F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Timing Chain/service question
Extreme Powerhouse

10-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Deeter
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

N20 Timing Chain/service question

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help provided. Been lurking for a bit and finally decided to register.

I have a 2013 328i Sport with about 68K on the odometer. Build date of 3/13, and the care was a southern car for about 95% of it's life. It's in GREAT shape and the car was well taken care of. It rides pretty well, and the 6 speed shifts smooth....

So, the BMW in my hometown is telling me that because I don't have any problems now, and the fact that I am a few months out of the extended warranty, I am due no assistance in replacing the timing chain. Kind of bummed, but it is what it is. I don't expect them to just replace it when I am not having any problems, but I also don't want any surprises and don't feel like paying the $5K they quoted me with a discount...

The silver lining is that my brother works for a BMW dealer out of state, but in the state I purchased the car in (they did the initial pre-purchase inspection and it passed with flying colors) and they are willing to help me out. I can get the parts and labor done for just over $1200. I am obviously going to do that, and look to bring it in sometime over the spring. But my question is, is there ANYTHING else I should have them do while things are apart? I would like to have any preventative stuff done now, so I have no surprises later on. I don't feel like driving my car 8 hours to get work done, and I am personally not a mechanic...

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. I hate using the term "money is no object"...but in this case, I am willing to spend a bit to make sure I have no major issues moving forward...

THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
Deeter
Rep

One last thing to add, according to the TSB listed at the bottom, my car is not impacted by the oil pump issue due to manufacturing date....

Should I still have it replaced while they are in there?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46526-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Most of the cost of timing chain or oil pump replacement is labor, so as long as you're doing the one you might as well do the other.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Deeter
Rep

Yeah I guess you're right. Anything else while they are there? Water Pump? Prone seals/gaskets? I am in no rush to get the car back, and if they keep it for a few months I don't care, so I'd rather just have it all done....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeter View Post
Yeah I guess you're right. Anything else while they are there? Water Pump? Prone seals/gaskets? I am in no rush to get the car back, and if they keep it for a few months I don't care, so I'd rather just have it all done....
You could change the valve cover. Tends to crack and leak. Very common on high mileage BMWs. You only have to pay for the part. They shouldn't charge for extra labour. The part itself is pricey, around $500.