F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > End of Lease Purchase
Studio RSR

08-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
SsixHiMod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something with a turbo

End of Lease Purchase

For those who bough their cars at the end of the lease, did you talk to the new or used car sales?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

It doesn't matter honestly. Lease buyout's aren't typically commission'ed units and there is no negotiation on price. A client advisor on new or used should be able to help you, or if not not the sales manager himself.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
It doesn't matter honestly. Lease buyout's aren't typically commission'ed units and there is no negotiation on price. A client advisor on new or used should be able to help you, or if not not the sales manager himself.
Not true.

Plenty of negotiations.

There is just no negotiation if you buy direct from BMWFS

Used Car Manager best bet.
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

This was my deal a few months ago.

Buyout was $34K from BMWFS. My car was NOT worth that even in mint condition (it was involved in 2 minor body work repairs). I tried negotiating with the dealer I was going to turn it in with. I got them quickly to $35K out the door (includes tax, title, fees)

So I walked and ordered a new lease through my broker (not the dealer I was negotiating with)

After turning the lease in, I saw it on their lot for $28K. Then $26K. Then it disappeared. Thinking it sold. Turned out it went to auction because they couldn't over charge for it. I ended up across the state on a used car lot (generic) for $24K. It's sold since then. I was very tempted to drive over the and buy it haha

See what happens when dealers get greedy? I hope they took a huge loss on it after buying it from BMWFS. Fuckin' schmucks! (many reasons not just because I didn't get a good price)

So they will likely negotiate a little. Don't expect much. Not BMWFS though...

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 4
kern4174442.00
bueller173.50
N26Ghost496.50
      08-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Talked to my sales manager when I bought my 335i after the lease. Also bought extended warranty as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
Talked to my sales manager when I bought my 335i after the lease. Also bought extended warranty as well.
Everything can be negotiated. If someone tells you that isn't an option, ask to speak to their boss.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4481.50
      08-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post

Buyout was $34K from BMWFS. My car was NOT worth that even in mint condition (it was involved in 2 minor body work repairs). I tried negotiating with the dealer I was going to turn it in with. I got them quickly to $35K out the door (includes tax, title, fees)

So I walked and ordered a new lease through my broker (not the dealer I was negotiating with)

After turning the lease in, I saw it on their lot for $28K. Then $26K. Then it disappeared. Thinking it sold. Turned out it went to auction because they couldn't over charge for it. I ended up across the state on a used car lot (generic) for $24K. It's sold since then. I was very tempted to drive over the and buy it haha

See what happens when dealers get greedy? I hope they took a huge loss on it after buying it from BMWFS. Fuckin' schmucks! (many reasons not just because I didn't get a good price)

Same thing happened with my 428GC M-Sport. Buyout price was $32.5k but they wouldn't negotiate. They tried selling it as a CPO at various prices starting at $32k, all the way down to $27k, when I assume it was sold. I would've purchased it for $30k as it was a really good car, but by the time it got down below that price I had something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Same thing happened with my 428GC M-Sport. Buyout price was $32.5k but they wouldn't negotiate. They tried selling it as a CPO at various prices starting at $32k, all the way down to $27k, when I assume it was sold. I would've purchased it for $30k as it was a really good car, but by the time it got down below that price I had something else.
ANY BMW Dealership can purchase your lease turn in from BMWFS for the same price.

Considering that there are hundreds if not thousands of Dealerships in the USA, if you cannot find several to sell you at a much lower price in 15-30 minutes, you are not putting any effort into it.

My last BMWFS buyout was right about $40k. I paid a Dealership $31.5k out the door iirc and several were fighting to make the deal with me.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      08-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Me and my friend did something different...we know the sale manager for a long time...bought 4 cars from him. What we did was return the lease but he told us when it comes back to the use lot, he will let us know. There it was like $ 8k less than the lease buyout.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      08-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

From the other forum, there appears to be lots of changes for lease end return.

For one, if dealer buys lease return from BMWFS and resell to same lessee, the price must be contracted RV minus a modest discount(e.g. $1000), or else the dealer will get charge back for the difference from BMWFS/BMWNA.

That effectively kills the lease end buyout discount strategy that many benefit from.
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
      08-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
From the other forum, there appears to be lots of changes for lease end return.

