F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Aftermarket turbo inlet on stock turbo.
proTUNING Freaks

05-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #111
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
I actually messaged him regarding this exact thing when I was having installation problems and he said that he did not have that auxillary pump in that location. I used his video a lot during my installation (thank you again BMW DIY Guy). Have not seen anyone else even remotely mention it either. When I called and spoke to Jimmy at PureTurbos he had never heard of any installation problems because of that pump.
Ah OK.

Still curious if anyone has done the VRSF or MST options.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #112
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Ah OK.

Still curious if anyone has done the VRSF or MST options.

Vader solutions also has an N55 high flow inlet. Low price. Looks similar to the VRSF or the v1 Pure.

I feel like I read a thread that someone went this route. Dont recall if he posted any results or post install thoughts.

I'm curious how these are attached to the turbo. The MST v2 and Pure v2 both have a bracket to bolt to the turbo. The Pure v1/VRSF/Vader dont appear to have the bracket. Just friction fit?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #113
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Vader solutions also has an N55 high flow inlet. Low price. Looks similar to the VRSF or the v1 Pure.

I feel like I read a thread that someone went this route. Dont recall if he posted any results or post install thoughts.

I'm curious how these are attached to the turbo. The MST v2 and Pure v2 both have a bracket to bolt to the turbo. The Pure v1/VRSF/Vader dont appear to have the bracket. Just friction fit?
https://vadersolution.com/products/vs-n55-inlet-upgrade

Is that the one you are talking about? It looks quite short compared to the VRSF and other similar options... It doesnt even specifically say it will work with stock inlet cut to fit. More of a DIY.

You are correct that some options do not have the bracket where the bolt goes through to hold it onto the turbo. Apparently the nut does contact the inlet a bit though and sort of holds it on? I have been talking alot with ozymandias435 who is doing a lot of experimenting with different inlets and hes said that they fit very tight and the nut does help a little. Still seems like a inferior design, like the downpipes that dont have the support bracket on them. I guess its a way to cut costs.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #114
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
FTP came out with version 2 of the inlet pipe that is bigger. And its still $100 cheaper than the pure.
https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-intel-pipe
this is what i'd get. i'm not sure if V2 is as big as Pure but i wouldn't be surprised if it's close, since Pure diameter caused them to revise it. FTP is very high quality finish and fitment. $180 free ship(with code) to your door. can be on your car in less than a week.

i have their products on my N20
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #115
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
this is what i'd get. i'm not sure if V2 is as big as Pure but i wouldn't be surprised if it's close, since Pure diameter caused them to revise it. FTP is very high quality finish and fitment. $180 free ship(with code) to your door. can be on your car in less than a week.

i have their products on my N20
Per earlier posts the FTP v2 is not as big as Pure or MST (or even the cut and fit options it seems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Measurements in American Freedom units (Dumb, I know - but consistent)

Inlet measurements

MST V1 -1.73”
MST V2 - 2.27”
Pure - 2.27”
FTP V1 - 1.87”
FTP V2 - 2.03”
Stock - 1.83”
That also looks consistent with oma's measurements.

I am also not sure about the fairly abrupt change in diameter in the FTP and Pure; im sure it works fine but something about the smooth transition in diameter of the MST seems appealing. At the same time, having a silicone instead of rigid pipe under vacuum (albeit relatively small vacuum if your intake is not super restrictive) doesn't seem ideal.

I love the idea of adding an inlet just for the sake of optimization but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on one yet.
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #116
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I am also not sure about the fairly abrupt change in diameter in the FTP and Pure; im sure it works fine but something about the smooth transition in diameter of the MST seems appealing. At the same time, having a silicone instead of rigid pipe under vacuum (albeit relatively small vacuum if your intake is not super restrictive) doesn't seem ideal.
just looked at MST. silicone it is less prone to heatsoak and being cylindrical i doubt the turbo suction can deform it. smooth diameter reduction is better as well. imo, appears the MST would have the best flow and coolest air. it'd be interesting to see a dyno comparison on the same car.

after looking at the MST i'd probably get that instead
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #117
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Measurements in American Freedom units (Dumb, I know - but consistent)

Inlet measurements

MST V1 -1.73”
MST V2 - 2.27”
Pure - 2.27”
FTP V1 - 1.87”
FTP V2 - 2.03”
Stock - 1.83”
MST V1 - Is this what they list for stock turbo?
MST V2 - Listed for upgraded turbo?

