F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Restore to default in Esys
ARMA SPEED

05-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
doctor80
Private
Rep
Drives: F30, 328 Xdrive

Restore to default in Esys

Hi guys.
I find many tutorials with Esys for coding.
One thing that I am wondering is that it would be helpful if we can have a tutorial on how to restore the car to stock settings for any particular reason (going to dealership for example).
So for instance, let's say have FA original file saved, and the SVT original file saved.

What are my steps to restore my settings with Esys?
Can someone provide step by step if possible?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The cheat sheet shows the original settings as the default. There's no reason to return them to default for the dealership. It's your car, not his.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

But still here the tutorial...

Mark the ecu
Hit the button „Code“

That‘s all
Appreciate 2
chr12.00
zrile91.00
      05-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
doctor80
Private
Rep
Drives: F30, 328 Xdrive

Understood. Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Arti71
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
But still here the tutorial...

Mark the ecu
Hit the button „Code“

That‘s all
Hi
Can I have a bit more details, please
I made some mistake and coded something what shouldn't.
I have 330e and now on CID disapire all modes for hybrid, maxdrive, save, auto, they working, but nothing appears on screen. Now I'm not sure what actually I did and what should be revert. If can you help me, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti71 View Post
Hi
Can I have a bit more details, please
I made some mistake and coded something what shouldn't.
I have 330e and now on CID disapire all modes for hybrid, maxdrive, save, auto, they working, but nothing appears on screen. Now I'm not sure what actually I did and what should be revert. If can you help me, I really appreciate it.
There are no more details.
If you hit the button "Code" (not FDL code) all settings/codings will be set to standard in relation to your cars VO.
So all your individual codings will be deleted.
However, you cannot undo individual codings if you no longer know which they were.
So only all at once.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Arti71
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There are no more details.
If you hit the button "Code" (not FDL code) all settings/codings will be set to standard in relation to your cars VO.
So all your individual codings will be deleted.
However, you cannot undo individual codings if you no longer know which they were.
So only all at once.

Hi
Thanks for quick respond
Concluding, I'm not bother about old coding, I have time now to code it again, but I would like my screen back
Can you tell me, where exactly should hit the button "code"? in which part of E-Sys is this button?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Hi
Thanks for quick respond
Concluding, I'm not bother about old coding, I have time now to code it again, but I would like my screen back
Can you tell me, where exactly should hit the button "code"? in which part of E-Sys is this button?
The button is right next to the "read coding data" button.
But NEVER push the button under there!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
Arti71
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The button is right next to the "read coding data" button.
But NEVER push the button under there!
Open E-Sys->left menu "coding"->connect with car->load FA?->activate FA->click "code" on section "coding" on bottom right hand site.

Is this correct??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Open E-Sys->left menu "coding"->connect with car->load FA?->activate FA->click "code" on section "coding" on bottom right hand site.

Is this correct??
Almost right...

Open E-Sys
-> left menu "coding"
-> connect with car
-> Read FA
-> activate FA
-> Read SVT (VCM) or Read (Ecu)
-> Mark the ecu you want to code
-> click "code" on section "coding" on bottom right hand site or at the ecu you want to code right click and "Code"
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 04:41 AM   #11
Arti71
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Almost right...

Open E-Sys
-> left menu "coding"
-> connect with car
-> Read FA
-> activate FA
-> Read SVT (VCM) or Read (Ecu)
-> Mark the ecu you want to code
-> click "code" on section "coding" on bottom right hand site or at the ecu you want to code right click and "Code"
Thank you very much
Will try today.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:32 AM   #12
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
If he messeded up, send me a PM.

I’ll check it out with teamviewer.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojti77 View Post
Hi,
I have a little nerwous college and some hours ago he informed me that he clicked exactly button "Default coding", exactly that what all know NEVER push.

What now? Did you have that issue?
No, i never had that issue, but i often read of it.
Sometimes it's enough to only code (button "Code") the ecu if you are lucky.
Sometimes this is not enough.
The only solution i know is to flash this ecu with psdzdata from the built date.
Then the ecu is responsive again and can be coded or flashed to a newer date.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #14
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Hi
Still a little confused on restoring to original if having problems
Do you Load fa from you original back up as well as loading original svt and then code for which ever module needed
I tried as mentioned previously but it doesn’t change the module to original it still says it couldn’t read the vcm or to that effect and coding error
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth695 View Post
Hi
Still a little confused on restoring to original if having problems
Do you Load fa from you original back up as well as loading original svt and then code for which ever module needed
I tried as mentioned previously but it doesn’t change the module to original it still says it couldn’t read the vcm or to that effect and coding error
Yes, you can only code the ecus to their original state with the original VO.
So if at some point something has been changed in the VO, this is taken into account when coding and the ecu is coded differently accordingly.
If you can't read the VCM you have another problem.
First you can try to Read (ECU) and then see if something changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #16
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Thanks for your reply though I’m still confused when you say if vo has changed, do you mean changed from any fdl coding you have done
So what I’m asking is when you fdl code the ecus does this change your vo?
So if it doesn’t then I should be able to just hit the code button and it should restore but it isn’t
Then if I understand you correct, I need to load my backed up fa as well as the svt or just load backed up fa and then code?
Appreciate your help

Last edited by MM2; 07-16-2021 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #17
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Also, another question
My fa original backups from previous software should be deleted correct as if I use this in error it will cause many problems
So, is it correct to say that after the car has had a dealer update, I must read and save fa and make backups and delete previous ones from old software ��
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #18
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

