F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Negative camber recommendations
Extreme Powerhouse

12-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
jonathanvictory
Hi!
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP, F15 X5e

Negative camber recommendations

Hi. This is mainly in regards to autocross with an occasional road course. Within the factory range, is it possible to get a good enough negative camber for autocross without having to swap or upgrade hardware? My friend is going to help me out at his alignment shop so I figured I'd take the offer.

If this is possible, what numbers should I have him try to dial my alignment to? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanvictory View Post
Within the factory range, is it possible to get a good enough negative camber for autocross without having to swap or upgrade hardware?
This isn't possible on the front (there's no adjustability built in). In the rear there's lots of adjustability, but it's not that helpful without the front. For the front you can get camber plates or eccentric bushings for the LCAs. No HW swap is required for the rear.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
jonathanvictory
Hi!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
This isn't possible on the front (there's no adjustability built in). In the rear there's lots of adjustability, but it's not that helpful without the front. For the front you can get camber plates or eccentric bushings for the LCAs. No HW swap is required for the rear.
Thanks! I've watched a lot of your vids and read lots of your posts, can you suggest the best inexpensive solution then for the front? For the rear though, what number(s) would you recommend? Looking for a nice balance, but more towards grip. I'm on H&R Sport springs all around and a Turner front strut bar. Tires are MPS4S. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

No is the short answer to your question. When I ran in stock class, the best I could do up front was -0.8 degrees of camber. rear camber was not a problem, you can easily get -2 degrees in the back.

what size of tire do you plan on running? PS4S is a good tire but it will not heat up fast enough for autox...not even in Cali! You can still use them and have fun but it won't be the quickest.

The wider tire you run the less camber you will need. just to give you a base line, I typically run my car in STU (Street Touring Ultra in SCCA classing) and for autox i am around -2.3 in the back and -2.9 up front. That's only using camber plates up front. The car is on a 265 wide tire in all corners. I'm lowered about an inch and judging by feel -2.9 is not enough for the front and -2.3 is too much for the rear. Bare in mind that i'm xdrive with an inline 6 so my battle with weight management and traction is a bit of a challenge when aiming to remain in my class.

Having said all that, you are in a lighter RWD car that has AFAIK better balance and weight management characteristics than the 335 xdrive so you may not require as much camber.

I would recommend camber plates for front camber. That in my experience is the easiest way to achieve camber effectively and most of them will get you between -2.5 and -3 degrees. I've tried the offset KMAC bushings in the control arms and they work well but they are more challenging to adjust between autox runs because you have to remove the wheel to get tools in there etc. it is somewhat inconvenient.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
jonathanvictory
Hi!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
No is the short answer to your question. When I ran in stock class, the best I could do up front was -0.8 degrees of camber. rear camber was not a problem, you can easily get -2 degrees in the back.

what size of tire do you plan on running? PS4S is a good tire but it will not heat up fast enough for autox...not even in Cali! You can still use them and have fun but it won't be the quickest.

The wider tire you run the less camber you will need. just to give you a base line, I typically run my car in STU (Street Touring Ultra in SCCA classing) and for autox i am around -2.3 in the back and -2.9 up front. That's only using camber plates up front. The car is on a 265 wide tire in all corners. I'm lowered about an inch and judging by feel -2.9 is not enough for the front and -2.3 is too much for the rear. Bare in mind that i'm xdrive with an inline 6 so my battle with weight management and traction is a bit of a challenge when aiming to remain in my class.

Having said all that, you are in a lighter RWD car that has AFAIK better balance and weight management characteristics than the 335 xdrive so you may not require as much camber.

I would recommend camber plates for front camber. That in my experience is the easiest way to achieve camber effectively and most of them will get you between -2.5 and -3 degrees. I've tried the offset KMAC bushings in the control arms and they work well but they are more challenging to adjust between autox runs because you have to remove the wheel to get tools in there etc. it is somewhat inconvenient.
Thanks for the great info. My tire size is 255/35r18. Soon my PS4S will be done and will be looking into treadwear between 100-200.

I just bought TC Kline front camber plates off a forum member today to help with front adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I've watched a lot of your vids and read lots of your posts, can you suggest the best inexpensive solution then for the front? For the rear though, what number(s) would you recommend? Looking for a nice balance, but more towards grip. I'm on H&R Sport springs all around and a Turner front strut bar. Tires are MPS4S. Thanks.
Camber plates are your best bet.

As for alignment numbers, try somewhere in the range of -2.5 to -3deg camber, 8deg of caster (if you can), 0.03deg toe in each side for the fronts. For the rears start with -1.8 to -2deg camber, and 0.05 to 0.08deg toe in each side.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #7
jonathanvictory
Hi!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Camber plates are your best bet.

As for alignment numbers, try somewhere in the range of -2.5 to -3deg camber, 8deg of caster (if you can), 0.03deg toe in each side for the fronts. For the rears start with -1.8 to -2deg camber, and 0.05 to 0.08deg toe in each side.
Awesome! I'll give those a shot once I get the front camber plates on in the coming weeks. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Thanks for the great info. My tire size is 255/35r18. Soon my PS4S will be done and will be looking into treadwear between 100-200.

I just bought TC Kline front camber plates off a forum member today to help with front adjustment.
You're welcome! that's a good size. It will be more fun when you step into the < 200 tread wear tires.

Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0