Anyone heard any updated on BMS releasing a 3" inlet? I seen it posted several weeks back on a different forum.

What about VRSF's inlet? Any measurements on this one?
Attached Images

Last edited by 5w20; 05-25-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #118
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post

Anyone heard any updated on BMS releasing a 3" inlet? I seen it posted several weeks back on a different forum.
I will be able to confirm tomorrow about the MST V2 fitting stock turbo. I previously had the Pure Aluminum inlet and watched the Kies video of him pulling a Pure inlet out of his turbo and putting the MST V2 right back in. So in theory they are the same size and both should fit stock turbo. To me the MST V1 and V2 both look like they have the same external diameter, but on the V2 it is more hollowed out to make the internal diameter larger.

Saw that same thread regarding the BMS Inlet but have not seen any more information on it. Not really sure where they are going to get any more space from because the Pure and MST V2 seem to be maxing out the turbo opening.

The Pure is 2.5 inches external diameter and 2.28 inches internal diameter for reference.
Appreciate 1
5w20280.50
      05-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #119
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:

I have that VRSF one as well. Exact same numbers as the Pure Inlet

2.5 External
2.28 internal
Appreciate 1
5w20280.50
      05-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #120
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Link?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #121
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Link?

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showt...t=42512&page=5
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #122
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
I will be able to confirm tomorrow about the MST V2 fitting stock turbo. I previously had the Pure Aluminum inlet and watched the Kies video of him pulling a Pure inlet out of his turbo and putting the MST V2 right back in. So in theory they are the same size and both should fit stock turbo. To me the MST V1 and V2 both look like they have the same external diameter, but on the V2 it is more hollowed out to make the internal diameter larger.

Saw that same thread regarding the BMS Inlet but have not seen any more information on it. Not really sure where they are going to get any more space from because the Pure and MST V2 seem to be maxing out the turbo opening.

The Pure is 2.5 inches external diameter and 2.28 inches internal diameter for reference.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too but I wanted it clarified.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #123
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!

That looks like it may be for the E series.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #124
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

So i had another observation about the two MST options once i watched the kies video. As you will see in my attachments below, you catch a glimpse of the actual inlet to the turbo compressor housing for a stock turbo. It looks like there is quite a big step down in diameter from the ID of where the inlet actually slides into and the ID where the air actually go into the compressor wheel. This is where there might be a drawback to actually using the hybrid turbo MST aluminum piece instead of the stock turbo one - even if they are the same OD and fit the stock turbo housing just fine, the larger ID of the hybrid turbo one is going to mean that the air coming into the compressor is going to hit that "lip" where there is an abrupt change in diameter from the ID of the MST inlet to the ID of the turbo where the air goes into the compressor wheel. I assume the hybrid turbos machine this to be a larger opening, hence why you would want a larger ID MST inlet in that case.

You will see he is demonstrating this with what appears to be the hybrid turbo inlet, but thats because the car he is installing it on actually had a PS2 i believe.

What would be really useful is if someone can measure the ID of the compressor housing where the air goes into the compressor wheel (arrow pointing below). You really need to have that exactly match the inlet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #125
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
So i had another observation about the two MST options once i watched the kies video. As you will see in my attachments below, you catch a glimpse of the actual inlet to the turbo compressor housing for a stock turbo. It looks like there is quite a big step down in diameter from the ID of where the inlet actually slides into and the ID where the air actually go into the compressor wheel. This is where there might be a drawback to actually using the hybrid turbo MST aluminum piece instead of the stock turbo one - even if they are the same OD and fit the stock turbo housing just fine, the larger ID of the hybrid turbo one is going to mean that the air coming into the compressor is going to hit that "lip" where there is an abrupt change in diameter from the ID of the MST inlet to the ID of the turbo where the air goes into the compressor wheel. I assume the hybrid turbos machine this to be a larger opening, hence why you would want a larger ID MST inlet in that case.

