F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3: CANBus Expansion Board - Rev1 Preview
Extreme Powerhouse

11-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3: CANBus Expansion Board - Rev1 Preview

Hey guys, for those of you not following us on social media we wanted to show you a render of the bootmod3 board undergoing firmware development. This board measures just 80mm by 50mm and already packs a heavy punch!

Board currently has multiple inputs (frequency and analog) and features CANBus integration and WiFi/BT for configurability. Rev2 of the board will also feature various outputs for activating/deactivating external aux systems (e.g. port injection, nitrous, etc), tuning it via tables integrated in the new bootmod3 editor.

Purpose of this board is to expand I/O capabilities of the factory engine computer (DME) and allow it to integrate with external sensors not already available on these cars (e.g. flex fuel sensor, meth flow/level sensor, port injection fuel injector duty, etc) and provide that data over CANBus to the DME for various tuning strategies. Any 3rd party products that support similar CANBus integration are also supported by bootmod3 (e.g. Zeitronix CANBus ECA2 flex sensor kit, etc). Integrating meth flow/tank level sensor data is a nice one and will allow for similar tuning strategies and failsafes as with flex fuel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

This is huge! Awesome work!!!

How will it physically connect to the car?
      11-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Once you guys announced the tables and tuning by switch of a button, something like this definitely popped into my head. Nice work!

I suppose now with flex fuel sensors and methods level sensors, a signal with this board could switch the cars tuning table to something else as a fail safe? Eg. Meth level in the tank is below X, so switch to a tune without the extra fueling to prevent the engine exploding, etc? That would definitely make meth a much better option than a HPFP for extra fueling.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0