F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Coming from 2015 X1...considering GT
proTUNING Freaks

07-23-2021, 02:14 AM   #1
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

Coming from 2015 X1...considering GT

I currently have a 2015 X1 Sportline. This is my 2nd of the same car and I love it. But, I won't buy the Mini-version 2016+ version so I'm looking at the GT. I can't do the 4 GC because I have dogs and need something with more room in back.

Obviously, since I've had two X1's, I love them....so much. Sporty, with utility.

I'm curious about the "sportiness" of the GT. Has anyone here had a 2015 or older X1 and a GT? how does the GT compare during "spirited" driving?

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't call my GT sporty, nor would I recommend it for 'spirited' driving. It's practical, while not compromising on performance. How it compares to an X1 I can't say. I never even tested an X1, because compared to the GT it came up way short on rear legroom and cargo space, and like just about every SUV it looks like a toaster.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My perspective comes close to the background experience you are seeking, but not exact. After looking at the X1 in 2018, we bought the platform-mate Mini Countryman S which actually felt more "sporty" and responsive in its suspension tuning. I'm not sure why you automatically reject this generation of X1. Is it simply because the parent company BMWAG engineering organization found a way to share the platform between two of its brands? It would be erroneous to think of this X1 as a "Mini" version. It's a BMW UKL2 platform and powertrain, shared with two brands for each version. It's no more one than the other. The quality data for this generation has been excellent. We actually liked it so much, we bought a second identical one (except color) for a second house we had at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_UKL_platform

In any event, I love my GT, but the utility of the space will be greater in an X1 or an X3 due to vehicle shape. On more than a few occasions, I've had to work to rearrange the cargo load due to interference when the sloped liftgate tried to close, but could not.

Specifically to your question, no the GT does not have a "sporty" feel when driving. This is a fairly large car, with the longer wheelbase. I think of it as my more affordable and more versatile 5 Series. All of my enthusiastic driving is saved for my 2 Series. The GT is more a luxury and comfort-oriented experience, exactly as the "Grand Touring" name implies.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-23-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

If one of your main requirements is toting around dogs then even a smaller SUV may be a better choice. The GT has a huge back seat and the hatchback, but SUV's are taller and don't have the sloping roofline/hatchback. Our dogs fit in my 2016 GT fine, but better in my wife's SUV.

I think the GT has some sportiness for a decent size sedan, but it is a Grand Tourer. I drove a coworkers X1 once and I think it may have been a 2015. I thought it was nice enough, but she didn't care for it in the long run....she dumped it for an Outback though so she clearly wasn't looking for sportiness.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I have a GT and love it. I had an X1 as a loaner last year, and I didn't like it at all.

Just one guy's take...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
Call me the breeze
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 430i Msport

Adding sportiness

Coming from a BMW platform you know that the bones are good and that there is a ton of aftermarket parts to build on the platform dynamics. The ride is floaty and vague out of the gate so I added Bilstein struts/shocks, H&R roll bars and Michelin PS 4s and the car is completely transformed. Still smooth riding but now responsive like a BMW is intended to be. Whether it has the utility you're looking for is a personal decision.
Appreciate 0