F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust flap rattle after exhaust install
Extreme Powerhouse

07-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #23
realmnm
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 xDrive - Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1f30 View Post
Late to the party, but just thought I'd share some additional info since the exact same thing just happened to me. The angled part of the fixing bow needs to rest in the groove attached to the butterfly valve. The straight part, opposite side, rests in the groove on the actuator. This is because the valve groove and actuator are not exactly parallel. I couldn't get it to fit exactly while installing, so I aligned the bow to the butterfly valve first, then let the actuator "catch" it when it turns by starting the vehicle. Hope that helps anyone else that may come across this issue down the road.
Thanks for the tip. This worked perfectly. I must of spent 30 min trying to thread the bow into the groove before I realized you can push it in.

Fyi, for anyone in Toronto who has this issue. It was $10 at BMW Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:41 AM   #24
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Want to add to this thread something that i got from another thread that would have saved me 20 mins. The arms of the bow were not anywhere close to lining up. The actuator is open or closed. The goal is to get it half way between. This was achieved by turning car on without starting engine to open the actuator. (Watch your fingers while it moves if you are having someone help). Start the car and quickly plug in actuator for half of a second then unplug. Plug in just enough to get electric to it. With the actuator unbolted, there is enough wire so it can hang down below car enough. Hopefully actuator landed in the middle and pin should go right in. Don't breath in too many fumes.

Edit turn car off soon as the actuator moves a tad. Figure I better add this disclaimer :
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #25
Kobajagi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
Hey. By rattle do you mean like literally a constant rattle at startup? I have the same exact sound and it actually isn’t opening anymore while in sport. I’ve noticed my burbles are less loud and I have no drone at high gears like I used to. Let me know please. This is frustrating for me
I have the same issue as you, did you end up solving this? sound persists even in sport mode (flap open).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #26
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavanv View Post
I have the same issue as you, did you end up solving this? sound persists even in sport mode (flap open).
Yes sir way back then it was the valve clip mentioned in the thread
      08-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #27
Kobajagi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
Yes sir way back then it was the valve clip mentioned in the thread
it was missing the clip? cause my clip is still there but the rattle is happening

EDIT: upon closer inspection the clip is broken and just sitting there, did the golf tee mod and all is well, ty!

Last edited by Kobajagi; 08-19-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #28
Frankreyes1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i X-Drive

Quote:
Late to the party, but just thought I'd share some additional info since the exact same thing just happened to me. The angled part of the fixing bow needs to rest in the groove attached to the butterfly valve. The straight part, opposite side, rests in the groove on the actuator. This is because the valve groove and actuator are not exactly parallel. I couldn't get it to fit exactly while installing, so I aligned the bow to the butterfly valve first, then let the actuator "catch" it when it turns by starting the vehicle. Hope that helps anyone else that may come across this issue down the road.
Hey ad1f30,

You're have the right sides aligned. However, the valve groove and actuator will become parallel when the actuator turns.
I installed this clip with pliers. I turn the car on, put it in sports mode and when the actuator turns, the other side of the clip clicks in. It may take a few tries.
See attached photo for the proper installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #29
cartergopher
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Quote:
This was super helpful. I couldn't get the pins in both grooves. Left the pin resting on the actuator, started up my car and eureka! Thanks you!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #30
willskillz
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black 2015 328i

Quote:
Worked like a charm! I spent an hour yesterday fighting with it before I read your post.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #31
Kid_droid
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F32 428i M sport

Thanks for this.

I think I am going to give this a second go. I have had this part in my glove box for a whole year now. Because of the hour of my life it took last year

I ended using a coat hanger to tie one side and kept the values open. Bush mechanic I know haha
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #32
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Quote:
Just used these instructions to fix my exhaust rattle this morning. Appreciate it!

One thing I'll add to the above instructions is if you loosen the 3 10mm bolts on the actuator, it's much easier to get the fixing bow into place. I loosened the 3 bolts, put the fixing bow onto the butterfly valve and as close as possible to the actuator groove, then tightened everything back up before starting the car to have the actuator "catch" the fixing bow putting it into place.

Last edited by rcaso26; 09-14-2020 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: adding installation instructions
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #33
Zesus_Walks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435 xi 2015 MII

I struggled mightily with replacing this spring or fixing bow. The "catching trick" suggested by an earlier user did not work for me and was frustrating constantly placing the spring in position and removing/adding bolts hoping for it to catch, only to hear it ring against the concrete as it falls out. The grooves on the flapper valve on the exhaust do not line up with the actuator in the closed position. Turn the car on and change it to sport mode to move the actuator into the open position, while making sure the area is adequately ventilated. Then remove the 3 bolts (10 mm socket) and the spring should fit in a lot easier now in the open position. Place the spring first in the flapper side (long looped side of the spring) and maneuver the actuator piece groove over the spring. Once the spring is somewhat in the groove, begin to compress and jiggle the actuator piece with hand to fully place the spring and place the actuator into position to bolt on. Cheers and good luck with your repairs.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #34
drewkelly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive, 2017 X5

This picture was a huge help...thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #35
harmanonline85
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFerr30 View Post
After months of searching, Thank the powers that be that I found this thread. I ordered my fixing bow! That noise on start up was driving me CRAZY . I parked further away then i usually do at work just so less people would notice my broken sounding car.
LOL.. It was really that loud from the loose flap?

Mike
I know its little late…but it could still help someone.. part no is 18307620323 and is called fixing bow
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #36
cheiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328I x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdiy View Post
Just can't get the bow into the slots. I even tried loosening the 10 mm bolds to push the actuator out a little, but since the grooves on the valve and the actuator are not parallel, I couldn't align them.

Are the grooves supposed to be parallel? Does the actuator actually rotate?

P.S: Newbie here (learned and used a torque wrench for the first time today )

I ended up having to remove the actuator and taking a pair of locking pliers to forcefully move the notch. Not sure if I risked damaging the actuator but everything seems to be working now. I was prepared to purchase a new actuator but decided to try this first.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #37
dropinvancouver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Thank you so much for the instructions. It worked for me.
Though I need to try 3 times before it catches instead of jump out and do it again.
But that is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #38
viktorhanacek
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: X6M

Guys I have this crazy problem: my fixing bow is okay, but sometimes my left actuator is loose on morning starts (wtf?!).

I switched actuators side by side, I have a new rixing bow, I tried to bend the fixing bow to create higher tension in closed position and still 1 from 3 morning starts the flap actuator (and flap) is loose.

But when I switch sport mode to open the flap and then switch to normal to close the flap, everything is normal and actuator (and flap) is no longer loose.

Loosing my mind on this

Last edited by viktorhanacek; 10-25-2021 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #39
ThatKasper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

OK...multiple mentions of a "golf tee mod" but nobody is explaining it?!? I'm traveling for the holidays & need a temp fix until I can get the part a couple of days from now & don't want that rattle...not even sure it's good to drive it as-is for a couple of days.
2016 X5M - Long Beach Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:26 PM   #40
m3gal0l
Registered
Rep
Drives: M140i

SGooch and ad1f30: you are both correct, this turned out to be the way to install it. Fiddly AF, but when it clicked into place upon startup, was most satisfying!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:06 PM   #41
Taylorsi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Notice the butterfly was wired open on my 328i, bought the clip and installed but noticed the actuator doesn't move. It makes a grinding noise when the car is started or if attempting to switch butterfly position in bimmerlink. Read somewhere this might mean the actuator is out of range, but the option in ISTA to set home position is greyed out.

Has anyone ran into the noisy/no movement actuator and able to solve it? I'd rather not pay ~$130 for a new one if there is some trick I missed.
Appreciate 0