You will see he is demonstrating this with what appears to be the hybrid turbo inlet, but thats because the car he is installing it on actually had a PS2 i believe.

What would be really useful is if someone can measure the ID of the compressor housing where the air goes into the compressor wheel (arrow pointing below). You really need to have that exactly match the inlet.
Good catch. Just eyeballing it in the picture, it seems as if the stock inlet mouth should almost be an exact fit for the turbo hole. Could be why it is designed to the diameter that it is. Appears to be between .25 inches and .5 inches on that lip. Turbo ED opening is just over 2.5 inches so with that math the mouth of turbo should be somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches.

Stock inlet mouth is 1.85 inches

As for using a larger inlet mouth against the stock turbo hole......Pure and MST V2 are the exact same size. Seems like some people are having success with the Pure at picking up some small MAF gains

It seems to me that having the inlet be slightly larger than the mouth of the turbo then that would give the turbo the most access to air. You're saying that the turbo would suck more air with more of a vacuum through a pipe the size of the opening that then gets larger?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #126
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good catch. Just eyeballing it in the picture, it seems as if the stock inlet mouth should almost be an exact fit for the turbo hole. Could be why it is designed to the diameter that it is. Appears to be between .25 inches and .5 inches on that lip. Turbo ED opening is just over 2.5 inches so with that math the mouth of turbo should be somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches.

Stock inlet mouth is 1.85 inches

As for using a larger inlet mouth against the stock turbo hole......Pure and MST V2 are the exact same size. Seems like some people are having success with the Pure at picking up some small MAF gains

It seems to me that having the inlet be slightly larger than the mouth of the turbo then that would give the turbo the most access to air. You're saying that the turbo would suck more air with more of a vacuum through a pipe the size of the opening that then gets larger?
Yeah, i wish we had measurements of the "turbo hole" as you put it - the smallest diameter point where the air enters the turbo. I think your guess is probably right that the stock inlet is the same ID as that point. I think this is probably a key reason throwing a bigger turbo inlet pipe on doesnt net huge gains for a stock turbo, but is certainly worth it for an aftermarket turbo that has a larger "turbo hole".

I think you are right about Pure and MST V2, but do confirm when you get the MST.

The thing i was pointing out is that you dont really want that sudden change in diameter, so if the metal part of the inlet where it slides into the turbo is a larger ID than the "turbo hole" you have a abrupt change in diameter and the air going to be hitting that "lip" which is not great for airflow (not a smooth transition at all as the air at the outside is basically hitting a wall perpendicular to air flow). So I guess what i am saying is it might be better to use the MST stock turbo metal piece and not the hybrid turbo one (for stock turbo), if the hybrid one will cause that sudden change in diameter. In this case the airflow would smoothly transition from the larger diameter at the the top of the MST where it connects to the intake, down to the size of the "turbo hole".

By this same logic the MST with stock turbo metal piece should result in cleaner airflow into the turbo than say Pure, if the ID of the pure at the bottom where it goes into the turbo is bigger than the "turbo hole", which is likely the case since it is designed for PS2, which has a larger "turbo hole".
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #127
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

This is correct. It easily seen on their web page when you compare them both.
      05-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #128
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Figured i would go ahead and bump this thread with the new option we just found out about from BMS. I vaguely recall it mentioned before, not sure if in this thread, but it was not out for N55 F chassis at the time. Here it is:

https://www.burgertuning.com/product...w-intake-inlet

If anyone buys/installs, please post up!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #129
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
https://vadersolution.com/products/vs-n55-inlet-upgrade

Is that the one you are talking about? It looks quite short compared to the VRSF and other similar options... It doesnt even specifically say it will work with stock inlet cut to fit. More of a DIY.
Vader
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #130
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Vader
That may work for some older N55s but that wont work for mine. The pipe isnt long enough to clear the motor and the fan. Also no CCV hose connection
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #131
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That may work for some older N55s but that wont work for mine. The pipe isnt long enough to clear the motor and the fan. Also no CCV hose connection
Yup, and the shape is not correct at all for F3x N55 turbo to intake connection; its not just a elbow its very much curved/turned.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #132
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Are you guys logging the before and after? I just want to see if you can actually hold more boost, or lower the WGDC
Appreciate 1