F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension issues per dealer
Studio RSR

05-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
the_man_in_blue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's blue.

Suspension issues per dealer

I hit something a great while back, and it put a hole in my EPS motor. I put a new one in, and took it to the dealer to get coded. They couldn't do it. Fast forward to recently, I had a different and correct rack put in, and coded. This is the service comments from the first time that I now want to address:

H FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM WORN. ADVISE TO REPLACE BOTH FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INSPECTED VEHICLE, FOUND THAT ELECTRIC
POWER STEERING NOT CALIBRATING CORRECTLY.
PERFORM INSPECTION, AND FOUND THAT
STEERING WHEEL IS OFF CENTER AND VEHICLE
HAS AFTER MARKET SUSPENSION THAT IS NOT
INSTALLED CORRECTLY TO VEHICLE SWAY BAR
LINKAGE. ADVISE CUSTOMER TO REPLACE BOTH
FRONT SPRING AND STRUT WITH TOP MOUNT. WILL
RE CHECK STEERING ANGLE SENSOR CALIBRATION
AFTER INSTALLING OEM SUSPENSION COMPONENT.
PARTS QUOTE: FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT SPRING,
STRUT, TOP MOUNT, BOLTS AND NUTS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The control bushings, at 61k miles, normal wear and tear? I'll knock these out myself for $120 with OEM parts it looks like. Unless there are better aftermarket bushings that still give me a quality ride. What should I go with here?

The 2nd issue, a bit more concerning, is that somehow my Bilstein B8s and H&R sports are not installed correctly? I've swapped over a handful of springs/struts over the years and don't think I've ever messed up. I've been under my car more than a few times after this change and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.
What am I missing here?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
At 61k your wishbone/LCA bushings could be worn. That's reasonable. The only aftermarket thing worth getting here are monoballs, but they're quite a bit more expensive.

As for your suspension being incorrectly installed. I wouldn't trust the dealer notes and verify yourself, or get confirmation from the dealer exactly what they meant.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

I put in the race powerflex bushings in the thrust and control arms...I just checked them a few days ago and they are still holding up to the abuse I am putting them through.

if you want to do it once, do it right and do not care for experimentation...you can get monoballs for the thrust arms.

is your suspension making any noise?
Appreciate 0