F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - the tire the car should have come with
Studio RSR

06-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - the tire the car should have come with

So after about 35k miles on the conti run flats, they hit the wear bars on my sportline 328. Decided I had just about enough of the run flats, and wanted to use go flats, and I've always loved the pilot sport line. Costco was running a Michelin sale, so I had them put on at Costco (which uses Coats mouting and balancing machines, if anyone is wondering), and then an alignment at the dealer with a coupon (who would have thought you could get an alignment at the dealer for $130...).

Lets just say that now being out of the break in period, these are the tires that should have come with the car. Absolute night and day difference that the Contis. Much much quieter, much smoother feeling, better grip, steering response is better (no more center wheel dead spot), and honestly, I can't think of a driving dynamic that hasn't improved for the better (not to mention they look better on the car too). Why BMW is insisting on these run-flats is beyond me, especially considering the fact that people would probably have a higher level of satisfaction with their cars with tires like these. There were honestly times driving at 75-80 on some of the highways around NJ and PA where the road noise was so loud, I would have to sometimes shout to my wife in the passenger seat for her to hear me over the road noise.

So if anyone is considering dropping the run flats for a go flat, I'd recommend going with these.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am thinking of going non-RFTs too. I did that with my E90 as well. My car feels very bouncy/wobbly so I started a couple of threads suspecting that it could be RFTs. In fact, I just dropped by car at the dealer today morning to have them inspect the bouncy/wobbly feel.

Here are the threads:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1137129
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1134936

Did your ride feel bouncy/wobbly and not very well planted as well with the RFTs? I have 19'inch wheels. If I go towards the non-RFT route, I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I'm even thinking to trade-in my current RFTs with only 8K miles at Discount Tire. They are only offering me $300 so I'm trying to negotiate with them to see if they can raise the price.

You are right, the RFTs make the ride harsh and less planted. On one hand they do offer some benefits but on the flip side it is actually unsafe to have a car that doesn't feel right on the road.
2009 BMW 328i

Last edited by buckybadger; 06-18-2015 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
I am thinking of going non-RFTs too. I did that with my E90 as well. My car feels very bouncy/wobbly so I started a couple of threads suspecting that it could be RFTs. In fact, I just dropped by car at the dealer today morning to have them inspect the bouncy/wobbly feel.

Here are the threads:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1137129
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1134936

Did your ride feel bouncy/wobbly and not very well planted as well with the RFTs? I have 19'inch wheels. If I got the non-RFT route, I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I'm even thinking to trade-in my current RFT with only 8K miles at Discount Tire. They are only offering me $300 so I'm trying to negotiate with them to see if they can raise the price.

You are right, the RFT make the ride harsh and less planted. On one hand they do offer some benefits but on the flip side it is actually unsafe to have a car that doesn't feel right on the road.
That is a generous offer for used tires from Americas Tire. I would take it. Usually, they offer only $40 a tire, even if it's almost brand new (tried to trade in 9k mile Michelin Primacy's and 200 mile Goodyear Assurance's).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
So after about 35k miles on the conti run flats, they hit the wear bars on my sportline 328. Decided I had just about enough of the run flats, and wanted to use go flats, and I've always loved the pilot sport line. Costco was running a Michelin sale, so I had them put on at Costco (which uses Coats mouting and balancing machines, if anyone is wondering), and then an alignment at the dealer with a coupon (who would have thought you could get an alignment at the dealer for $130...).

Lets just say that now being out of the break in period, these are the tires that should have come with the car. Absolute night and day difference that the Contis. Much much quieter, much smoother feeling, better grip, steering response is better (no more center wheel dead spot), and honestly, I can't think of a driving dynamic that hasn't improved for the better (not to mention they look better on the car too). Why BMW is insisting on these run-flats is beyond me, especially considering the fact that people would probably have a higher level of satisfaction with their cars with tires like these. There were honestly times driving at 75-80 on some of the highways around NJ and PA where the road noise was so loud, I would have to sometimes shout to my wife in the passenger seat for her to hear me over the road noise.

So if anyone is considering dropping the run flats for a go flat, I'd recommend going with these.
I have these tires combined with 19" square lightweight Apex set. Huge upgrade to the handling, braking, noise, and ride of the car.

Now with about 1500 miles, I am amazed at the turn in rate of the car.

I thought the tires would improve feel, but the electric steering still sucks and the tires haven't done anything to improve it.

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is tread life - people don't seem to get more than 10k-15k out of these tires.
      06-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post

Did your ride feel bouncy/wobbly and not very well planted as well with the RFTs?
I did notice the wobbly feeling with the run flats...and that's now gone with the new tires. I feel much more planted on the ground, and even cornering I feel much more confident in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
The only thing I'm kind of worried about is tread life - people don't seem to get more than 10k-15k out of these tires.
I had them on my G35 before I traded it in. Got about 15k before I traded it in, but the treadwear was minimal...I have no belief I won't get 40k out of these.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

The reason why BMW is using RFT is because the general public doesnt know how to take care of a vehicle so the RFT aids them in case they do get a flat. Also I could not agree with you more on the A/S 3's. I got them installed on my 435i at 22k and I'm now at 25k .
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Went with same (A/S 3) within first 1500 miles. Mostly due to harsh ride, but also was unsure of how the Conti RFTs would do in the little bit of snow we get here. Very happy with their grip in bad weather and handling / cornering in good. Less road noise, too.

Will put the Conti's back on when closer to lease end.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
The reason why BMW is using RFT is because the general public doesnt know how to take care of a vehicle so the RFT aids them in case they do get a flat.
Yes, in the event somebody runs over a nail or something, they do provide a benefit. But, and that's a very big but, the real reason is money (profit) resulting from the elimination of a spare, jack and lug wrench. That and the hope you will stop by the dealer and spend $150 for an inflator kit. The least they could have done is leave the spare tire storage spot in the trunk for those that want a spare but, no, they decided to reconfigure it so it's impossible to put a spare in there.

BMW isn't alone in this, almost all manufacturers are now engaged in this BS. The most common stated reason for eliminating the spare is that it "saves gas" - really? I'm sure the "savings" that result from less vehicle weight are almost impossible to calculate.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

How is the comfort on this tire? How is the noise level? I'm looking at these tires for my 320i. Switching out of the pirelli cinturato P7.
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Quote:

I have these tires combined with 19" square lightweight Apex set. Huge upgrade to the handling, braking, noise, and ride of the car.

I thought the tires would improve feel, but the electric steering still sucks and the tires haven't done anything to improve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Quote:

Which apex wheels did you go with and specs? How's the fit? Are you lowered?
      09-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
turnbr
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i MPE

The 340i with m performance comes with the 20" run flats. What are people replacing those with? And can I go with 18s or 19s for a winter setup?
Thank you
Appreciate 0