F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DPF Smell?
proTUNING Freaks

11-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
theplasticbling
Rep
Drives: 328d xdrive

DPF Smell?

Just got back from a light drive. Midway through the drive, I noticed a metally, plasticy, rubbery burning smell. Very strange. Got back to the house and parked up to notice the smell was coming from the car. I looked a little into DPF regen online and am guessing that that's what this is. The fans stayed on after I parked which further concludes my theory. Does this seem correct? Have had the car for almost 10K now and haven't experienced this smell yet so just wanna make sure.

Also, my eyes burn, am I gonna die?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
macbookair
Registered
Rep
Drives: e61

you will not die ... only your DPF regenerated... nothing more :-).
did you notice decrease of power during the regeneration?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplasticbling View Post
Just got back from a light drive. Midway through the drive, I noticed a metally, plasticy, rubbery burning smell. Very strange. Got back to the house and parked up to notice the smell was coming from the car. I looked a little into DPF regen online and am guessing that that's what this is. The fans stayed on after I parked which further concludes my theory. Does this seem correct? Have had the car for almost 10K now and haven't experienced this smell yet so just wanna make sure.

Also, my eyes burn, am I gonna die?
Could be something as simple as a Regen. However, I never smell mine. Take a look at your EGR. There have been multiple cases of clogged EGR causing high temperatures melting the intake manifolds
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Could be something as simple as a Regen. However, I never smell mine. Take a look at your EGR. There have been multiple cases of clogged EGR causing high temperatures melting the intake manifolds
I can always smell mine, my 2018 328d as well as TDI Passat all have the same smell when they regenerate. Burning odor, nothing out of ordinary. In Passat, I knew when regens happened because RPMs were always 100 RPM higher than normal. In BMW, I cannot tell until I hear fans run after car is turned off - and then of course the burning smell when I open the door. Sometimes you can faintly smell it inside the cabin, but you have to have a really good nose for that. Outside, absolutely, without a doubt the smell is there. So nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0