F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F32 X-Drive Coilover Install
proTUNING Freaks

05-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport

Exclamation F32 X-Drive Coilover Install

Just picked up a set of KW coilovers for my 435i X-drive. I'm debating on saving myself $500+ and putting them in myself.

Anybody have any tips/DIY's?

Is there a guide for all the torque specs?

Ive installed full suspension on all of my previous cars, but this seems a little more intimidating...

Any input is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbweber View Post
Just picked up a set of KW coilovers for my 435i X-drive. I'm debating on saving myself $500+ and putting them in myself.

Ive installed full suspension on all of my previous cars, but this seems a little more intimidating...

It's really easy, especially if you have a buddy who can help... should be about an hour a corner to get them done and that's with some ample beer breaks.

If you google the torque specs you can find them, I don't remember exactly what they are, but make sure you torque everything under load. The top hat nut especially, I forgot this step and had a bad rattle.

Rears are quite easy, two bolts to remove on the control arm and then the strut bolts, easier than on E90 imo. You'll want to lightly grease the lower part of the front strut so it's easier to get into the knuckle.

You probably won't nail the height on all four corners the first time, so it's recommended to thread the collar all the way up so the car will sit at its highest, then spin them down accordingly to the desired height. The rears are a bit of a pain to adjust, you pretty much have to take the entire assembly out, but it's not that bad you should be able to do it in 30 min

If the KWs have dampening adjustment, it's recommended you start with 9/16 stiffness. My city has really shitty roads, so I found 7/16 to be a good level. Click all the way clockwise and you are at 16, then click back from there.

I love my street comforts KW makes an excellent system, you will love them
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbweber View Post

It's really easy, especially if you have a buddy who can help... should be about an hour a corner to get them done and that's with some ample beer breaks.

If you google the torque specs you can find them, I don't remember exactly what they are, but make sure you torque everything under load. The top hat nut especially, I forgot this step and had a bad rattle.

Rears are quite easy, two bolts to remove on the control arm and then the strut bolts, easier than on E90 imo. You'll want to lightly grease the lower part of the front strut so it's easier to get into the knuckle.

You probably won't nail the height on all four corners the first time, so it's recommended to thread the collar all the way up so the car will sit at its highest, then spin them down accordingly to the desired height. The rears are a bit of a pain to adjust, you pretty much have to take the entire assembly out, but it's not that bad you should be able to do it in 30 min

If the KWs have dampening adjustment, it's recommended you start with 9/16 stiffness. My city has really shitty roads, so I found 7/16 to be a good level. Click all the way clockwise and you are at 16, then click back from there.

I love my street comforts KW makes an excellent system, you will love them
Awesome! Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0