F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Start stop shuts down and restarts the head unit
Studio RSR

10-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Start stop shuts down and restarts the head unit

Hi there. Apologies for multiple posts. I asked this question in my regional forum as well but posting here to request help from wider audience.
My f30 has a mosconi gladden system installed by a pro. Since then most of the time the audio, picture from the head unit stops for a few seconds and restarts. The same channel or song is playing though. I could hear the rear speakers only very faintly. This happens on a second and further start stop cycles.

Any suggestions for me please. I don’t want to code out the start stop as I’m planning to sell this car and need it to be in perfect condition.

Internet search came up with a voltage stabilizer but that was for older models.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Normally the ASS doesn't affect the radio. If the battery is weak it might shut the radio down during re-starts, so if this problem is recent that's where I'd look. If the problem has existed since the installation then the installation is at fault.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Normally the ASS doesn't affect the radio. If the battery is weak it might shut the radio down during re-starts, so if this problem is recent that's where I'd look. If the problem has existed since the installation then the installation is at fault.
Thanks. I’m going to get someone to have a look at the installation. I found the process too daunting hence got help installing. Also this is a 2012 model and I bought it two years ago. Hence not sure when the battery was changed. I guess these are the two things I need to check out.
Thanks again.

Would the dealer refuse to have a look at it since it’s aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Dealers tend to take your money when you're willing to part with it. Whether they can help you or not is a different story.
When I do use my ASS the only item that gets a momentary shutoff when the car restarts is my radar detector, which is powered off the console 12v outlet. That's because the power management system doesn't think something plugged into that outlet is a critical item. My radio and iDrive never go down. My first instinct is to believe your installer connected the system to the wrong power source.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Dealers tend to take your money when you're willing to part with it. Whether they can help you or not is a different story.
When I do use my ASS the only item that gets a momentary shutoff when the car restarts is my radar detector, which is powered off the console 12v outlet. That's because the power management system doesn't think something plugged into that outlet is a critical item. My radio and iDrive never go down. My first instinct is to believe your installer connected the system to the wrong power source.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I need to familiarize myself with the audio installation and will check when the installer did wrong. But I guess I will need to find help in my area. I don’t believe this would be a matter of checking connections at the battery terminal? If it is, can I upload a pic of the connections to get your advice?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
sivaengn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 320i

My 2014 320i facing similar issue, the CIC restarts automatically every minute. Worried to take it to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but I read somewhere that it could be due to a bad 12v battery. So the head unit is shut off to preserve enough juice for the restart.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Code the ASS out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #9
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivaengn View Post
My 2014 320i facing similar issue, the CIC restarts automatically every minute. Worried to take it to dealer.
Take it to an Indy.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you paid a lot of money for a professional install, you definitely should take it back to these professionals and have them look at it again. If they can't figure it out, or refuse to help, then have a good independent shop look at it. It could be a lot of different things, but when you pay someone to install something, generally they are on the hook to get it right. I'm assuming you paid quite a bit of money for this system and installation as well.

Also, coding out start-stop is a very minor, easy, and reversible modification. I'm surprised you are averse to coding out start/stop, but you installed an expensive aftermarket audio system which involves splicing audio and power wires, mounting hardware into the sheetmetal, and straining the car's alternator and battery. By comparison, changing the stop/start setting is nothing. It is basically a hidden setting. If you're worried about it, just pay the dealerships to do it, they might even do it for free.
Appreciate 0