F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Used cars prices are going bonkers!
ARMA SPEED

06-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #45
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Mr TP is getting itchy fingers.. he's been looking at Velars!
Judging by the last email I had from DtD you could still get 16% off a new Velar with them, whether you could get the stock you want is another matter.....

I'd probably take an F Pace P400 HSE R dynamic.... silver with red leather interior....black pack etc
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #46
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Mr TP is getting itchy fingers.. he's been looking at Velars!
Judging by the last email I had from DtD you could still get 16% off a new Velar with them, whether you could get the stock you want is another matter.....

I'd probably take an F Pace P400 HSE R dynamic.... silver with red leather interior....black pack etc
Now the F Pace has had a substantial redesign inside, it's back on the cards as well!

And strangely a 7 series! He's tempted by some of the crazy offers on them at the moment!

I have absolutely no idea where's he's going with this!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #47
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Its a conundrum isn't it? I don't need my car, I have another. And whilst I put in a sizable deposit, I can get that and more out if I sell now....

But there is more to life than money and you have to have some fun.... and I just know if I sold it wearing my sensible head I'd be buying another wearing my less sensible head a few weeks or months later....

So I might as well keep the one I have a bit longer... and it is nice and clean now!
I know - still, a nice wee 135i might still satisfy the ageing hooligan and save a few quid in the process...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #48
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
I've emailed them to see what the script is, and will let you know....
Mine is due to be built the week after next... I got carried away with the options mind...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #49
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Your experience must be different from mine as selling my old one privately - and negotiating on the replacement without a part-ex in the equation - has invariably worked best for me; aside from getting more for my existing car I've always found it easier to negotiate a good price on the replacement without a part-ex muddying the waters. Perhaps it's different if you're part-exchanging something really desirable to a dealer who wants to retail it on their forecourt but most just move run of the mill stuff straight through the trade; Mrs JNW1's sister is fancying a used Mini but, even in normal times, you don't see many non-Minis on the forecourts of Mini dealers - problem at the moment is there aren't very many Minis either!

I do take your point about commission on finance but (as I obviously should have made clear!) when I was talking cash buyer in this context I didn't necessarily mean she wouldn't take finance, only that she had nothing to sell or trade-in. That said I've never been offered a better deal on a used car when I've offered to take finance; different with a new car when there's been support from someone like BMWFS to take a PCP but on a used one whenever I've asked if they can do better if I take their finance there's been nothing doing....
I tend to agree with you in that I have kept the two sides separate... and have done better for it...

When I ordered the 135, I rolled in the Golf as a p/ex (for various reasons, it worked out best when I originally did the deal).. Subsequently, however, it has been better to separate the two, keeping the discounts on the 135 and settling the VW myself as a separate matter...

I just got lucky that I got the discount on the new car when it was offered (I don't think they are matching that now, for instance) and then had the good fortune to luck into this s/h car bonanza...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #50
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
It has got to a point now if you want Big Discounts with the likes of BMW, Audi, Merc etc you need to take out their finance. Nothing stopping you paying it off as soon as you take delivery though which is what I did with the 840 and it didnt cost me a penny extra
Not really the case at the moment as BMWFS are not adding in any additional contributions, so the discount you negotiate from the dealers stands whether or not you take finance... Yes, if BMWFS are adding in an extra £2k contribution, then it matters, but there is £0 contribution at the mo'...

I don't think the dealers' business models factor in too much extra contribution by way of commissions... In fact, I am not sure that even works like that now as there are restrictions on finance products that are different now to the way they were say 6/7 years ago...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      06-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #51
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
On the other hand you could have splashed out on a new M3/M4 and then needed to sell it - I see a few about with 1000 miles on the clock and they're worth over £20k less than the purchase price according to WBAC - at this rate mine will be worth more than a G80 in 12 months
Even on a new G80, no one is paying near list, are they?

And yours will never be worth more than a G80, the looks will grow and the F80 will start to look old hat.... that's just how life works but takes a bit longer when the new one is more radical....
I think a lot has changed in the last few weeks… discounts are not now what they were in April… dealers have to make margin now on less available cars.. it is seriously bonkers out there at the mo…
Agree TRL is openly advertising one at about 10% already and it is still early days.
      06-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #52
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

I've just got out of mine via Motorway. WBAC /Motorway were £500 apart - just hope that the pickup goes smooth without deductions.

Tried to sell back in August, just sold yesterday for 18% more despite mileage going up 1,500 since - as I'm confirmed to be WFH till at least October I've got plenty of time to find something else.

