F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need tires. Reco?
proTUNING Freaks

10-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #23
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post
How many miles did you get out of the P4S? I personally would have went with Continental Extreme ContactPlus that is P4S competitor and gone with dedicated winter wheels/tires if you're located where it gets snow.
I got 30k out of the pilots. Not enough for me but that's what they are rated at.
I have dedicated snow tires/rims and it's an easy swap. However I am liking the idea of performance all season tires, where I don't have to time the exact moment to swap the winter tires in. That was always a headache in Ohio where you get October snow and then November summer ("Indian summer").
      10-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I'm another Conti DWS 06 fan. In the USA, Continental will be running a sale on them in November (if I read their presser correctly)
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      11-01-2021, 03:54 AM   #25
estelle_eric
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

In the past I was not very fan of Continental compared to Michelin PS4S. Interested to have your feedback about DWS06...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #26
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I got 30k out of the pilots. Not enough for me but that's what they are rated at.
I have dedicated snow tires/rims and it's an easy swap. However I am liking the idea of performance all season tires, where I don't have to time the exact moment to swap the winter tires in. That was always a headache in Ohio where you get October snow and then November summer ("Indian summer").
Kind of defeats the purpose of having two sets of tires though, right?

Otherwise just rationalize into one set with DWS06+ on them?

I like having Potenza 001 on my 19" summer set and Pirelli Sottozeros on my 18" winter set as it's the best performance for either condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #27
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
Quote:
Kind of defeats the purpose of having two sets of tires though, right?

Otherwise just rationalize into one set with DWS06+ on them?

I like having Potenza 001 on my 19" summer set and Pirelli Sottozeros on my 18" winter set as it's the best performance for either condition.
Dunno man. The snow traction of blizzaks is superb. No all season tire will give me that confidence with 2 inches of snow or more.
      11-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #28
midxotic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340ix  [9.50]
I had DWS06 on my 5er and they were perfect in all seasons - not loud and rode well, definitely a tire I would recommend.
I'm currently running AS3+ and have no complaints thus far but have yet to experience them in winter. After the season, they will be swapped for MPS4S in the spring/summer.

OP I think you made the right decision going for DWS06 as perfect mix between all season and performance.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #29
roadracer516
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, Z4 35i

Quote:
I'm using 25/45ZR-18 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S XL tires on my f30 X DRIVE

I'd like to try something different. Looking for a smooth drive even if all weather tires. Any reco?
LOTS of Conti DWS06 peeps here and I have run several sets of Conti's. I live in snow country and although I don't drive in the snow if I can avoid it (I have a truck for that), I can say that Conti's work really well in the snow and I have mileage in snow to confirm. Drove my F25 X3 3.5 MSport the most in the snow on Conti's and they kicked ass! Also had them on a 750ix where they also worked well. I have also had Blizzak's as dedicated winters, you for sure cannot go wrong there.

All this said, I decided to try out a set of Vredestein Quadtrac Pro's out on my 435ix. Only have about 2k miles on them so far and all in the dry. Very Quiet, decent grip, but for sure no UHP summer tires. We will see what happens in the snow, they are rated a bit better than the Conti's in the snow.
Current: G01 X3 M40i (Carbon Black / Black Vernasca, Blue stitch Leather), E89 Z4 35i (Alpine White / Kansas beige leather), Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 (Black / Black leather), 2004 Honda Goldwing - Previously owned BMW's: E36 M3, E46 330i, E46 M3, F25 X3 3.5i M Sport, G12 750ix M Sport, F32 435i xdrive M Sport.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      11-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Dunno man. The snow traction of blizzaks is superb. No all season tire will give me that confidence with 2 inches of snow or more.
I think we're saying the same thing.

It's better to have 2 sets of dedicated winter/summer, than 1 set of all-season compromise - if your climate warrants it.

Probably don't need winter tires in Florida or Texas.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #31
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing.

It's better to have 2 sets of dedicated winter/summer, than 1 set of all-season compromise - if your climate warrants it.

