F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone else have their TMAP sensor die as a result of a CP failure?
Studio RSR

07-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #23
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

So I grounded the yellow/black wire from the TMAP harness and...no change. Same codes. Not sure what my next step would be other than taking it in to the dealership....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #24
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Ok. When I grounded the tmap harness, the "drivetrain malfunction" message immediately went away as soon as I turned on the car. But the CEL will stay unless you CLEAR it. Did you clear it with the software tool you have? Before grounding, the car would not let me clear the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
Ok. When I grounded the tmap harness, the "drivetrain malfunction" message immediately went away as soon as I turned on the car. But the CEL will stay unless you CLEAR it. Did you clear it with the software tool you have? Before grounding, the car would not let me clear the CEL.
Yep. Cleared, codes immediately reappear. Even cleared twice...lol...but no change. Sigh....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
There's 2 TMAPs, pre throttle and manifold. Maybe the other one was damaged? Use your original or replacement one and see if the code sticks when you change the other
Yep, tried this earlier in the week. It appears that all 3 TMAP sensors I have (1 new one) are functional as I have rotated all 3 through the 2 possible locations - CP and manifold - with no change in error codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #27
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Well...unless you have ISTA in your toolbox, it can tell you exactly where to look. Sometimes you gotta throw in the towel and take it to the dealer. Good luck man. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #28
JRam24
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Estoril Blue M-Sport

Garage List
So, not sure if this will help but when I did my mhd flash this happened to me. The culprit was in my sub settings for the map where it gives the option to select 3.5bar (n20) sensor. I selected by mistake without having the upgraded 3.5 bar tmap sensor. Went in reflashed st1 map without that selected and it was immediately cleared/fixed. Check and see if you have that selected if you haven’t upgraded to the 3.5 bar tmap sensors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #29
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRam24 View Post
So, not sure if this will help but when I did my mhd flash this happened to me. The culprit was in my sub settings for the map where it gives the option to select 3.5bar (n20) sensor. I selected by mistake without having the upgraded 3.5 bar tmap sensor. Went in reflashed st1 map without that selected and it was immediately cleared/fixed. Check and see if you have that selected if you haven’t upgraded to the 3.5 bar tmap sensors.
That's a really great point! But, alas, not selected. Still got dem damn codes...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #30
JRam24
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Estoril Blue M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ask View Post
That's a really great point! But, alas, not selected. Still got dem damn codes...

Well dang, I was hoping. Might have to bite the bullet and take it in to the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #31
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep

Followup:

The issue was that the wire harness from the TMAP sensor in the CP to the ECU had been pulled out of the ECU, thus no signal was being sent. When the CP blew it also dislodged the harness from the intensity of the "explosion" that occurred when the CP blew apart. Indy shop rewired the harness and I am now good to go!
Appreciate 1
_bdiddyb_215.00
      09-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #32
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Followup:

The issue was that the wire harness from the TMAP sensor in the CP to the ECU had been pulled out of the ECU, thus no signal was being sent. When the CP blew it also dislodged the harness from the intensity of the "explosion" that occurred when the CP blew apart. Indy shop rewired the harness and I am now good to go!
Wow that must have been pretty violent when it popped off to do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #33
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Wow that must have been pretty violent when it popped off to do that.
It damn sure was loud!! My initial 50 millisecond thought was a blown tire, then the loss of power told me otherwise. The CP didn't just crack, it shattered...the top 2 inches of pipe were gone. The old harness was fairly short, enough so that the end result is not surprising.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #34
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Update - Replaced the TMAP sensor in the CP and it had zero effect - same three codes still pop up. If I assume the new TMAP sensor is good, then I am left with trying to diagnose connectivity between the TMAP harness and the DME. Any ideas on how to do this?
I also switched the TMAp sensor in the CP with the MAP sensor in the intake manifold as they are the same part number; no change in codes so then I can assume that both sensors are good and the issue lies elsewhere.
Any advice on what to do at this point?
I think I recall a procedure in my Bentley manual for troubleshooting between DME and TMAP. Unfortunately traveling right now so don't have access to it or I'd send it to you
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #35
Just Ask
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I think I recall a procedure in my Bentley manual for troubleshooting between DME and TMAP. Unfortunately traveling right now so don't have access to it or I'd send it to you
Got it fixed...check my last few posts. Thanks nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #36
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
What page is it on? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #37
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
Quote:
What page is it on? TIA.
Don't remember, that post was over a year ago. If you have a Bentley manual read through it for great information.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 03:19 AM   #38
axeleli65
Registered
Rep
Drives: GLI

I tested continuity by grounding the black/yellow TMAP wire to four different points on the frame...none. In addition, I checked for voltage by running a multimeter between the black/yellow TMAP wire and the positive terminal in the engine bay...zero voltage. After disconnecting the TMAP harness, I used MHD to clear and read the newly generated codes. There are the same codes regardless of whether I have the TMAP harness plugged in, so it appears to be a wiring issue. Would it be good to ground the black/yellow TMAP wire directly with the JB4 ground "fix"? please get in touch with me at https://gbfunda.com/yo-whatsapp/ which I install from GBFunda. I shall be very thankful for this.

Last edited by axeleli65; 11-17-2022 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 06:15 AM   #39
Jordanscottbmx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James7 View Post
I know the solution for it, is it okay to pm you directly instead of going to above address.
James, please comment with this issue I’m having the same myself
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #40
Halim@PTF
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

I had the same on my M135, I actually had an aftermarket chargepipe on it but for some reason that just didn't fit properly. It popped off on dyno during a pull ripping the harness in pieces lol. Fixed them and no issues.

I had to grind the inside of that chargepipe to make it fit fine, probably some production issue that company had at the time. But since then, all good! Pulls good on pumpgas and BM3 OTS
Appreciate 0