I'll just have to get used to slumming it in the dog wagon if we need to go out!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      06-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #53
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Not really the case at the moment as BMWFS are not adding in any additional contributions, so the discount you negotiate from the dealers stands whether or not you take finance... Yes, if BMWFS are adding in an extra £2k contribution, then it matters, but there is £0 contribution at the mo'...

I don't think the dealers' business models factor in too much extra contribution by way of commissions... In fact, I am not sure that even works like that now as there are restrictions on finance products that are different now to the way they were say 6/7 years ago...
I timed it perfectly, £26k IRC off the 840 and I have just checked the price of the M2 on WBAC and it is slightly below what I got back in March so all good

I dont think you will get much off of BMW at the moment discount wise, no where near the chunk I got anyway. I would be sticking in the current climate unless of course you can sell now and wait for 6 months or so to buy and then you may be quids in.

Son is eyeing up getting shot of his Range Rover (actually still registered to me!!) for a 911 which I think could be a good move.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:17 AM   #54
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
I've just got out of mine via Motorway. WBAC /Motorway were £500 apart - just hope that the pickup goes smooth without deductions.

Tried to sell back in August, just sold yesterday for 18% more despite mileage going up 1,500 since - as I'm confirmed to be WFH till at least October I've got plenty of time to find something else.

I'll just have to get used to slumming it in the dog wagon if we need to go out!
Same here , but I used wizzle.

Pick up next week - like you, I hope they don't deduct too much on pick up. Worst case, they have to walk away and we go back to WBAC.

All going well, we are looking at £3.5k profit. 🤞
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:39 AM   #55
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post

Pick up next week - like you, I hope they don't deduct too much on pick up. Worst case, they have to walk away and we go back to WBAC.

All going well, we are looking at £3.5k profit. ��
Profit??? Isnt your Mrs an accountant...? ask her if she thinks she has made a profit on buying a car for £40k and selling it for £25k...

Appreciate 2
Rbrown2763.00
rokut398.00
      06-24-2021, 03:21 AM   #56
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post

All going well, we are looking at £3.5k profit. ��
Profit??? Isnt your Mrs an accountant...? ask her if she thinks she has made a profit on buying a car for £40k and selling it for £25k...

Her "shopping maths" is always questionable!!! Usually starts "I saved...."

Agreed profit is probably wrong word -

Option 1 - return car to BMW as it is at the end of its agreement and potentially get some wear and tear charges.

Option 2 - clear finance and sell car for £3.5k more than outstanding finance.

So, £3.5k "good beans" in the bank.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:23 AM   #57
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
It has got to a point now if you want Big Discounts with the likes of BMW, Audi, Merc etc you need to take out their finance. Nothing stopping you paying it off as soon as you take delivery though which is what I did with the 840 and it didnt cost me a penny extra

Agreed. l ordered this month and cash vs finance made no difference to the discount.

Last edited by Rhino at Work; 06-24-2021 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:31 AM   #58
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

I'm missing something..? Must be..

It seems many folk are chomping at the bit to hand back fantastic cars (M40i's etc) for the chance of a couple of £1000 'profit' ?
The enjoyment of these cars is surely worth more than a few £1000? I'd rather keep the 40i.

Other forums are talking of the same. 'if I hand back now I'm £500 up and can get out my agreement' etc etc...'
But you still need a car, right?

Most would still need to own a car so do they go for a cheaper agreement now they realise that £450 a month was a little steep, or go for the same performance again.? Using your £500 as deposit? And then it all starts again..

I'm very glad I always choose to fully own outright an older model rather than pcp/hp something 3x the value.
I need not worry about equity or final values and thus never tempted to let a 340i go for a few pounds in my pocket to get out of a deal. Only to then start another deal when I miss it and want the speed and noise back..
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      06-24-2021, 04:48 AM   #59
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post
I'm missing something..? Must be..

It seems many folk are chomping at the bit to hand back fantastic cars (M40i's etc) for the chance of a couple of £1000 'profit' ?
The enjoyment of these cars is surely worth more than a few £1000? I'd rather keep the 40i.

Other forums are talking of the same. 'if I hand back now I'm £500 up and can get out my agreement' etc etc...'
But you still need a car, right?

Most would still need to own a car so do they go for a cheaper agreement now they realise that £450 a month was a little steep, or go for the same performance again.? Using your £500 as deposit? And then it all starts again..