Probably don't need winter tires in Florida or Texas.
Not sure I understood your point initially but I'm doing all season during spring summer and fall. And then dedicated snow tires during winter.

Yes summer and winter tires is better. My approach I think is the next best thing lol. All season in winter is not good enough for me. And summer performance tires are crazy expensive and last much less than the all season.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my choice !
      11-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
And summer performance tires are crazy expensive and last much less than the all season.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my choice !
Everyone of course has different needs, budget, etc, but you get what you pay for in terms of performance

Summer tires aren't really "crazy expensive" when you consider how often you actually buy them, but again that depends on your use case and what you consider expensive. I will gladly spend $1,000 on a set of UHP summer tires that will last me 20-30k miles. That's easily 5-6 years of driving (for me, probably more now). I could get a cheaper set of reasonable tires for what, $600? So i save well under $100 per year to have significantly better performance when i want and need it.... Now if you are driving 30k miles per year and don't have high expectations or needs then sure, skip the UHP. Just putting things in perspective. Makes no sense to me to not buy the highest performing tires you can afford when tires fundamentally determine the performance of your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #33
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Yeah you make sense but only if you are CERTAIN when to time the swap to winter tires. The main point I'm making is that for me, in Ohio, you can't time it. And then you find yourself either driving on a snowy day with UHP summer tires OR driving winter tires in 67 degree weather. Lol
      11-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #34
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Yeah you make sense but only if you are CERTAIN when to time the swap to winter tires. The main point I'm making is that for me, in Ohio, you can't time it. And then you find yourself either driving on a snowy day with UHP summer tires OR driving winter tires in 67 degree weather. Lol
Understandable if you have to daily drive and have moments with temperature swings as you mentioned. As others have said, I also run the MP4S tires for summer and use a the all season 3 (soon to be 4) during the colder months up in NYC. Arguably, I don't have to drive out in snow as I can get away working remotely and have my significant other's X5 to use when she's not using it but everyone's situations of course differs. Barring cost, the MP4S are the best tires I've come across for UHP and despite their rather expensive price tag, I'm sure I don't fully get the full mileage rating out of them due to our beloved NYC roads that manages to sometimes eat a tire per year due to road imperfections. Just sharing my opinion as they can be expensive tires yes but when the weather permits for them, they always bring smiles compared to other tires I've gone through for the summer / fall ish weather here.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #35
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Quote:
Exactly. Last week in SE Pennsylvania, it was 75F. Today the high was 44F with a freeze warning for tonight.

It's why I go with the DWS06. Plus, I don't have room to store summer tires
Appreciate 2
adhrp1292.50
gnolivos319.00
      11-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #36
obzen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i Gran Coupe

I just got the pilot sport AS 4s and I dig them a lot. I had dws06 prior and they're great also but I found them a little more "floaty" and soft then the Michelins but it's personal preference.
//MST intake
//AutoTechnik brace
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #37
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

For those that swear their UHP Summer tires are the ultimate in performance, worth the cost and miles ahead of the AS counterparts, the new Vette comes stock with AS tires, not to mention track results from TIRERACK testing are almost identical.

Regarding the Vette, Summer tires couldn't handle the G forces in testing. I think i read that correctly somewhere.
      11-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
For those that swear their UHP Summer tires are the ultimate in performance, worth the cost and miles ahead of the AS counterparts, the new Vette comes stock with AS tires, not to mention track results from TIRERACK testing are almost identical.

Regarding the Vette, Summer tires couldn't handle the G forces in testing. I think i read that correctly somewhere.
Links for the first part, please.

Also not sure what the 2nd part means - the tires couldn't handle the g forces? Huh?

I've driven on michelin pilot sport AS3+, MPSS, and PS4S, not to mention the RFT that come stock (S001). The PS4S are far better than the AS3+ for performance which is essentially the AS counterpart. The AS3+ is still a very good tire, but the difference between AS and Summer is apparent.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #39
F30Mo16
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

I just got a Dw06 on my F30 - love them! Never will get cheaper tires ever again
Appreciate 0