F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Smoke from my engine after a cold start..
Extreme Powerhouse

02-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
johnnybforbacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Smoke from my engine after a cold start..

Hi all,
Hoping someone may be able to help....

I have an F31 330D xDrive - (3 litre N57 engine I believe)

Every now and again since the EGR recall (mine hasn't been changed yet..) I pop the bonnet when starting the car to check coolant etc. A few days ago on quite a mild morning, I started the car after it had not been used for a week. I saw very slight smoke coming from the front of the engine. It stopped after about 30 seconds. No warning lights on the dash, no smells, no levels of anything dropped...

I then drove the car for around 150 miles with no other probs or warnings. Have also used it since and each time, popped the bonnet to find no smoke anywhere and no other probs. Any idea what this could have been?

Any help would be much appreciated. Been tempted to take it into BMW but all they do these days is plug it into a computer which will still give me no idea...

Have tried to embed the video of it, but does not seem to work. Try this link to get a better idea - https://streamable.com/uv0lr
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

I want to guess something leaking slowly has had a chance to build up from sitting and its burning off. I'd take off the engine cover and check around the valve cover or the pcv connections
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The CCV pipe is just to the left of where the smoke is emanating from, so it's possible that something was weeping down onto the exhaust manifold. Did you notice any smell, i.e. exhaust or oil burning ? It could also just have been some condensation which was evaporating as the engine warmed.

At this stage I'd say it's nothing to worry about unless you notice it several more times.

Have a good look around with a torch to see whether there's anything obvious.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
johnnybforbacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The CCV pipe is just to the left of where the smoke is emanating from, so it's possible that something was weeping down onto the exhaust manifold. Did you notice any smell, i.e. exhaust or oil burning ? It could also just have been some condensation which was evaporating as the engine warmed.

At this stage I'd say it's nothing to worry about unless you notice it several more times.

Have a good look around with a torch to see whether there's anything obvious.
There was no smell at all. It was a very damp morning and even my front drive way was very slippery so potentially just something laying on it which evaporated? I've checked every time since when starting up and there has been no sign of anything. Hopefully that is all it was but I'll keep checking.

It is booked into BMW at the end of March of which they want £135 just to plug it into the error code machine... Tempted just to not bother..
Appreciate 0