F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Springs DIY
Studio RSR

01-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #45
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjake007 View Post
added benefits of:
- less weight
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #46
colobrio
Rep
Drives: 2016 3281i

I'm just adding another thanks to drjake007 for the write up (and also to lkstaack for post 41). Using this as my guide, I was able to do this recently as my first significant car do-it-myself, and put in camber plates while I was at it. It took me even longer than you'd expect, but I'm happy with the results, and appreciate the time that went into writing it up. The difference on the AutoX course is very noticeable, and I'm looking forward to getting it back on track for the first time post-mods in just under two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #47
jimmyfloyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

I am interested to hear about ride quality on the Dinan springs from those who added them. Considering them, but would like a similar ride quality to what I have now.
      05-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #48
larson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018M4 2016M5 2014X3 2007E90

I've been struggling with my Dinan springs and wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. My car is a 2014 335i xDrive with standard suspension (no ECD, no M sport), and my BMW dealer installed the springs. After driving for a day or two the front springs become unseated at the top mount and start making a squeaking sound. The springs actually rotate out of their seated position. When the front suspension is at full droop (car up on lift) you can easily turn the front springs into position with your hands. There is very little outward force being exerted allowing the springs to almost float at full droop. Has anyone else experienced something similar when installing your own Dinan springs?

My dealer has reinstalled the springs several times, and I've been working very closely with Dinan Support who have been very responsive. All the basic troubleshooting (verified correct spring part number, verified installed properly, etc.) is complete, but no one can figure out why the front springs hop out of place.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #49
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larson View Post
I've been struggling with my Dinan springs and wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. My car is a 2014 335i xDrive with standard suspension (no ECD, no M sport), and my BMW dealer installed the springs. After driving for a day or two the front springs become unseated at the top mount and start making a squeaking sound. The springs actually rotate out of their seated position. When the front suspension is at full droop (car up on lift) you can easily turn the front springs into position with your hands. There is very little outward force being exerted allowing the springs to almost float at full droop. Has anyone else experienced something similar when installing your own Dinan springs?

My dealer has reinstalled the springs several times, and I've been working very closely with Dinan Support who have been very responsive. All the basic troubleshooting (verified correct spring part number, verified installed properly, etc.) is complete, but no one can figure out why the front springs hop out of place.
Sounds unusual to me that there is zero spring tension when the strut assembly is completely extended. I've installed dozens of lowering springs in my day and there has always been some sort of tension.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
colobrio
Rep
Drives: 2016 3281i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
I am interested to hear about ride quality on the Dinan springs from those who added them. Considering them, but would like a similar ride quality to what I have now.
I've been happy with them. I have an RWD with the track pack (adaptive suspension). I installed the Dinan sport springs and bump stops. I didn't find it any less comfortable until I got shockware (always planned, just took a few weeks to get around to it). With shockware added I'd say it's a little harsher on rough city streets, but to a smaller degree than I expected. The performance upside definitely has been bigger than the ride quality downside.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #51
Patel151
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘14 BMW 320i

Sorry to bump this thread (didn't want to create a new thread for a question), but 1. how are you supposed to torque down the nuts that require the use of special tools? I have the torque wrench, but it doesn't allow to put a hex/torx through. If I try to torque those down, they would keep spinning I'm assuming without using the T30 and 6mm allen key...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #52
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patel151 View Post
Sorry to bump this thread (didn't want to create a new thread for a question), but 1. how are you supposed to torque down the nuts that require the use of special tools? I have the torque wrench, but it doesn't allow to put a hex/torx through. If I try to torque those down, they would keep spinning I'm assuming without using the T30 and 6mm allen key...
I'm assuming you're referring to the end link lock nuts. For those use a pass-through socket on the nut so you can still put the torx through to counter hold the ball joint. Then attach a crows foot attachment to your torque wrench so you can use that to tighten the nut.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #53
Patel151
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to the end link lock nuts. For those use a pass-through socket on the nut so you can still put the torx through to counter hold the ball joint. Then attach a crows foot attachment to your torque wrench so you can use that to tighten the nut.
Gotcha! The backs don’t require anything complicated, so it’s pretty easy. Just the fronts I’m worried about. I heard that adding the crowsfoot attachment to the torque wrench will throw the specs off, is that true? Or could I still use the specs that were used in the DIY posted by OP?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #54
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I heard that adding the crowsfoot attachment to the torque wrench will throw the specs off, is that true? Or could I still use the specs that were used in the DIY posted by OP?
It won't change the torque applied if the crows foot is oriented 90deg from the handle.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #55
Patel151
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It won't change the torque applied if the crows foot is oriented 90deg from the handle.
So this is how it’s supposed to be attached to the torque wrench, correct? 90 degrees from the handle, so it’s basically perpendicular to the handle (darker crowfoot). Sorry for the questions, last time I changed my springs on my E46, I didn’t torque the nuts lol I wanna be safe this time
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #56
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So this is how it’s supposed to be attached to the torque wrench, correct? 90 degrees from the handle, so it’s basically perpendicular to the handle (darker crowfoot). Sorry for the questions, last time I changed my springs on my E46, I didn’t torque the nuts lol I wanna be safe this time
Yes, just like the darker crows foot in the diagram.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #57
Patel151
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, just like the darker crows foot in the diagram.
Thank you so much! Will be installing springs this week, hopefully all will be well.
Appreciate 0