F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake help
Studio RSR

04-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
Jjb.f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

Brake help

So my brake light came on and I’m looking to get some suggestions on brake pads ! I have a 2012 335 f30 sport line , I’m not sure if I have the m sport brakes or how to tell

I’m also open to brake kit suggestions (rotors and pads)

Anything helps thank you !

Looked around online just want to some recommendations
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:32 AM   #2
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Enter your VIN at http://bimmer.work and you'll learn all sorts of stuff about your car.
Sport Line is not the same as M Sport which is not the same as M.

There are several excellent parts shops on the Internet. Two in particular are FCPEuro and ECStuning. They sell many brake kits, and they'll sell them based on your VIN to be certain. They have pre-sales people who can answer a lot of your questions as well.

You will at least need new pads and wear sensors. You can use a micrometer to measure whether you need new rotors. In most cases you don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjb.f30 View Post
So my brake light came on and I’m looking to get some suggestions on brake pads ! I have a 2012 335 f30 sport line , I’m not sure if I have the m sport brakes or how to tell

I’m also open to brake kit suggestions (rotors and pads)

Anything helps thank you !

Looked around online just want to some recommendations
There are dozens of previous requests and recommendations for brake pads to be found in the Brake and Suspension forum.

I suggest you look there and post if necessary

04-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

...and I'll suggest you stay with an OE compound and 'probably' blank rotors.

So many of the recommendations for 'other' than OE, come from those who care about either dust or tracking. Dust, in my mind, shouldn't be considered a factor--stopping is all brakes are supposed to do. Dust is the sign they're braking well.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
...and I'll suggest y
And I'd suggest the Brake and Suspention Forum
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
And I'd suggest the Brake and Suspention Forum
That's hard to argue against...unless 'it' causes him to get confused from all the opposing advice.

BMW engineers built a really nice car, including the brakes. For 'purpose' braking, like dedicated track, of course there are good alternatives. But for a combination to stop in the many conditions the car may see, I, personally, trust what bmw engineers came up with before I'd trust the anecdotal reports from Internet people, each of whom may just have spent thousands of dollars on brakes and each trying to justify why their decision was the best one.

I'm old-ish and been on bmw forums since '94...different cars, same discussions. Keeping the car stock avoids many problems, and an untold number of unanticipated consequences.

OP, I think you should read the forum recommended, no doubt. If you're asking, you should learn all you can about the most important system on your car. Don't make yourself sick, though--have a beer or two handy.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
That's hard to argue against...unless 'it' causes him to get confused from all the opposing advice.

BMW engineers built a really nice car, including the brakes. For 'purpose' braking, like dedicated track, of course there are good alternatives. But for a combination to stop in the many conditions the car may see, I, personally, trust what bmw engineers came up with before I'd trust the anecdotal reports from Internet people, each of whom may just have spent thousands of dollars on brakes and each trying to justify why their decision was the best one.

I'm old-ish and been on bmw forums since '94...different cars, same discussions. Keeping the car stock avoids many problems, and an untold number of unanticipated consequences.

OP, I think you should read the forum recommended, no doubt. If you're asking, you should learn all you can about the most important system on your car. Don't make yourself sick, though--have a beer or two handy.
So you recommend B&S forum.

Also, the manual stricly says no no no to racing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0