F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > "Comfortable" ride for F36 xDrive
proTUNING Freaks

04-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

"Comfortable" ride for F36 xDrive

I say "comfortable" in that I'm talking about everyday driving over average roads where I'd like to eliminate as much as possible the jarring I get from my current E90 on just the strips in the road and moderate bumps.

Getting ready to order an F36 and for aesthetic reasons am debating over purely a Sport car vs. M Sport which lead to looking deeper at adaptive M. From what I can gather the preferred setup on an M Sport car would be adaptive M plus shockwave.

I guess the question is will an M Sport car in comfort mode with shockwave do a nice job of attempting to absorb those everyday bumps in the road? I get it's not meant to be a Cadillac, I'm just trying to gauge the best overall setup for a new F36.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I ordered my 2017 F36 RWD (not xDrive) with M Sport and Adaptive M Suspension. Very happy. I suggest to order Adaptive M Suspension for your xDrive vehicle.

Shockwave upgrade will make Comfort mode behave more like Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360fg View Post
I say "comfortable" in that I'm talking about everyday driving over average roads where I'd like to eliminate as much as possible the jarring I get from my current E90 on just the strips in the road and moderate bumps.

Getting ready to order an F36 and for aesthetic reasons am debating over purely a Sport car vs. M Sport which lead to looking deeper at adaptive M. From what I can gather the preferred setup on an M Sport car would be adaptive M plus shockwave.

I guess the question is will an M Sport car in comfort mode with shockwave do a nice job of attempting to absorb those everyday bumps in the road? I get it's not meant to be a Cadillac, I'm just trying to gauge the best overall setup for a new F36.
Don't worry, every F3x has been softened for everyone who complained about the E9x having a harsh ride. Any suspension will do. Standard suspension and xdrive give you the best maximum float. Shockware with the adaptive reduces the float a bit.

Don't understand why you'd want shockware if you're looking for comfort. I really think you should look at an A4 for a more comfortable ride.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Don't understand why you'd want shockware if you're looking for comfort. I really think you should look at an A4 for a more comfortable ride.
Would have bought an A4 before the VW diesel debacle, I really don't like to reward bad behavior when I have the opportunity to do otherwise. I also prefer a Sensatec car over leather and the F36 works well for that as well.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360fg View Post
Would have bought an A4 before the VW diesel debacle, I really don't like to reward bad behavior when I have the opportunity to do otherwise. I also prefer a Sensatec car over leather and the F36 works well for that as well.
Fair point. What about comfort of mercedes? don't get shockware until you drive your new car a while and want a bit more firmness than the sports setting with adaptive.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Fair point. What about comfort of mercedes? don't get shockware until you drive your new car a while and want a bit more firmness than the sports setting with adaptive.
Not a huge fan of the current C Class. I'm sold on the 440, purely attempting to tweak my build. After driving my E90 for 5 years they all ride like a dream in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I've got an F36 xDrive with EDC. Comfort mode is definitely cush. It should serve you well if you're interested in a comfortable ride (although not as floaty as MBs). If your local stealership has any samples for you to test drive it'll be your best gauge.

Personally I'm more interested in a firmer ride so I've since lowered my car, replaced the RFTs and added Shockware. Ride quality is awesome now in Comfort Mode and even better in Sport/Sport+. Not jarring IMHO.