F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Borla Exhaust Questions
Studio RSR

04-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
salvs22
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport

Borla Exhaust Questions

What's up everyone,
How many of you are running a Borla exhaust system either ATAK or S-Type, and what are your opinions on the system? How is drone, sound level compared to stock/other systems, pros&cons, etc? Anyone running it with a downpipe? I am looking for feedback before I make a decision.

I have been considering getting the ATAK system for my 335 xDrive, but I've heard there are some fitment issues with it? Can anyone elaborate?

I also have a catless downpipe that I will be installing before I get the catback, would the downpipe make it overkill with this system?

Thanks in advance, looking to hear everyone's 2 cents!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Beemmer
Private
Rep
Drives: crashed e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvs22 View Post
What's up everyone,
How many of you are running a Borla exhaust system either ATAK or S-Type, and what are your opinions on the system? How is drone, sound level compared to stock/other systems, pros&cons, etc? Anyone running it with a downpipe? I am looking for feedback before I make a decision.

I have been considering getting the ATAK system for my 335 xDrive, but I've heard there are some fitment issues with it? Can anyone elaborate?

I also have a catless downpipe that I will be installing before I get the catback, would the downpipe make it overkill with this system?

best sound setup its catless dp+ oem resonator+ mpe =no drone exquisite sound
Appreciate 3
badbread332.50
yoon_209353.50
      04-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

Go to youtube and type in Borla F30. There are tons of videos of both Attak and S-type with various DPs, etc.

I have an S-Type sitting the garage I'll get to installing one of these days. Been sitting in the box for 2 years now.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Quote:
What's up everyone,

The ATAK with catless DP sounds so freakin gnarly but I've heard from multiple people that it drones. You can't have a loud exhuast on these cars with at least some drone. The best bang for your buck systems with no drone are in order from least expensive to most.... 1) Catless DP with stock exhaust, 2) Catless DP with MPE 3) Catless DP with Akrapovic ($3300)

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Mouse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013F30 335i

I run the Corsa Touring with DP and it has VERY little drone(mainly because of the DP). I believe these go for around 1300ish now. It's not the loudest exhaust system but sounds very well tuned. Youtube videos don't do justice to exhaust sounds IMO.
      04-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sounds good, aggressive and has some drone to it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
salvs22
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Sounds good, aggressive and has some drone to it
How loud is it compared to other systems? I would like something almost as loud as a straight pipe setup. Also how is fitment on xDrive models?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

I have a Borla S Type catback with a catless DP on my F30 335i M Sport. I've done my share of researching on exhaust options and I have absolutely no regrets with these. LOVE the sound of them. Sound is very subjective -- it's different for everyone. For me, I feel no drone and even there is, it's minimal. You get that aggressive growl yet a balanced tone if you go with S type compared to ATAK. I have a friend who has AWE full exhaust with catless DP and it's slightly quieter than those. Nonetheless, still loud, which I love and it's coming from a very reputable brand. Borla is worldclass.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentan View Post
I have a Borla S Type catback with a catless DP on my F30 335i M Sport. I've done my share of researching on exhaust options and I have absolutely no regrets with these. LOVE the sound of them. Sound is very subjective -- it's different for everyone. For me, I feel no drone and even there is, it's minimal. You get that aggressive growl yet a balanced tone if you go with S type compared to ATAK. I have a friend who has AWE full exhaust with catless DP and it's slightly quieter than those. Nonetheless, still loud, which I love and it's coming from a very reputable brand. Borla is worldclass.
This sounds right. I had a Borla S on one of my other cars years ago and it was awesome. Loved the way it sounded and looked.

Quote:
What's up everyone,

I would say go with the S type if you want downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
thug108
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 335 xdrive m sport

Garage List
2013 335  [0.00]
I have a borla atak with with a challenge HFC and it sounds amazing absolutely no drone. very loud and a lot of pops and bangs. for fitment all you need to do is cut off the front hanger and re weld it in the correct location. lmk if you have any other questions
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thug108 View Post
I have a borla atak with with a challenge HFC and it sounds amazing absolutely no drone. very loud and a lot of pops and bangs. for fitment all you need to do is cut off the front hanger and re weld it in the correct location. lmk if you have any other questions
I don't see too many people on here with catted aftermarket downpipes. This is the route I intend to take as well. Still get an upgrade in performance while still keeping the exhaust cleaner than without.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
thug10820.50
      04-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 335i xDrive

Had the borla ATAK with catless dp but I took it off to try something else (electric cutouts) and now I have AWE axleback with dp (technically 5th setup ). The borla with dp sounded freaking phenomenal, winter time though it started to drone a bit but it wasnt too bad at all. This setup gave the most raw and aggressive sound I've heard on this car. If it weren't for me having to leave early/late, get complaints from neighbors, or have my parents yell at me, I'd still have this setup.