The VO (vehicle order) is the FA (in german Fahrzeugauftrag).
The VO/FA is a little file stored in the car (or on your computer) which includes the most information about the car like the complete equipment or engine or VIN.
The VO/FA doesn't change by FDL Coding.
To change the VO/FA you have to use the FA-Editor in E-Sys.
And if you changed the VO/FA you can decide to save it on your computer or in the car.
But if you don't know how to do this then you will never have done it and the VO / FA is still the Original on your car, which is also good.
So that your VO/FA is still Original you only need to load the VO/FA from the car and hit the button "Code" and all settings/codings will be like stock.
If your car had a dealer update you can make a backup (save it in a safe place and don't change it) of the VO/FA, the SVT_IST and all codings of all ecus.
Then you have a backup of all important settings/codings which can be used for possibly later problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #19
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Ok thank you.
So I’ve done this,
Connect, read fa, activate fa, go to coding, read and then highlight the ecu hit code.
It doesn’t restore even though I fave message at end saying all done showing no errors.
But if I browse through the actual full message I can see that it actually says there was some type of error. Suggestions please doesn’t make sense why doesn’t actually work when it appears to work.
My next step would be what, inject the cafd and this is from latest pszd?
And if that doesn’t work, flash the ecu and that is scary��
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #20
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

I would not recommend flashing because many things can go wrong.
But from what do you know that it doesn't work?
Only an error message doesn't mean that it didn't work.
And what is the error message?
Can you put the complete text in here?

You can also make a test.
FDL code something in the ecu.
For example in FEM_Body FDL_code "FH_TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT" from aktiv to nicht_aktiv or another value in another ecu.
After coding read again the coding values and check if this value is still nicht_aktiv.
And now hit the button "Code" for the FEM_Body.
After that check if the value is aktiv or nicht_aktiv.
If it's aktiv the codings were set to default and all is good.
That's only an example for the FEM_Body for testing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:57 AM   #21
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Will do many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:50 PM   #22
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Hi,
Can you make sense of the message. It seems from what I can understand the vcm is locked and or not allowing the code to factory.
I tried to inject cafd and this gives same message
Thank you

Caf's suchen
Tal wird generiert
Abarbeitung wird gestartet

Read SVT before TAL execution started.
Read SVT before TAL execution finished.

TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated. [C197]
ExecutionID=2021/07/19-10:28:31.943
[] prepareTALExecution started [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=LMV_19_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=LMV_19_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=MRR_21_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=MRR_21_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=SRR_2A_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=SRR_2A_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=EPS_30_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=EPS_30_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=SRR_08_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=36900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_ADS - ReadDataByIdentifier ActiveDiagnosticSession, description=error: timeout, link=SRR_08_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=346900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_RASS - ReadDataByIdentifier ReadActiveSessionState, description=error: timeout, link=KAFAS4_5D_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
MCDDiagService<id=346900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_PrepareTALExecut ion, service=RDBI_RASS - ReadDataByIdentifier ReadActiveSessionState, description=error: timeout, link=KAFAS4_5D_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[] prepareTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]
[] prepareVehicleForCoding started [PROGRESS]
[] prepareVehicleForCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] prepareECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] prepareECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] authenticateECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] authenticateECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39 - cafd_00003d78-007_017_000] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started [TRANSACTION]
MCDDiagService<id=62651, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_PerformECUCoding, service=WDBI_PLAIN - WriteDataByIdentifier with unlimited Data-ID (plain hex value), description=error: negative response : securityAccessDenied, link=DSC_VIP_IB4_39_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[] job failed with negative response error:
code: repeat job
description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code securityAccessDenied; LinkName: DSC_VIP_IB4_39_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR
[THROWABLE]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39 - cafd_00003d78-007_017_000] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished [TRANSACTION]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] -MessageID is used multiple times, so MessageText may be ambiguous-job failed with negative response error:
description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code securityAccessDenied; LinkName: DSC_VIP_IB4_39_ETHERNET
[WARN]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] - [Exception - DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] job failed with negative response error:

[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] prepareECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]
MCDDiagService<id=230634, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_PrepareECUforCoding , service=DSC - DiagnosticSessionControl, description=error: negative response : conditionsNotCorrect, link=DSC_VIP_IB4_39_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] prepareECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] authenticateECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] ECU Authentication error: seed empty or not available [PROGRESS]
[] ECU Authentication error: seed empty or not available [THROWABLE]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] - [Exception - DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] ECU Authentication error: seed empty or not available
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] finalizeECUCoding started [PROGRESS]
[DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] finalizeECUCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[] There was an error, please check the log files. [WARN]
[] - [Exception - DSC_VIP_IB4 - 39] ECU Authentication error: seed empty or not available
[] finalizeVehicleCoding started [PROGRESS]
[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished [PROGRESS]
[] finalizeTALExecution started [PROGRESS]
[] finalizeTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]
TAL execution finished [TAL_EXECUTION_FINISHED]
TAL-Execution finished with status: "FinishedWithError". [C207]
TAL execution finished. Duration: "35s". [C206]

Read SVT after TAL execution started.
Read SVT after TAL execution finished.
Abarbeitung beendet
Transaktions-Report: Aktion: Codieren

DSC_VIP_IB4 [39]