power for the specific vehicle model, for which the customer the company hopes to attract.

However, there also legal considerations given that regulate a vehicle's emissions standards, which intentionally prevents the vehicle from running more efficiently, without a air pollution trade off.

Aftermarket tuners don't have to follow such smog guidelines, so they can optimize the boost, timing, air to fuel ratios, ect. to emphasize a more efficient power output, over a balance (i.e legal) emission standard, from the factory mapping.
In theory that can be done with flash tuning, for example removing your cat converter can also improve mileage, but such changes are not possible with a "Race Chip".
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

If your driving habits are the same, MPG is the same.
If you drive faster, MPG will decrease.

Same applies whether you are stock or tuned.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #16
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Unless you drive like an old lady your gas mileage will most likely go down post tune. It,s simple math. How are you going to make more power and not consume more gas. I have bm3 stage 1 and I get about 19 mpg average.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Unless you drive like an old lady your gas mileage will most likely go down post tune. It,s simple math. How are you going to make more power and not consume more gas. I have bm3 stage 1 and I get about 19 mpg average.
I don't remember what i got before tune, but on my normal commute i get about 16, if i have more highway i get closer to 20. I drive like an old lady until the car is warm, but have a heavy foot once its good to go; hence, the low average. I definitely dont get higher MPG, just saying it is possible, but likely a result of driving habits and not the tune itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:05 AM   #18
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
go with a flash tune!

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #19
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I don't remember what i got before tune, but on my normal commute i get about 16, if i have more highway i get closer to 20. I drive like an old lady until the car is warm, but have a heavy foot once its good to go; hence, the low average. I definitely dont get higher MPG, just saying it is possible, but likely a result of driving habits and not the tune itself.
I'm at 15 right now
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #20
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:

super happy with the racechip on mine. install was a breeze and the power increase is nice. not massive, but I wasn't looking to do a flash. def worth it!
Appreciate 1
nbay8970.00
      03-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #21
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
In theory that can be done with flash tuning, for example removing your cat converter can also improve mileage, but such changes are not possible with a "Race Chip".

im not sure I believe that to be true actually in terms of a piggy back unit not being able to support some fuel mileage increases. There seems to be plenty of cases out there to support this
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
Bluebeasty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport FBO BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btetier View Post
Dont get an intake or the race chip. both are useless. get Bootmod3 (BM3), a charge pipe from VRSF, and a bigger intercooler. those are basically necessities when you want to go faster.
+1
Appreciate 0