F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > "Seized" Caliper
Studio RSR

09-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
illusionx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

"Seized" Caliper

Just came for tire change to a local mavis. I'm being told my front left caliper is "seized" being told it's a 'ticking time bomb'. They showed me the brake. Front pads is more worn than the rest.

Is there anything I can try to fix this . I cannot open it up or work with brake fluids.

The mavis folks are saving they can get a caliper that's not bmw but made by the same company. Also they said they would need to bleed the brakes and put .4 brake fluid.

Any reccomendation ? I'm totally lost as the car only has 35k miles on it and bmw apparently serviced it before my free maintenance expired about a year ago.

It drives fine I don't feel a difference at all ? Wouldn't have even noticed the brake is a problem if they didn't point it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A seized caliper wouldn't work at all, so the car would pull seriously to the right when braking. What's more likely is pads that aren't moving freely in the carrier, which will cause excess wear, the result of inadequate lubrication of the pad/carrier interface. Another possibility is that the caliper piston isn't moving freely. Any competent brake shop would have no problem fixing it, but since the caliper has to come off the car to do it you might as well get the front pads replaced while you're at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
SD Convert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionx View Post
I'm being told my front left caliper is "seized" being told it's a 'ticking time bomb'. They showed me the brake. Front pads is more worn than the rest.
While the suggestion from Billfitz is the most likely cause, it's also possible that the piston isn't retracting properly (a caliper problem). It's also possible, but unlikely at 35K miles, that there's enough wear where the pads move to cause them to not move freely.

In most cars (I haven't driven a BMW long enough to know its patterns), the front pads wear more quickly than the rears. Also, there can be some difference in wear between the two sides.

Is this a 1-piston or 4-piston caliper?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
illusionx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Convert View Post
While the suggestion from Billfitz is the most likely cause, it's also possible that the piston isn't retracting properly (a caliper problem). It's also possible, but unlikely at 35K miles, that there's enough wear where the pads move to cause them to not move freely.

In most cars (I haven't driven a BMW long enough to know its patterns), the front pads wear more quickly than the rears. Also, there can be some difference in wear between the two sides.

Is this a 1-piston or 4-piston caliper?
Not sure at all. He showed me the front left caliper then showed me the 2 pads on it. Seems 1 pad is super thin other looks brand new. So he said it's likely a seized Caliper. To my recollection bmw changed the pads about a year ago. But not sure if they selectivly change 1 pad if it's under the free maintenance. My car drives fine I wouldn't have known this to be a issue if he didn't point it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionx View Post
He showed me the front left caliper then showed me the 2 pads on it. Seems 1 pad is super thin other looks brand new.
That's exactly what mine looked like when I had to change pads at 11k, because the factory hadn't lubricated the pads and carriers:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1471617
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
illusionx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That's exactly what mine looked like when I had to change pads at 11k, because the factory hadn't lubricated the pads and carriers:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1471617
Thanks allot for the detailed advice. I don't use my car much for the most part it sits outside. I'll have a brake shop work on it.

Any reccomendations for non bmw brake pads ? Or are the bmw the best ?
Also for brake oil any brands you would use over bmw ?

I really appreciate your feedback. Saved me from. Making a 650 dollar investment .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Akebono pads are well regarded. Pads aren't oiled, they're lubricated with brake grease. I use Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Or if you are asking about brake fluid, something along the line of ATE Dot 4
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #9
illusionx
Private
Rep

I was able to have the brakes serviced. The guys just hade to lube everything up well. no need for a new caliper Thank You all for your help
Appreciate 0