I'm very glad I always choose to fully own outright an older model rather than pcp/hp something 3x the value.
I need not worry about equity or final values and thus never tempted to let a 340i go for a few pounds in my pocket to get out of a deal. Only to then start another deal when I miss it and want the speed and noise back..
As with all things its horses for courses. I could manage without my car, have another one of my own, can use my daughters GLE, and frankly dont drive very much these days anyway! Its also a hobby / interest so I throw some money at having things that I want and have some interest to me. Change is as they say sometimes as good as a rest....

I own my other car outright and that has been in the family nearly 6 years, as its a tool and not a hobby.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post
I'm missing something..? Must be...
You are on a car forum... man maths is a fickle beast.

To me, the added used car value is only worth something if you are leaving the market. Or you have found some 'exceptional' deal in the current climate, which makes the cost of change very attractive.

I'd rather my car was worth say £1,000 less, if the 'nearly new' car is discounted £5,000 more than current prices. Not the other way around, as it appears to be, when you look to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      06-24-2021, 05:54 AM   #61
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

To me, the added used car value is only worth something if you are leaving the market. Or you have found some 'exceptional' deal in the current climate, which makes the cost of change very attractive.

I'd rather my car was worth say £1,000 less, if the 'nearly new' car is discounted £5,000 more than current prices. Not the other way around, as it appears to be, when you look to upgrade.
It's like when they used to focus on the % of new price a car would be worth after three years and use this to say that a BMW was better value than a Mondeo. Sure, it's worth more after three years but it's also lost more in pure monetary value.

Similarly with house prices; yes, your £200k house is worth more because of the house market going up by 20% since you bought it, but that £300k house you wanted to move into has now gone up 20% too and that means more cash. Increasing house prices are only good if you buy them as an investment rather than as somewhere to live, and the same I would say is true of a used car market that's going up too, unless you chance upon a killer deal as you say.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #62
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:

It's like when they used to focus on the % of new price a car would be worth after three years and use this to say that a BMW was better value than a Mondeo. Sure, it's worth more after three years but it's also lost more in pure monetary value.

Similarly with house prices; yes, your £200k house is worth more because of the house market going up by 20% since you bought it, but that £300k house you wanted to move into has now gone up 20% too and that means more cash. Increasing house prices are only good if you buy them as an investment rather than as somewhere to live, and the same I would say is true of a used car market that's going up too, unless you chance upon a killer deal as you say.
I think the majority of those trading in are thinking, correctly, that the used car market is at a high and as they don't need a car, or haven't used it really in the past 12+ months, get the cash now and sit on it for a while (maybe even invest it and gain on it rather than losing it in a depreciating asset).

Come 6 months time, when they need a car, prices should be back to normal and then they'll get another.

Armaan
Appreciate 1
speedski547.00
      06-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #63
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I'm currently caught in two minds over this. I really like my car and when the PCP is up in October I quite fancy purchasing it outright. However, currently I can get somewhere in the region of £6k more out of selling it, paying off the finance and deducting my initial deposit. That 6k could pay to lease something else for a year until I decide if I want to go fully electric or if anything else catches my eye.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #64
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
I think the majority of those trading in are thinking, correctly, that the used car market is at a high and as they don't need a car, or haven't used it really in the past 12+ months, get the cash now and sit on it for a while (maybe even invest it and gain on it rather than losing it in a depreciating asset).

Come 6 months time, when they need a car, prices should be back to normal and then they'll get another.

Armaan
Some of us only have one car. Selling one, we need another, even if we aren't using it much at present.

Easy to forget we are on a BMW forum, where many have more than one car as normal 'ownership' (hire/lease/pcp), and can more readily play the car market.

Not sure we'll be back to normal in six months. Either with new or used car prices. Was at my dealer on Monday, used stock is very poor and you don't get much for your money looking at the sticker prices.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #65
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
I'm currently caught in two minds over this. I really like my car and when the PCP is up in October I quite fancy purchasing it outright. However, currently I can get somewhere in the region of £6k more out of selling it, paying off the finance and deducting my initial deposit. That 6k could pay to lease something else for a year until I decide if I want to go fully electric or if anything else catches my eye.
You could buy it out, run it a further year, (as you really like it), most likely at far less than the '£6k' and then decide what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #66
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
You could buy it out, run it a further year, (as you really like it), most likely at far less than the '£6k' and then decide what you want to do.
True, and that's probably the way it will go. But you could also buy it from me (one of the only G31 540's with adaptive drive) for even more money and I'd have more to spend!
Appreciate 0