F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bluetooth/USB Doesn't Play Media
proTUNING Freaks

07-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Question Bluetooth/USB Doesn't Play Media

Just purchased a 2018 440i from the dealer, everything looked okay except the bluetooth and USB media functionality. Bluetooth connects to my phone and other phones and will allow for bluetooth phone calls and functions, however when you open Spotify or YouTube, nothing.

I am stuck listening to FM...

What exactly happens is after my phone connects to the car, I select "media" and the different modes come up (satellite, USB, am, fm, ***'s iPhone) and I select my iPhone, the menu then goes to where the usual song name and artist page is but says "No bluetooth/phone connected". This is a seemingly unbreakable cycle as I have tried with many different phones.

When trying to use the USB that is under the A/C unit, it connects no problem to my phone and begins charging... however... the car doesn't "load" the phone into media and therefore does not recognize that my phone is connected.

The dealer tried doing hard resets and still nothing, so here I am my friends.
      07-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
ashkanvafaee2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

A few ideas..

1. When initially pairing your phone with the car, it gives you the option to pair only for phone calls or to pair for calls + music. Make sure you enable both.

2. Try removing your phone profile and re-adding. Try playing songs that are saved on your phone (i.e. not from youtube/spotify). Keep in mind that you probably have to crank up the volume a good amount to hear stuff through your phone). Does the car actually say your phone is connected or are you just selecting the iphone you're trying to connect to? When playing music from your phone, does your phone say the output is to the bluetooth connection?

3. Is the idrive up to date? You can check here: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkanvafaee2 View Post
A few ideas..

1. When initially pairing your phone with the car, it gives you the option to pair only for phone calls or to pair for calls + music. Make sure you enable both.

2. Try removing your phone profile and re-adding. Try playing songs that are saved on your phone (i.e. not from youtube/spotify). Keep in mind that you probably have to crank up the volume a good amount to hear stuff through your phone). Does the car actually say your phone is connected or are you just selecting the iphone you're trying to connect to? When playing music from your phone, does your phone say the output is to the bluetooth connection?

3. Is the idrive up to date? You can check here: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
Yes, both are always selected during bluetooth connection process. I have deleted and reconnected my phone multiple times. I also very much doubt it is the volume on my phone or the car that is the issue; in fact, my ability to use the volume completely goes away. After the phone connects, the volume doesn't come up when I scroll through it.

The car and phone says connected, when I select the iPhone that I am trying to connect to it goes to the media page that says "No bluetooth device connected." The car does actually say connected to my iPhone in the media mode selection, it allows phone calls and functions but no media.

My iDrive is also up to date. I however have not tried to play downloaded music and I do believe when I press play it does show playing on BMWxxxxx. I have been reading something about a combox problem, but wouldn't know where to begin with that considering my phone connects but just doesn't play music.
      07-24-2021, 12:20 AM   #4
NoFear95
NoFear95
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Grand Coup

Mine does this maybe once every tenth time I use it. I find going into the idrive buletooth setting and turn it off and back on. Then it works like a charm. Not a permanent fix you’re looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
Izyrela
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M Performance Edition

I just starting having the same problem with my 340i. Phone is connected to Bluetooth but audio won't connect. I even tried factory resetting idrive but it didn't work. Also tried all the solutions possible.

Were you able to find a fix for this?
Appreciate 0