F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > **#%|!!?>$** Loose strut went through the bottom of the spindle***
GetBMWParts

03-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Exclamation **#%|!!?>$** Loose strut went through the bottom of the spindle***

File this one in “it’s always something.”

As some of you may have read, I picked up a clean, well maintained 2013 328i M Sport with a stick after a ton of searching.

The previous owner changed the oil often, recently had the brakes on all 4 corners replaced, and had the damntronic struts replaced with the black bilsteins.

Friday night, I hit a large unmarked bump that is part of current road construction on a local side street on the way to the car wash. I took sever pics, you can see where I hit the brakes, and let off to try to unload the suspensin before hitting the bump.

With my e90, hitting bump stops was a common occurance, and I have been pleasently suprised with how much less jarring the f30 is in general.

From what I can tell, something wasn’t tightened down, because I was expecting to see a broken spring. As I jacked the car up, the wheel travel wasnt changing as I expected. So I compared the pass side with the left, and noticed that the strut had gone thru the bottom of the spindle. Beyond a new endlink, I won’t know what other parts I should expect to be buying. Forunately, I sell cars at a very good independent dealer (awesome people to work for, theres not a promise they have made to a client or an employee they haven’t kept in my 2 years here) and we sell a fair amount of BMWs, and all of our techs are very good. They did the majority of my e36 m3 suspension overhaul last winter.

I was trying to get abhead start on getting parts together, I imagine the tophat is toast, the endlink was taken, it may need a tierod?

It may also be a good time to replace the lower control arms with f80 units.

Any other ideas? I have been looking online to see if any of the bolts are single use, and hopefully the shaft on the strut is ok.

If I can find a place to host pics now that photobucket kicked the bucket, I will put pics up.

Thanks folks.
      03-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

You can host your images on imgur or upload directly to bimmerpost
      03-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
When I bought my F32 one of the struts had been bottomed out and was poking through the knuckle more than it should, I didn't notice at first but after I put spacers on I could see the camber was way off. I replaced the strut, knuckle, drop link, and both control arms to be sure, after that no issues. I believe most of those bolts are single use, they're not expensive so I just replaced them.

On a side note, contact the construction company, they have insurance. I hit a huge pothole while driving over a road under construction which completely annihilated one of my tires (miraculously no suspension components were damaged). I took tons of photos of the road and damage then contacted the construction company and they asked me to fill out a claims form. I said I had x-drive and needed matching tires, they paid for 4 new michelin pilot sports.
Appreciate 0