For one, if dealer buys lease return from BMWFS and resell to same lessee, the price must be contracted RV minus a modest discount(e.g. $1000), or else the dealer will get charge back for the difference from BMWFS/BMWNA.

That effectively kills the lease end buyout discount strategy that many benefit from.
That sounds illegal and most probably an incorrect internet rumor. It certainly has not been true in past years.

Especially considering that the originating Dealership must buyback virtually all the leases they originate on end of lease turn in ar their Dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
That sounds illegal and most probably an incorrect internet rumor. It certainly has not been true in past years.

Especially considering that the originating Dealership must buyback virtually all the leases they originate on end of lease turn in ar their Dealership.
Do check out this thread, the CA who participated on that thread confirmed the new policy(that tracks VIN + original lessee).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1281042&page=5

Post#109 lists the discount off RV of each model.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do check out this thread, the CA who participated on that thread confirmed the new policy(that tracks VIN + original lessee).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1281042&page=5

Post#109 lists the discount off RV of each model.
Still sounds suspicious

Regardless, I intend to call some Managers I know to double check.

I am sure I could arrange for a neighborhood corner used car lot to buy car from Dealership at the discounted price and resale to me for several hundred dollars quick and easy money for them if so motivated.

Dealership can also send car to auction and one track and risk having another Dealer buy there for them.

I bet one could use another household member and another address if really needed as well for purchase from Dealer.

Too many ways to get around this.

Again, if you cannot think of them, you are not trying.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #14
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
You can definitely negotiate. I got about $2500 off the lease end buyout, and that was with the car in excellent condition and only 19,000 miles on the car out of the 30,000 mile lease. Also, you can save on paying the last couple months of lease payments by buying out a little early. Just like buying a new car, shop around using multiple dealerships to get them competing with each other and increase your leverage.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #15
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Still sounds suspicious

I am sure I could arrange for a neighborhood corner used car lot to buy car from Dealership at the discounted price and resale to me for several hundred dollars quick and easy money for them if so motivated.

Dealership can also send car to auction and one track and risk having another Dealer buy there for them.

I bet one could use another household member and another address if really needed as well for purchase from Dealer.

Do report back to forum what your dealer contacts say.

If confirmed, none of your proposed strategies will beat the good old days of negotiating $8k-$10k off RV and paying sales tax only on one transaction.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still sounds suspicious

Do report back to forum what your dealer contacts say.

If confirmed, none of your proposed strategies will beat the good old days of negotiating $8k-$10k off RV and paying sales tax only on one transaction.
Dealers do not pay sales tax

So would still only pay sales tax once.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #17
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:

That is true for dealer->dealer route, the other dealer->friend/family route may not work as well, if the car needs to be registered again under original lessee.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
SsixHiMod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something with a turbo

OK so it doesn't matter if I talk to new or used car sales then? I have also seen this RV discount printed and it is indeed 4k. That still puts me at 6k over the auction/trade-in value and about 2k from the avg asking CPO price around me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak102 View Post
OK so it doesn't matter if I talk to new or used car sales then? I have also seen this RV discount printed and it is indeed 4k. That still puts me at 6k over the auction/trade-in value and about 2k from the avg asking CPO price around me.
can u share the printout of these RV discounts?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is true for dealer->dealer route, the other dealer->friend/family route may not work as well, if the car needs to be registered again under original lessee.
Form a LLC for $79 online and buy it in the LLC name directly from Dealership at the lower negotiated price.

In fact thinking about it, a LLC also makes some sense anyway in a car registration to protect you better if a non-family member was driving the car and had a bad accident.

Easy.

A trust would also work, though more complicated to set up.

As I said, the workarounds are countless unless you aren't thinking.
Appreciate 2
N26Ghost496.50
      08-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #21
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Do a LLC and buy it in the LLC name directly from Dealership at the lower negotiated price.

Easy.

The countless workarounds are extra time and work, right?
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      08-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do a LLC and buy it in the LLC name directly from Dealership at the lower negotiated price.

Easy.

The countless workarounds are extra time and work, right?
Saving money is always extra work.

Sorry some people want easy street and everything handed to them.
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50