F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > HVAC broken on passenger side
GetBMWParts

12-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
n8thegreat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xdrive m sport

HVAC broken on passenger side

It has grown cold here in the midwest over the past few weeks and my HVAC isnt working properly. 2015 435i xdrive with just over 60,000 miles. No matter the settings on the dual zone climate control I get cool, tepid air out of the passenger side vents. Driver side heat is working properly but both passenger vents are not. Cool air blows softly out of the vents even when fan is on full and max heat for both sides.

I took it to the dealer today for annual oil change and had them look into it. Their first try was a software update which did not fix the issue but did reset all my personal settings and bimmercode changes. When I went to pick it up they were putting the under dash pannels back on and I'll have to tuck my dashcam power wire back in now. Grrr. Said they wanted a few days with it to determine if it was a motor, wiring, module, or some other part behind the dash. Seems more likely a heater core or climate control valve issue to me, but I'm no BMW expert.

I've searched here and elsewhere but cant seem to find a common solution to this problem. Does this group have any advice? My CPO warranty expires at the end of year and it would be great to get this fixed for free if a defect exists. Let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I bet there's at least a dozen threads about this problem. The usual cause is the heater core. Searching here is a PITA, as the search function is too broad. Google 'BMW heater'. It has nothing to do with the car software. A competent service department would know that.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
dadecounty3051
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

There's like me and 2 other people on here that are having the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
n8thegreat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xdrive m sport

UPDATE:
Just got the car back from the dealer and the heat is fixed! Initially they thought it was a flap behind the dash malfunctioning but ended up replacing the heater core (Thanks Billfitz). The part and labor was covered under the CPO warranty so no cost to me.
Appreciate 0