As for installing on xDrive, you simply have to cut off a hanger and reweld it as well as move the passenger side tip back just a little bit (also cut and reweld)
I've actually got a couple of videos uploaded on youtube, one on a dyno and the other is of 2 snaps I had saved. I can link them if you'd like.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #13
salvs22
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WajahatM View Post
Had the borla ATAK with catless dp but I took it off to try something else (electric cutouts) and now I have AWE axleback with dp (technically 5th setup ). The borla with dp sounded freaking phenomenal, winter time though it started to drone a bit but it wasnt too bad at all. This setup gave the most raw and aggressive sound I've heard on this car. If it weren't for me having to leave early/late, get complaints from neighbors, or have my parents yell at me, I'd still have this setup.

As for installing on xDrive, you simply have to cut off a hanger and reweld it as well as move the passenger side tip back just a little bit (also cut and reweld)
I've actually got a couple of videos uploaded on youtube, one on a dyno and the other is of 2 snaps I had saved. I can link them if you'd like.
Yes please drop the link!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 335i xDrive

Sorry the second one was kinda short cus its just from 10 second snaps. Oh forgot to mention that I have my catback for sale
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      05-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #15
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

Finally got the Borla S-type installed. Sounds good. Fitment was not very good. Just could not get the tips lined up at all. Will need go to a proper exhaust guy to see if he might be able to add another inch to one of the tips and line them up properly. Fixable, but disappointing.

Strange that I have not seen anyone on the forum complaining about their fitment with the Borla. My exhaust is older, from the original batch Borla did. The S-type they sell now has a different part number even. Maybe they tweaked the rear section slightly for better fitment.

Honestly I kinda wish I just did a resonator delete and the BMS tips. Or better yet, AWE. Less headaches.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEZV View Post
Finally got the Borla S-type installed. Sounds good. Fitment was not very good. Just could not get the tips lined up at all. Will need go to a proper exhaust guy to see if he might be able to add another inch to one of the tips and line them up properly. Fixable, but disappointing.

Strange that I have not seen anyone on the forum complaining about their fitment with the Borla. My exhaust is older, from the original batch Borla did. The S-type they sell now has a different part number even. Maybe they tweaked the rear section slightly for better fitment.

Honestly I kinda wish I just did a resonator delete and the BMS tips. Or better yet, AWE. Less headaches.
Would you happen to have sound clips of the S-Type? I am also in the market for a Borla exhaust but on the fence with which one to go with. There seems to be many ATAK sound clips but haven't heard too many S-Types. Are you also running an aftermarket DP?
      09-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #17
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
Would you happen to have sound clips of the S-Type? I am also in the market for a Borla exhaust but on the fence with which one to go with. There seems to be many ATAK sound clips but haven't heard too many S-Types. Are you also running an aftermarket DP?
Borla s type around 0:59.

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

This video is actually labeled wrong, it's the S-type and not the Attak. The guy who owned the car confirmed it on the forum.

Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #19
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
Not running a DP, but there are videos of S-types with DP on Youtube. It's loud. If I do DP, I would probably put the stock catback on, and maybe get an MPE or Remus axle-back.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #20
RedLeather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M-Sport 6MT 335i

Wanted to add to this thread regarding Borla fitment. I have a 2015 M-Sport 335i that I purchased in July. The original owner installed the Borla ATAK system but the tips did not line up at all. One tip stuck out a good bit further than the other.

I just left the exhaust shop several hours ago. He made some adjustments, but ultimately had to cut a tip, add pipe, and reweld. You would think a Borla system should fit better...
Current: 2015 Alpine White over Coral Red M-Sport 6MT 335i (EWG) - VRSF 5" High Density FMIC / VRSF Charge Pipe / VRSF Catless Downpipe / Borla ATAK / Pipercross Filter / MHD OTS Stage 2 95 Octane / BMS Spacers - 15mm front; 18mm rear - OE 442M wheels/ Rolls Royce Door Chimes / Bang & Olufsen DSP settings for H/K
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALE90N54 View Post
Wanted to add to this thread regarding Borla fitment. I have a 2015 M-Sport 335i that I purchased in July. The original owner installed the Borla ATAK system but the tips did not line up at all. One tip stuck out a good bit further than the other.

I just left the exhaust shop several hours ago. He made some adjustments, but ultimately had to cut a tip, add pipe, and reweld. You would think a Borla system should fit better...
Same issue with my S-type. I plan to have it fixed eventually as well.

8D77DE12-7B78-434A-82EF-2F83E170BD61_zpsswvfqznt by theezv, on Flickr
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #22
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeather View Post

I am in this same boat. Have been for 2 years. They actually sent me a 2nd S type system to try and it fit exactly the same. Love the sound too much to change though. Did you end up cutting the passenger side or the driver side? My passenger side sticks out atleast an inch farther than the driver.

Thanks
Appreciate 0