F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW EGR recall and software update
GetBMWParts

07-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
Bodygard
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

BMW EGR recall and software update

Hello people

I'm seeking some advice about what to do next.
My car, bmw 420d 2015 (diesel 2.0) had a recall that comprises 3 actions:
egr valve change, egr radiator change, module software update.

I left the car in the dealer but warned them that it has 6WB installed and coded. They did the work but about the software updates they say they can't do it because they need the original cluster 6WA. But i don't have it, i bought the car used.
So they say the car can work with the new EGR valve and radiator but the software update in the modules (they would be updating the integration level in all modules right?) will not be performed.

Can this impact the car in terms of normal functioning? Can i ask someone to do this, these module updates later? Or do it myself if i learn it. I thought they could only update the EGR module in the DME and leave the others alone but they say they can't do partial updates...??

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

The software update is not necessary and the car will get no problems because of that.
But for calming you can do the software update yourself or you search a coder close to you who can do this.
For the software update E-Sys and the (big) full psdzdata are necessary.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
Bodygard
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
The software update is not necessary and the car will get no problems because of that.
But for calming you can do the software update yourself or you search a coder close to you who can do this.
For the software update E-Sys and the (big) full psdzdata are necessary.
Thanks a lot. Already have those apps and files, Shawn gratefully sent me. Will familiarize myself with coding flashing FDL/FA/VO with Esys and then will update it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodygard View Post
Hello people

I'm seeking some advice about what to do next.
My car, bmw 420d 2015 (diesel 2.0) had a recall that comprises 3 actions:
egr valve change, egr radiator change, module software update.

I left the car in the dealer but warned them that it has 6WB installed and coded. They did the work but about the software updates they say they can't do it because they need the original cluster 6WA. But i don't have it, i bought the car used.
So they say the car can work with the new EGR valve and radiator but the software update in the modules (they would be updating the integration level in all modules right?) will not be performed.

Can this impact the car in terms of normal functioning? Can i ask someone to do this, these module updates later? Or do it myself if i learn it. I thought they could only update the EGR module in the DME and leave the others alone but they say they can't do partial updates...??

Thanks a lot.
Why do you need to update your software? You should just be able to swap your egr valve and cooler and drive away.

By the way, changing the EGR valve is like a 20 minute job that requires a security torx wrench, flat head, and hose clamps or vice grips (To pinch coolant hose). Honestly it couldn't be easier access. Dealer wanted $600 for egr valve job only. I bought it for $230 online and took 15 minutes to get out. Dealership is such a rip off.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Bodygard
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Why do you need to update your software? You should just be able to swap your egr valve and cooler and drive away.

By the way, changing the EGR valve is like a 20 minute job that requires a security torx wrench, flat head, and hose clamps or vice grips (To pinch coolant hose). Honestly it couldn't be easier access. Dealer wanted $600 for egr valve job only. I bought it for $230 online and took 15 minutes to get out. Dealership is such a rip off.
I didn't pay a cent. It's done under warranty despite the car having 6 yrs old. It was about those BMW that caught fire and burned to the ground.

It's because of legislation. I have to take the car to inspection next month and they're gonna check if the recalls were made. One of the recalls includes a software update (because of the EGR recall) and without it the car can fail the inspection (although it drives perfectly fine) and not be allowed to be driven in public roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodygard View Post
Quote:

I didn't pay a cent. It's done under warranty despite the car having 6 yrs old. It was about those BMW that caught fire and burned to the ground.

It's because of legislation. I have to take the car to inspection next month and they're gonna check if the recalls were made. One of the recalls includes a software update (because of the EGR recall) and without it the car can fail the inspection (although it drives perfectly fine) and not be allowed to be driven in public roads.
Is your car still under warranty? Low miles maybe…? Mine has 107k. Egr is not under warranty but egr cooler is. How'd you get it replaced under warranty? Any documentation?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Is your car still under warranty? Low miles maybe…? Mine has 107k. Egr is not under warranty but egr cooler is. How'd you get it replaced under warranty? Any documentation?
He said it's a recall...try googling to see if it pops up. BMW should have sent a letter or something like they always do for recalls
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
Bodygard
Portugal
Rep

The recall it's BMW's responsability so the owner doesn't pay a cent. I've received a message in idrive to take the car to the closest dealer so the recalls were made.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #9
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthecan View Post
Quote:
He said it's a recall...try googling to see if it pops up. BMW should have sent a letter or something like they always do for recalls
I have and there's nothing on the egr valve itself. In fact there are posts about it on here or bimmerfest. My car was just in the dealer. Only egr cooler, NO2 sensors, cv joint, and transfer case are covered under warranty. The EGR valve itself is not covered. However, my understanding is that the egr valve comes with the EGR cooler. So if you need an egr cooler, they will replace the egr valve under warranty as well. Maybe thats what happened for you. On realoem, pretty sure it says valve comes with cooler.
Appreciate 0